It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American schools should have some sort of cell phone jammer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
whether its a actuall jammer or some sort of special paint, cell phones are out of hand at school (or atleast mine so i assume its every where) everyone is always texting during class, which causes teachers to warn them or give a "empty" threat which wastes my class time....

the school is supposed to take them but none of the teachers do they just warn...

schools in india use jammers why not usa?

mod edit: title spelling

[edit on 13-1-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Unfortunately jamming cell phones, even when done for a good purpose is Illegal in the US.

I think there are times and places where cell phone jamming should happen. Cinemas, Schools, and other locations should be able to apply for a special license that gives them the ability to jam cell phone use. I also think that Automobiles should have built in jammers to prevent driving while on the phone. I am certain I will get a lot of flack for stating this, but it has been proven that talking on the cell phone does indeed interfere with your mental abilities while doing important tasks such as driving.

You can buy cell phone jammers on the Internet, but if you get caught using one you could face serious fines and jail time.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
yea not that bad priced either but im sure i woul be caught after a few days since schools can search your stuff (which is also lame)

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Its illegal to jam a cell signal with electronic means, however, you can install a farady(sic) cage around the room so there is no reception in there. Many movie theaters have already started doing this. A faraday cage is simply a metal screen that is built into the walls and blocks em signals. Regular hardwired phones will still work inside it as will any electronic device, however, you will not get any electromagnetic waves from outside. That means no cell-phone, radio, or tv. I think this is a great idea and should be implemented in all new schools.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by Tiloke]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This is a crazy idea, i agree cell phones can get annoying at times, but what if there's an emergency and you need to get a hold of a family member or vice versa.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
If it is an emergency, then step outside and make your call. No need to bother everyone else in the theatre with your call. The same goes for school etc.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
the family or emergency is old, just use a wired phone?

the reason this came to mind is because i was reading my schools paper were a girl was asked what she thinks of the phones being taken and she replied: "its a violation of our freedoms" I thought this was outrageous, because SHE IS BREAKING SCHOOL RULES, ITS NOT A RIGHT TO HAVE CELL PHONES IN CLASS

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It's still a bad idea in my opinion, there are a lot of weird kids nowadays, you don't know if there's some sick person out there wanting to do the next columbine.

And what if a family member is having car problems or gets into an accident and so on?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yes, cell phones make it convient for todays society. I know, as I lost mine for a few days and was fully lost without it, however there is a time and a place for everything. And school should not be a place for students to use a cell phone. Driving is another, the next time you go down a highway, just watch the other drivers, especially those who are driving an 18 wheeler. I have seen way too many times where a good 40% of the drivers were on a cell phone and are not driving with the road conditions.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
its not the calls that are bad, its the texting... so i have yet to see someone using them for a emergency, this it would be smarter to talk during emergency

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Well my school has rules about them, though it depends on the teacher,
on what action is taken, some teachers just tell them to turn them off
and put them away, and a few teachers work on a two warning system,
where they confiscate the phone on the second warning.

Personally I don't have a problem with them texting in class, and if they
have to talk, they should be allowed to go outside/in the hall.

Personally I don't see what the big deal about cell phones is in school.

And even in Cinemas, I understand the not talking part, but I don't see
the problem with texting in Cineams, as long as you are'nt one of those
people who giggles or laughs alot.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
it annoying when idiots waste time in class because the teacher has to stop

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
whether its a actuall jammer or some sort of special paint, cell phones are out of hand at school (or atleast mine so i assume its every where) everyone is always texting during class, which causes teachers to warn them or give a "empty" threat which wastes my class time....

the school is supposed to take them but none of the teachers do they just warn...

schools in india use jammers why not usa?

because we have freedom of choice to use our cell phone when and where we need it. its a matter of respect, two ways.

there should not be punishments on the group over a single persons misuse of conduct. maybe schools should be focused more on expressing freedom of choice and not taking it away.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Okay, you say no cell phones in school, or they get jammed. Now if theres some lunatic who walks into my school (im a senior) I dont have a wired phone on hand to walk to and call 911. You can sit there and say oh well cell phones are bad and you wont need them, but theres always that one time. Its like having a gun for self defense, you can go hunting and target shooting and its oh not that cool, but then someone breaks into your house and threatens your kids or family, youll be damned glad you have that gun..

besides what high school student doesnt like a teacher stopping class lol.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
thats the problem, people DONT NOT NEED THEM

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
this is no different then trying to take alcohol, guns, drugs and so on from people. It's a band-aid. These people need to make the right descion. First off, those who choose to disrupt your class will do so with another means, writing notes, chatting or asking to go to the bathroom every period. The core issue has to be addressed. If its the schools policy and a teacher is not addressing it properly, go above them. Don't sit back and let your education suffer because of the few.

Secondly I agree with truttseeker with the 911 comment. it is said but cellphones are a modern day lifeline. But only because we have allowed it to be that way. how many people know their childs school phone number. You may have it but maybe not as accessible as the cellphone number.

Lastly, I have a issue with jammers and theaters that are finding their own means to disrupt the signal. The emergency issue could come back to haunt them if their patrons are not notified of this alternative to a jammer.

The fact is soley that this a simple matter of respect. Its too bad there are so many willing to be rude to those around them.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
usually texting is between two different classes, and i think notes have kinda disappeared over time as the teachers seem to be more leniant towards talking amongst your neighbors....

as jamming will block signal outside of class, i like the paint or mesh idea... like on mythbusters and if there is a emergency all you gots to do is walk outside

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Cell phones are a vital tool, there's no need to dispense with them or prevent them from working just because some people are using them improperly.

Jamming cell phones in schools, cars, movie houses, or anywhere else is a bad idea, and while it's sure to save some folks a minor annoyance, it could cause major problems for others - you know, the people who are responsible and polite enough to know when to use them and when not to use them.

Why punish the innocent? If someone is being a pest in the theater, the operators have the right to throw them out, and they should do just that. If a student is not paying attention in class because of their mobile phone, send them to the principal's office and notify the parents of their behavior. If it's a constant, recurring problem and the parents can't or won't do anything about it, suspend or expel the student, since it's clear they have no desire to learn.

I don't like the idea of public schools acting as babysitting services. If students are consistently violent, disruptive, or passionately opposed to erudition, let them waste someone else's time and money. No reason why whole classes should have to suffer because of one or two malcontents.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This happens everywhere but the school part has raised another comment.

This is a place of education. If our teachers can't aid in teaching restraint from these "minor annoyances," what message is being sent to the students?

Lastly you can't just step outside if there is a emergency you don't know about. If the room is jammed, screened, meshed or painted you can't receive that call.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
In my area they already do jam cell phones in the newer High Schools. Doesn't affect all carriers, but most. as soon as you go through the doors the phones work.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join