It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six stories you may have missed in 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   

The Green 50
Profiles of a fairly arbitrary collection of fifty sustainability innovators.

Intelligent sensors watch for impending floods

HEALTHmap
A "global disease alert mapping system."

Scientists reveal link between Sahara and Amazon

Green Ribbon Commission Report PDF
Blowing Smoke: Mayor Nickels's Climate Action Agenda Is All Talk.
An important document describing how Seattle might begin to move seriously towards first Kyoto compliance and then climate neutrality, and a searing expose about how the same allegedly heroic Seattle mayor who commissioned the report is largely ignoring its implications because they are politically inconvenient, especially as regards a proposed waterfront freeway.

View from the future

Please check out all the links. The subject, people, trends and innovations are shaping the fragile earth of tomorrow.

I got all the links from this article: Ten Stories You May Have Missed.

Check it out. There are some great articles that weren't appropriate for this topic.

[edit on 5-1-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
After reading the story on the link between the Sahara and Amazon I remembered a story I had heard many years ago. The story was that before the break up of the continents, the Amazon and the Sahara was one gigantic area of forrest. After the split, the forrest area in the Sahara region became unstable and was no longer able to maintain its lush growth.

I don't know if that is a myth or scientific fact, but it would explain the link.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I don't know. Sounds like a myth because It's my understanding that the Rainforest's are in a stead march/retreat/disappear "pattern" which is primarily governed by the amount of precipitation they get and the leeching caused by nearby rivers.

This thread here tells the story of some Columbian Intellectuals who actually reversed a desertification leeching process that has been going on four tens of thousands of years.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Thanks sardion. Great links.

I don't have much else to say, except posting is the only way I can get threads onto my favorites pop-up list.

Need to go back and read more later.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Why don't you press
this button

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Why don't you press
this button

I told you!

It doesn't show on "myATS favorites" if I don't post. ...It goes somewhere else that I seldom click on.

top topics

join