It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Hit With UN Sanctions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The UN Security Councuil voted unanimously to place sanctions on Iran. The sanctions are a direct result of Iran's failure to comply with the UN's demand that Iran halt uranium enrichment. The restrictive measures emplaced by the sanction regime include a ban on selling Iran nuclear technology and/or materials and freezes the assets of key Iranian companis and individual persons.

news.bbc.co.uk
The United Nations Security Council has unanimously voted to impose sanctions against Iran over its failure to halt uranium enrichment.

The sanctions ban the supply of nuclear-related technology and materials and impose an asset freeze on key individuals and companies.

The US representative warned that Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons would make it less, not more, secure.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well I'll be damned the we were all finally able to get together and achieve a measure of unity at the UN. I have to give credit to the EU-3 for their leadership on this issue as well as Russian and China for putting aside short term economic worries in favor of long term global stability.

God Bless the European Union

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Iran is calling the sanctions illegal.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
will Iran interpret these sanctions as an "act of war" as North Korea's interpretation of sanction?

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
All this will do is force Iran to leave the NPT and begin enrichment underground and in secret. Just as Israel has ignored so many resolutions and warnings, so will Iran. To reward India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea for illegal nuke aquirement, while Iran was allowing IAEA monitoring is a bad show of true justice.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
To reward India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea for illegal nuke aquirement, while Iran was allowing IAEA monitoring is a bad show of true justice.

Well, they weren't really co-operating. From the source that I posted:

He did not elaborate on the contents of the bill and how it was meant to alter Iran's relationship with the IAEA. Parliament has already banned IAEA snap inspections in February in response to its nuclear case referral to the U.N. Security Council.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, they weren't really co-operating. From the source that I posted:

He did not elaborate on the contents of the bill and how it was meant to alter Iran's relationship with the IAEA. Parliament has already banned IAEA snap inspections in February in response to its nuclear case referral to the U.N. Security Council.

Ok thats from February around the time USA/Israel began going after Iran and making threats of attack or UN Sanctions. So I guess previous to that counts for nothing? I guess it will be better now with no one knowing what they will be doing. Well we will know when they are done and by that time its too late to do anything.

Even Hans Blix himself has made statements critical of the NPT regarding the big 5 breaking treaty and why its unfair to Iran.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Well, as someone posted in an earlier thread, "Iran has done it now." I wonder if this final push for sanctions was a response to Iran announcing that it would drop the dollar?

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I doubt this UNSC resolution is worth the paper its written on. I don't think Russia and China will enforce it (even though they voted for it), and probably France too. Germany under Merkel probably will try to abide by it, but they allowed a lot of the sanctions against Iraq to be broken under Schroeder, so who knows? Let alone North Korea, Venezuela and other bad guys.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Ok thats from February around the time USA/Israel began going after Iran and making threats of attack or UN Sanctions. So I guess previous to that counts for nothing?

No, past co-operation does count.

The thing that bothers me about all this is the fact that Iran and the US weren't always enemies. We actually got along pretty well in the past.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
No, past co-operation does count.

The thing that bothers me about all this is the fact that Iran and the US weren't always enemies. We actually got along pretty well in the past.

well kinda-sorta. We played a USA-Iran soccer game back in 2000 to kick off a resparking of ties again, we were supposed to re-open our embassy or consulate in tehran and then all of a sudden 9-11 happened and things went sour from there.

Our meddling in their politics didn't help much in the past. Then of course came the Hostage situation a while ago. It was rocky.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Sanctions on Iran, enforced by the UN, pushed through by the USA will have as much grunt behind them as my grant aunt bethel's left hook.

The UN gets blasted on a daily basis from all levels of ignorance from people in our society,

yet they still look to them to enforce sanctions.

''they're curropt, there useless, they are toothless, they couldnt stop the IRAQ war''

'' Sanctions on Iran, about time, ENFORCE THEM ''

Iran will get the bomb, if it so desires with or without the sanctions.

Iran, and Northkorea both continue to present the curroption and illegial acts that the current US administartion has committed within Iraq.

you THOUGHT iraq was building WMD's so you invaded them, occupied them based on that assumption
Nkorea TESTS A nuclear device, you slap sanctions on them.

all in the mean time criticising the UN, and going AGAINST there will of further investigations on IRaq, you now look to them for sanctions on Iran.

Hopefully Iran willl build this bomb, and does detonate it, because the world, sorry.. AMERICA needs to realise it has lost all respect and world standing when it commited war crimes, no different from Nazi Germany.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Yeah Agit8dChop that makes alot of sense. The US nerfs up Iraq but why stop there? Lets use the stupidity of the current US administration to legitimize the neutering of the NPT and allow regimes like the one in Iran(you know the guy who denies the holocaust in the same breath as stating that Israel should be wiped off the map)to possess nuclear weapons. Yeah I'm sure that will solve alot of problems. And I'm sure it will be Americans that will suffer the consequences of such actions should it not come off the way you think(or even if it does)they would.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Imposing Sanctions In Iran is as impossible as trying to tell China and Russia to stop doing business with Iran.

Guess what US has not business deals with Iran but China and Russia are the biggest business partners and Russia has been supplying nuclear weapon help to Iran for 20 years.

I have to laugh at this stupid attempt to stop Iran, because in order to have success it will have to make China and Russia to stop.

Guess what? they do not take orders neither from the US and neither from UN.

But we all know that is not about China and Russia . . . is all about Iran . .

[edit on 24-12-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I have no doubt that all UN member states will cease exporting nuclear technology and fuel to Iran. Thats all sanctions are, is a call to cease business with the country in question, based on the subject at hand. UN member states will no longer be able to sell, and Iran will no longer be able to buy any nuclear technology and/or fuel. However!!! Iran already has everything it needs to do whatever it feels. It has the nuclear fuel at home, the manufacturing base to produce the technology, and the information is freely available to civilians and researchers alike. That is how India got to where it is. They have the materials, and the information is available freely.

So basically, these sanctions have no effect on Iran except to stop foreign business deals regarding nuclear technology. They already have everything they need available to them at home.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Iran declares its intention to move forward with its "nuclear aims" despite the UN sanctions.

news.yahoo.com...

www.khaleejtimes.com.../middleeast/2006/December/middleeast_December405.xml§ion=middleeast

Ahmadinejad also downplayed the resolution, saying it would be the Security Council that regretted it, not Iran.

"This will not damage the nation of Iran, but its issuers will soon regret this superficial and nil act,"

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I smell war, I smell a big war... A vast and terrible war. I hope it doesn't come abroad.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hi I'm from The United States. I think the United States is terrible at making decisions right now because the administration is surviving on its last limb, the only person who I respect in the current administration is condoliza rice. We did allow a US-Iran soccer game but 9-11 happen and I agree with one of the above posters, things definately went downhill from after that.

Now without a doubt there most likely will be a war, but will it be a land war? All Iran could do is attack us from the gulf in Iraq and attack our "interests there".

Who will be the real profiteers of the war? Probably halliburton, and other various banking companies will profit from the war.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   

This will not damage the nation of Iran, but its issuers will soon regret this superficial and nil act.

Exactly what does Ahmadinejad mean by this statement?

Perhaps I'm naiive, but it still amazes me that barbaric administrations such as that still ruling over Iran still exist in the 21st century. These are the Persians for crying out loud, an intelligent race with a proud history of innovation and cultural development, and yet here they are, looking just like the next Nazi Germany. Persecuting Jews and publicly stating their desire to wipe Israel off the face of the planet, developing a nuclear program against the wishes of the entire world, funding terrorism, and issuing threats against anyone and everyone.

If they do develop nukes, and they (or their terrorist representatives) detonate one in Israel or the US, the nation of Iran will cease to exist - the truly horrifying part, is that I don't think they care.

A documentary which aired recently in the US showed 5 year old Iranian kids going to their first day of school. Before being allowed in, each one was required to chant "Death to America !" - these people are fundamentally diseased and very, very dangerous.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter

Now without a doubt there most likely will be a war, but will it be a land war? All Iran could do is attack us from the gulf in Iraq and attack our "interests there".

This is one of the most important reasons why we don't need to be strutting our stuff around, we are too vulnerable to attack.

quote]Originally posted by Maverickhunter

Who will be the real profiteers of the war? Probably halliburton, and other various banking companies will profit from the war.

This is half of the reason why we continue to make war with nations. The other half is securing oil.

Originally posted by Retseh
Perhaps I'm naiive, but it still amazes me that barbaric administrations such as that still ruling over Iran still exist in the 21st century.

Try this one on-the US is just as barbaricm-naybe even moreso-as you think Iran is. However, my opinion is that these countries are growing sick of the way that the US handles foreign relations and rather than these barbaric countries acting crazy for no apparent reason, they are really responding to to Western aggression and presence in the middle east.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well they are either going to go for it or not...that is pretty much obvious by now. And, this is just another football the team Bush with Condi Rice as their fumbling quarterback has dropped. Can you say dialogue? Can you say engagement without non negotiable demands being front and center? Can you say lets talk as equals? Supporter of terrorists or not, it simply does not make sense to to deal with Iran (or North Korea) in the way we have been doing it. As soon as you say lets talk but these demands are no negotiable then like it or not you have just given them an easy out. Its not brain surgery. Its basic playground psychology and the pinheads in charge of American foriegn policy just don't get it. Then again they have never wanted to deal with Iran in the first place....the hard right has had a war-on for Iran ever since the hostage crisis going on 30 years ago and it is time to grow up and get over it. When blustering and threatening doesn't work....try a novel approach...actual diplomacy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join