It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny Transmitters in Canadian Coins?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
evil gubermint agents slips " tracking coin " into targets wallet :

the following conversation ensues

mobile 2 : " package delivered ..........target has the coin "

control one : " confirmed .... we have a signal ......... target is on the move .... heading east "

mobile 1 : " roger ........... have visual ............. target entering bank "

control one : " target is stationary ...... hold position "

< 9 hours pass >

control one : " still no movement ............. does any one have visual ?"

mobile 3 : " it is 2AM, do you think he is still in there ? "

DOH

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Here's the question...why would they want to spy on contractors? According to the article, the tracking equipment would have to be nearby, so it's not like the KGB could watch U.S. contractors movements from the comfort of their own Russian chairs.

I have one theory: They're tracked upon entering Iraq. Russians and/or Chinese can watch where the contractors go throughout Baghdad and then send that intel to the insurgents.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I think it's quite funny and appropo. Our government spies on us in every concievable way. 1 phone 2 e-mail 3 mail 4 cell phone 5 street cameras 6 passive michs now. It is the reason behind a national ID. We are a police state, it's just entering the last stages. But with all the available technology why can't anyone surveil anyone else. It could be quite the cottage industry and I would like to know what Bush and Cheney are saying in private about us. Yeah let's spy on them

Remember when people put John Poindexter's house on google video and gave out his private phone. Would't it be the ultimate qiud pro quo?

[edit on 11-1-2007 by polanksi]

[edit on 11-1-2007 by polanksi]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I posted this in one of the other 3 threads on this topic:

No doubt this has been going on for many years, and surely in the US as well.

But probably the last place I would think this tracking device was made in would be Canada. This is the red herring. You wouldn't make a tracking device into a coin in your own countries money. You would have to ask yourself, "who would want to track these contractors and for what purpose?" Its obvious that some government is funding this project due to the height of technology required, not to mention the counterfeiting involved, this is no amateur project.

It would seem that the terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan would not have the means or technology to achieve this, but it would also seem that these same terrorists knowing the movements of these contractors and whereabouts at all times would recieve the most benefit from this knowledge. So what government would want to help these insurgents in Iraq or Afghanistan?

My money is on Iran or possibly Syria, but lets hope its not China or Russia.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by super70
My money is on Iran or possibly Syria, but lets hope its not China or Russia.

You and I are on the same wavelength. While Syria may have explicit knowledge of the operation, if anything the country may be nothing more than a conduit for intel between the sponsoring state and the insurgents.

I think we need to again look to China and Russia, with my money on the latter. Russia wants nothing more than for the U.S. to fail in Iraq, and then it can sweep in and make economically viable treaties with Iran and Syria to control Iraqi oil, in essence, controlling the world energy market.

Continuing to attack contractors will further wedge U.S. voter support for Iraq war....

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It's not your KBR sort of contractors that are being tagged, like the truck drivers in Iraq. These guys are doing TS, possibly SCI work.

You can tell because DSS and CSIS are involved. You only get that for a possibly blown strategic secret, and generally you'll only get DSS going for a blown military project; diplomatic exposure is handled by a different agency. So these guys were technical contractors with at least TS, probably TS/SCI, and they're in Canada working on some joint military development.

We kicked it around here last night, and our suggestion is: arrest the vending machine company employees and interrogate them.

Here's the trick:

If you're maintaining the vending machines, you can rig the coin acceptors to take your boogered coins without complaint.

You can also fill up the change machines with freshly boogered coins ready to deploy.

You let the guys at the installation get change and walk back into the areas you can't get into. Some of the coins will go right back into the machines and will be blank. Some of the coins will migrate through the facility.

They use the change later to get more snacks. These coins have conversations on them. They go into your vending machines for you to collect later.

You collect the coins that night and process them. They don't have to transmit, except to a nearby interrogator, so you don't need much of a battery or range. Recharge them and put them back into the change machines.

A lot of them will walk off, but you will turn over a lot of them. These contractors are trapped in there for long work hours, it's a pain to go off base to eat and the on-base food is nasty if you're not eating in the officers' mess, so you generally skip lunch and eat vending machine crap. You generally don't know the base guys anyway and they try to isolate you so you'll get the job done faster. You eat a lot of Nekots and drink a lot of coffee.

And the vending machine people aren't in secure areas, and can come and go, in general, as they feel like, and no one pays them any attention.

Go get the vending machine guys and pump them for info.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Now I have to wonder, exactly who the tracking devices were for? Were they for the US contractors, or the people of Canada? Were these just test coins to see how well they could track their own people, or who the coins exchanged hands with?

Also, if Canada is able to do this, what about the US government? Are they using this type of spy technology on their enemies or even us? How spread is this spy technology? What else are these spy chips in?

Some of you brought up another question. Right now US and Canada relations are pretty good, and most of the US I believe think fairly well of Canada. We wouldn't really have a reason to suspect Canada of anything let along threatening the US.

Are we so sure that the coins were not planted to start to get the American people to start to look at Canada suspeciously and as a possible threat in the future? I know spy coins by them selves wouldn't do it, but if there were more news of something else down the line about Canada spying, then there might be a cause for concern.

I don't trust the government, and those who say they don't know who or why those coins were there. I believe they know exactly who and why. It seems funny that the story is just coming out now.

Here is another source if anyone is interested. I really like how my local news source places the story under water cooler talk instead of the regular news. That is like placing the article on the back pages of a thick newspaper, and saying it isn't really important at all.

kdka.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Canada has nothing to do with the creation of the coins. CSIS is involved in the investigation. Why would they investigate themselves and publish the news.

Not very secret....

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The Defense Security Service has posted a retraction on their website regarding the 'spy coins'.

Defense Security Service Report Statement on Canadian Coins Incorrect, 01/12/2007

A statement in the 2006 Defense Security Service Technology Collection Trends in the U.S. Defense Industry report which claimed radio frequency transmitters were discovered embedded in Canadian coins is not true, according to DSS officials.

This statement was based on a report provided to DSS. The allegations, however, were found later to be unsubstantiated following an investigation into the matter.

www.dss.mil...

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
So nothing happened at all?

Tis weird.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Sweet! It sounds like a market to me.

Who wants to buy some O'Bedlam Recorder Coins? Looks just like a toonie...

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
More likely with paper then coin. Look it in a practical level.

1. Coins can move hands a lot. It's easy to spend and not a good tracking medium.

2. Coins generally are keep with other coins made from different metals some magnetic some not wish would interfere with RF.

3. The power level and size of the RF transmitter would be so small and have such a low power source that the broadcast range would be royally crappy.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
The Defense Security Service has posted a retraction on their website regarding the 'spy coins'.

It took them a while to 'release' the information to the general public.

WASHINGTON — Reversing itself, the Defense Department says an espionage report it produced that warned about Canadian coins with tiny radio-frequency transmitters was not true.

Washington Post 19/01/07

I wonder why it took them so long. Also, If there were no transmitters in the first place, how did this whole fiasco actually get started.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The retraction was posted on a Friday, which is the day governments usually release any embarrassing or bad news. The idea is that everyone has gone home by the time the news is released and that way it doesn't get noticed by the media. The only paper up here that picked it up right away was the Toronto Star, which is where I heard about the retraction.

Maybe some toonies broke, which does happen every now and then, and they thought it was a transmitter.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by Duzey]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

If there were no transmitters in the first place, how did this whole fiasco actually get started.

An explanation of how this came about was published yesterday.

Best if you read it for yourself methinks.

This story somehow reminds me of a song
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am stuck in the middle with you.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by sp00n1
US currency and Euro's have RFID!
_snip_

If it was just coins, maybe they'd sit in your jar for 4 years, but how about a $20 bill?

Please check out these pics sp00n supplied.
masqua m8 , i'm european and have looked at all bills in my wallet 1:5euro 4:10euro 5:20euro and 1:50 i have put them all in a bright light and looked at them in my scanner at highres . and trust me when i tell u in mine nothing is there . Come on u can clearly see those marks are sigaretholes or something

[edit on 8-5-2007 by Spartannic]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sp00n1
US currency and Euro's have RFID!

You can stick a Euro in the microwave the the RFID will pop!

Did you try sticking them in a microwave as sp00n suggested?

Honestly, I'm not sold on this either, but it's an interesting way to 'track' cash and I believe the technology is already available.

Edit to add;

About those coins...

[edit on 8/5/07 by masqua]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
i wont put them in there since i'm pretty sure the inkt they use will have some strange reaction making my hard earned cash useless. Maybe even my microwave oven . So sorry i wont

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I don't blame you. I'm not Bill Gates either.

I noticed a thread somewhere about contemporary RFID technology which, if I remember correctly, would allow them to be embedded within the paper.

I'll try to find it.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
As a matter of fact, I couldn't find a thread talking about this, but did find something googling here...

We develop the physical objects centric information system by using micro RFID which can be watermarked into paper. Tracking of any kind of commodities, from their manufacturing to the scrapping, makes it easy to control their quality, security and cost.

*bolding mine

This gives much credence to what sp00n is talking about, doesn't it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join