It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Materazzi reveals details of Zidane exchange

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The truth (?) is finally out! What was it that made Zidane lose his cool? Just a comment about his sister. On one hand, it's understandable, I defend my sister against comment sfrom others when she doesn't deserve it. But, I'm not representing my country in the biggest sporting event in the world, with the fate of my team resting on my shoulders. The head butt I give won't make headline news. If that's all it took to get into this guys head, they deserved to lose.

Yahoo! Sports Story link

Italy defender Marco Materazzi has revealed the content of the verbal exchange he had with Zinedine Zidane which led to the headbutt from the Frenchman and his sending off in July's World Cup final.

"We both spoke and I wasn't the first. I held his shirt but don't you think it is a provocation to say that 'if you want my shirt I will give it you afterwards'?

"I replied to Zidane that I would prefer his sister, that is true. I brought up his sister and that wasn't a nice thing, that is true," said Materazzi.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Kind of sad isn't it?

I think it should of taken alittle more than that to justify the reaction. Could very well go down as the biggest blunders of all time, it deffinately contributed to their demise. Did it cost them the World Cup, that is left to be interpretated.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
So the guy sez he'd prefer Zidane's sister to a sweaty smelly soccer jersey? And that set him off?
Is this an example of "damning with faint praise"?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I give Materazzi credit for winning the mental game. If you can do anything to fluster your opponent and make him lose his cool, then do it. Get into your opponent's head and force him to lose it. I don't think it's dirty at all.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I wouldn't call it dirty either. I just can't beleive that a player at that level would let mind tricks work on him. Unbelievable.

top topics

join