It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Threatens Taiwan Anew With Force

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   
40 minutes ago...

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20031119/ap_on_re_as/china_taiwan

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If China were to attack, it would really be a blow in the world economy!

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   
If they attack I how the US gets involved. I am tired of the damn Chinese always think they are better. They are just sneaky little bastards.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Why am I having flashbacks to the first world war? Ah yes, because this is almost exactly how it started. Now, pardon my doomsaying. I have to construct some sort of shelter outside the dorm within which I can survive the impending destruction.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   
They feel close enough to Taiwan to bomb them huh. Geez the chinese government is made up of a bunch of absolute monsters who want complete control.

Didnt the government also say this to the Tibetans, before slaughtering a bunch of buddhists?

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Yes they did. Also I do not beleive that China is that powerful.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Lets shake things up a bit.....
Here is what USA today reported:
"China: Use of force may be 'unavoidable' against Taiwan"
Link:
www.usatoday.com...

Also posted today:
"US will not make Taiwan deal with China over Korea"
Link:
www.taipeitimes.com...

All this reminds me of SunTzu's "Art of War" on the chapter dealing with: Your enemy's pre-occupations is when the time to........

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   
China has some pretty nasty Anti-Ship Missles known as Sunburn Missles.

Reports say they are nuke equiped.

www.joevialls.co.uk...

Most of the article is about Russia having them,
and how they are going to use them against Isreal.
They sold 100 or so to china,
which has them pointed at Tiwan.
Apparently these missles can fly so low
and so fast, that they can't be detected till it's too late.

Text In August and September 2003, the Russian and Chinese navies held large independent exercises in the Pacific, both coincidentally designed to, �Simulate sinking aggressive American carrier battle groups�. No prizes for guessing the name of the principal weapon system selected for this challenging task. During September, the Chinese missile destroyer �Fuzhou� fired a Sunburn with a practice warhead, which high-speed cameras then recorded striking the center of the white cross on the hull of the target vessel, located more than 60 nautical miles away from the firing point. Terminal attack profile was Mach 2.05 at an altitude of 22 feet.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Does China have nukes?

Can China get nukes(Buy or Steal) in a short time notice?

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:59 PM
link   
They already have a few. I beleive about 20.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
They already have a few. I beleive about 20.

Hope they don't use against Taiwan.

What is range of those weapons?

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
China DEFINATLY has nukes!

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   

The US has assured Taiwan that it will not compromise Washington's commitments to Taiwan to gain China's support and cooperation in dealing with North Korea's nuclear threat, Taiwan's top man in Washington says

hahaha, you poor fool, you honestly think the American government is trustworthy? How many nations have been decieved and backstabbed by the U.S.?

One thing is for sure, America is going to do what is in their best interest!

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 11:09 PM
link   
There is info in the link I posted about the capabilities of some of their missles.

Here is more!

www.kimsoft.com...

An anonymous poster ([email protected]) sent an internal document of the Chinese Defense Ministry to the Hong Kong magazine The Trend (Dong Xiang). This document reveals that China at present has a total of 2,350 nuclear warheads. This number i s about 8 times larger than the 300 generally cited in the Western media. Among the 2,350 warheads are about 550 tactical nukes and 1,800 strategic nukes. The document also reveals that the annual production of warheads was about 110-120 i n the 1980's and about 140-150 at present.

www.dawn.com...

We tend to overlook China because it has opted to keep an arsenal of only about 20 single-warhead missiles that can reach the US and because it is not a party to the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty. China has the resources and the technical know-how to be a much larger nuclear power, perhaps deploying as many as 1,000 warheads on single- and multiple-warhead missiles. What China lacks today is the strategic motivation for a large nuclear buildup. Whether its motivation will change will depend on the nature of its strategic relationship with the US, which will be characterized by issues such as trade and Taiwan, not just missile defence

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Just found this:
"China Threatens Use of Force if Taiwan Pursues Independence"
Link:
www.washingtonpost.com...

Excerpt:
"BEIJING, Nov. 19 -- For the first time in years, China has openly threatened to attack Taiwan, issuing a stern warning to President Chen Shui-bian to curb recent moves that Beijing believes are intended to bring Taiwan closer to formal independence from China.

The statement, made by Maj. Gen. Wang Zaixi, the deputy director of the Taiwan Affairs Office, reflects a growing sense of frustration and alarm among Chinese officials. These officials perceive Chen as set on altering the fundamental framework of Taiwan's relations with China by formally rejecting "the one-China principle" -- the decades-old formulation upon which the two entities have based their relationship -- and by vowing to amend Taiwan's constitution.

"If the Taiwan authorities collude with all splittist forces to openly engage in pro-independence activities and challenge the mainland and the one-China principle, the use of force may become unavoidable," Wang told a conference on Nov. 13. His remarks were reported in state-run media Wednesday.

Wang's remarks are the strongest in a series of recent public and private statements by Chinese officials underscoring a decision to abandon the soft-spoken policy Beijing has employed since Chen became the first opposition candidate to win Taiwan's presidential election in March 2000. Chinese analysts said the last time Beijing made such a threatening statement came on the eve of that election when then-Premier Zhu Rongji warned of the disastrous consequences of pursuing independence....."

Whats interesting is the timing of all this by China.
US pre-occupied with Iraq/Afghanistan
US has said it will withdraw troops form DMZ/South Korea.
Taiwan has been testing some new military hardware in the US.

Looks like China is just 'itching' for a shot at Taiwan.......

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I was talking to a coworker today, one who feels fairly knowledgeable about current events, and he was trying to tell me they are no threat to Taiwan because they (China) has no navy. This is a guy who is pretty intelligent, and thinks China has a few wooden ships! I'm telling you, ignorance is hurting this nation more than anything.

A few years ago the ranking Chinese generals made it clear what they have in mind, and things seem to be pretty much on the timeline. If China is allowed to continue, there will be no stopping them in a couple of years.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I have heard the chinese still use some b17's from ww2..

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
A few short years ago, analysts laughed at anyone who would say China would be an industrial giant, like they are now!

They easily could have the manufacture mechanism in place to build whatever military armorment they could ever need.

And they have the manpower no doubt. And half of the world's corporations are right now, building in China, for expansion into their markets, including heavy industrial and automobile manufacturers.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   
OH yes China has near to no navy. They would have Taiwan now if there was any type of land connection between the two. Also do not be so confident that China could just launch a ton of missles over there and win. I have had friend who know high level military officials there who know Taiwanese defence. Look at there mountains they have uber defence built in. But Chinas biggest broblem in the lack of being able to transport troops to Taiwan. Because one we have a carrier group down there just in case. Also Taiwan has a sizable sea defence. Also this brink of war has been here for the past decade. China has always said that they would attack if Taiwan actually succeded and voted on a independent constitution and formation of an independent State.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yes smirly but the chinese government was somewhat ignorant over the past couple years. Yes they can build a navy pretty quick but it would at least take them 5 years to make something at least sizable and battle worthy and at least a decade to match our current pacific fleet. We must also watch our corporations over there. The Chinese have a tendency to "take over" some american companies and stealing there technology

top topics

<<   2 >>

join