It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First human receives Ebola vaccine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 01:01 AM
link   

MSNBC
Steve Rucker, a registered nurse at the National Institutes of Health, broke with his lunchtime routine yesterday to roll up his sleeve for a shot filled with the biological essence of Ebola � one of the world�s deadliest and goriest diseases.

Surrounded by a gaggle of doctors and scientists, Rucker stepped into medical history at 12:10 p.m., becoming the first person ever injected with an experimental vaccine designed to protect against Ebola, the disease that was highlighted in the real-life thriller �The Hot Zone� and which continues to take a bloody toll in Africa.

Rucker is a pioneer in a high-tech effort to beat Ebola. If the vaccine works in people as it has in monkeys, it could fell one of the world�s most horrid infectious scourges.

www.msnbc.com...

This could be a huge breakthrough against a deadly disease. This guy must be pretty brave for him to let them inject him with the vaccine, Ebola is notoriously lethal, rapidly killing 50 to 90% of its victims.

They are having a very hard time finding volunteers, any takers?

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Very brave, I'd say. I'm not surprised they are having trouble finding volunteers. The word Ebola tends to scare the cr*p out of people

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It'd be interesting to see what side effects, if any occur in those who are vaccinated.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   
A brave guy indeed -

I remember the 1970s case at Porton Down when the guy got an accidental needle stick of what they then called "Green Monkey Disease"

Then reading more recently the Tom Clancy books - lastly Rainbow Six about terrorist uses of Ebola - scary reading - and a scary virus.

Hope this works out for them - given that I believe they still hav'nt identified a source for the virus.

(Ironic thought though - the Virus is identified by a Shepherds Crook - and doesnt that tie into some biblical references ?)

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

They are having a very time finding volunteers, any takers?

I'll have to pass on volunteering for that experiment !!!

However, it is wonderful to see how their research has produced a vaccine for such an awful disease!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It says they will be monitoring him for the next year, his immune response, etc. I wonder if they'll be comparing his tissue samples to those of ebola survivors looking for similarities.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   
he's brave all right. I sure wouldn't take an experimental vaccine. I hope it works.

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf
he's brave all right. I sure wouldn't take an experimental vaccine. I hope it works.

Ya, he is. I've just looked for a bit, and no new news on anyone else volunteering. it seems to be just the same two.

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Any updates...Is he doing ok...Have we gained any new knowledge from him?

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
Any updates...Is he doing ok...Have we gained any new knowledge from him?

I've been looking, but nothing as of yet.

DoD

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
He could be totaly F**ked if it doesn't work i have to say he is one very brave guy

DoD

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
It says they will be monitoring him for the next year, his immune response, etc. I wonder if they'll be comparing his tissue samples to those of ebola survivors looking for similarities.

survivors?

i thought this virus had no cure and a 100% mortality rate

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Much respect to Mr. Steve Rucker, for assisting in the research and development of this new vaccine. His efforts are greatly appreciated by many, I'm sure.

Mr. M

new topics

top topics

join