It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Row, Row, Row Your Boat, which one is the best?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Well, the weapopnry forum needs some serious improvements; the hottest topic AK-47 vs. M-16 is slightly dull as both weapons are outdated and horribly inefficient, AK-47 is loud as hell, and the M-16 is too large for entry tactics, but too small for assualt and battery not to mention the fact it jams.

Therefore I shall scale it up one level for everyone here, what is the most tactically efficient ship currently in use in the world?

My vote falls to the UK for the Invincible Class Aircraft Carriers:

From www.naval-technology.com
COMMAND SYSTEMS

The combat data system is BAE SYSTEMS ADIMP with communication links Link 10, Link 11 and Link 14. Following refit, HMS Invincible has had the combat system upgraded to the same standard as Illustrious and Ark Royal, with new multi-function consoles and flat-panel colour displays. The secure satellite communications system, the Astrium (formerly Matra Marconi) SCOT, has the capacity to handle data rates up to 2Mb/s.

GUNS

HMS Ark Royal is armed with three Mark 15 Phalanx close-in weapon systems (CIWS) from Raytheon and General Dynamics. Each Phalanx CIWS has one 20mm M61A1 Vulcan Gatling-principle gun which fires 3,000 rounds/min at a range of 1.5km.

HMS Invincible and Illustrious each have three Thales Nederland (formerly Signaal) Goalkeeper CIWS. Goalkeeper's Gatling principle 30mm gun provides a maximum firing rate of 4,200 rounds/min with a range of 1,500m.

All three carriers are also equipped with two GAM-B01 20mm guns from Oerlikon-Contraves and BAE SYSTEMS, which have a maximum range of 2km and firing rate of 1,000 rounds/min.

AIRCRAFT

The ship supports nine Harrier aircraft (both the Royal Air Force GR7 Harrier II and the Royal Navy F/A2 Sea Harrier), nine Sea King HAS 6 antisubmarine warfare helicopters and three Sea King AEW 2 and AEW7 airborne early warning helicopters. Landing trials with the Merlin HM.1 helicopter have taken place on the Ark Royal, which is the first carrier to deploy the Merlin.

The runway is about 170m long with a ski ramp set at 12�. In the hangar deck the aircraft is tethered to the floor using securing chains with tension clamps. Strachan and Henshaw have been contracted to install a replacement aircraft carrier lift system.

PROPULSION

The ship is powered by COGAG (combined gas turbine and gas turbine), consisting of four Rolls Royce Olympus TM3B gas turbine engines generating 97,000hp, providing a speed of 28 knots. At the economical speed of 19 knots the range of the ship is 7000 miles.

A ramp at the end of the runway, who would've thought?

Who can compete?
- Tass

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
IMO -

Nothing can touch...

United States of America Aircraft Carrier !
The ultimate Ship !!

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tassadar
Well, the weapopnry forum needs some serious improvements; the hottest topic AK-47 vs. M-16 is slightly dull as both weapons are outdated and horribly inefficient, AK-47 is loud as hell, and the M-16 is too large for entry tactics, but too small for assualt and battery not to mention the fact it jams.

- Tass

I am an ANTIQUE lover thats why I started the thread.

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by Russian]

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Therefore I shall scale it up one level for everyone here, what is the most tactically efficient ship currently in use in the world?

My vote falls to the UK for the Invincible Class Aircraft Carriers:

From www.naval-technology.com
COMMAND SYSTEMS

The combat data system is BAE SYSTEMS ADIMP with communication links Link 10, Link 11 and Link 14. Following refit, HMS Invincible has had the combat system upgraded to the same standard as Illustrious and Ark Royal, with new multi-function consoles and flat-panel colour displays. The secure satellite communications system, the Astrium (formerly Matra Marconi) SCOT, has the capacity to handle data rates up to 2Mb/s.

GUNS

HMS Ark Royal is armed with three Mark 15 Phalanx close-in weapon systems (CIWS) from Raytheon and General Dynamics. Each Phalanx CIWS has one 20mm M61A1 Vulcan Gatling-principle gun which fires 3,000 rounds/min at a range of 1.5km.

HMS Invincible and Illustrious each have three Thales Nederland (formerly Signaal) Goalkeeper CIWS. Goalkeeper's Gatling principle 30mm gun provides a maximum firing rate of 4,200 rounds/min with a range of 1,500m.

All three carriers are also equipped with two GAM-B01 20mm guns from Oerlikon-Contraves and BAE SYSTEMS, which have a maximum range of 2km and firing rate of 1,000 rounds/min.

AIRCRAFT

The ship supports nine Harrier aircraft (both the Royal Air Force GR7 Harrier II and the Royal Navy F/A2 Sea Harrier), nine Sea King HAS 6 antisubmarine warfare helicopters and three Sea King AEW 2 and AEW7 airborne early warning helicopters. Landing trials with the Merlin HM.1 helicopter have taken place on the Ark Royal, which is the first carrier to deploy the Merlin.

The runway is about 170m long with a ski ramp set at 12�. In the hangar deck the aircraft is tethered to the floor using securing chains with tension clamps. Strachan and Henshaw have been contracted to install a replacement aircraft carrier lift system.

PROPULSION

The ship is powered by COGAG (combined gas turbine and gas turbine), consisting of four Rolls Royce Olympus TM3B gas turbine engines generating 97,000hp, providing a speed of 28 knots. At the economical speed of 19 knots the range of the ship is 7000 miles.

A ramp at the end of the runway, who would've thought?

Who can compete?
- Tass

I do not have any current favorites, but this looks "dinky" by aircraft carrier standards.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   

The Kuznetsov Class heavy aircraft carrying cruiser, also known as Project 1143.5 or Orel Class, was constructed at Nikolayev South Shipyard on the Black Sea in the Ukraine. The Admiral Kuznetsov, was launched in 1985. A second of class vessel, the Varyag, was launched in 1988 but was never commissioned. The hull design is based on the earlier Admiral Gorshkov, launched in 1982, but it is larger with a full load displacement, 58,500 tons as compared to 40,400 tons. Admiral Gorshkov has not been operational since 1988 and is being sold to India.

The Admiral Kuznetsov supports strategic missile carrying submarines, surface ships and maritime missile-carrying aircraft of the Russian fleet.

AIRCRAFT

The flight deck area is 14,700 square m and aircraft take-off is assisted by a bow ski- jump angled at 12 degrees. The flight deck is equipped with arrester wires. Two starboard lifts carry the aircraft from the hangar to the flight deck.

The ship has the capacity to support 16 Yakovlev Yak-41M (NATO code name Freestyle), 12 Sukhoi Su-27K (NATO codename Flanker) fixed wing aircraft and a range of helicopters including 4 Kamov Ka-27-LD (NATO codename Helix), 18 Kamov Ka-27 PLO, and 2 Ka-27-S.

MISSILES

The ship has a Granit anti-ship missile system equipped with 12 surface to surface missile launchers. The Granit missile (NATO codename SS-N-19 Shipwreck) is reported to have a range greater than 400 km and is capable of carrying either a nuclear or conventional warhead.

The Klinok air defence missile system, with 24 vertical launchers and 192 missiles, defends the ship against anti-ship missiles, aircraft and surface ships. The system has a multi-channel electronically steered phased array radar and can achieve a firing rate of 1 missile every 3 seconds. Four targets can be engaged simultaneously in a 60 x 60 degree sector. Range of the system is 12 to 15 km.

The Kashstan Air Defence Gun/Missile System, supplied by the Instrument Design Bureau and Tulamashzavod JSC in Tula, provides defence against precision weapons including anti-ship and anti-radar missiles, aircraft and small sea targets. Eight systems are fitted, combining missile launcher, 30 mm twin gun and radar/optronic director. The range of the laser beam-riding missiles is from 1.5 to 8 km. The gun can fire up to 1,000 rounds per minute in the range 0.5 to 1.5 km. Six AK630 AD 30 mm air defence guns are also fitted.

ANTI-SUBMARINE WARFARE

The ship is equipped with an Udav-1 anti-submarine system with 60 anti-submarine rockets. Udav-1, supplied by the Splav Research and Production Association in Moscow, protects surface ships by diverting and destroying incoming torpedoes. The system also provides defence against submarines and saboteur systems such as underwater vehicles. The system has 10 barrels and is capable of firing 111SG depth charge projectiles, 111SZ mine laying projectiles and 111SO diverting projectiles. The range of the system is up to 3,000 m and the submarine engagement depth is to 600 m.

SENSORS

The ship's radars include a D/E band air and surface target acquisition radar, an F-band surface search radar, G/H band flight control radar, I-band navigation radar, and four K-band fire control radars for the Kashstan Air Defence Gun/Missile System.

The ship's hull mounted search and attack sonar, operating in the medium and low frequency bands, is capable of detecting torpedoes and submarines. The anti-submarine warfare aircraft are equipped with surface search radar, dipping sonar, sonobuoys and magnetic anomaly detectors.

PROPULSION

The ship is conventionally powered and has eight boilers and four steam turbines each producing 50,000 horsepower, driving four shafts with fixed pitch propellers. The maximum speed is 29 knots, and the range at maximum speed is 3,800 miles. The ship provides a maximum range of 8,500 miles at a speed of 18 knots.

Sorry I am Russian.

So I love Russian products.(not all)

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I would have to say that the Iowa class battleship tops my list.

Displacement Light Displacement: 45231 tons
Full Displacement: 57271 tons
Dead Weight: 12040 tons
Length Overall Length: 888 ft
Waterline Length: 860 ft
Beam Extreme Beam: 109 ft
Waterline Beam: 108 ft
Draft Maximum Navigational Draft: 38 ft
Draft Limit: 37 ft
Max Speed 35 knots
Power Plant Eight boilers, four geared turbines, four shafts, 212,000 shaft horsepower
Armament 32 - Tomahawk ASM/LAM - 8 armored box launchers
16 - Harpoon ASM - 4 quad cell launchers
9 - Mk 7 - 16-inch / 50 caliber guns
12 - Mk 28 - 5-inch / 38 caliber guns
4 - Mk 15 - 20mm Phalanx CIWS
Combat Systems SPS-49 Air Search Radar
SPS-67 Surface Search Radar
4 Mk37 Gun Fire Control
2 Mk38 Gun Direction
1 Mk40 Gun Director
1 SPQ-9 [BB-61]
SLQ-25 NIXIE
SLQ-32 EW system

Aircraft None embarked
landing area and unhangared parking area
4 SH-3 or
4 SH-60
Compliment 1,515 ship's company
65 officers
1,450 enlisted
58 Marines
Builders New York Navy Yard -- BB 61, 63
Philadelphia Navy Yard -- BB 62, 64

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

The Kuznetsov Class heavy aircraft carrying cruiser, also known as Project 1143.5 or Orel Class, was constructed at Nikolayev South Shipyard on the Black Sea in the Ukraine. The Admiral Kuznetsov, was launched in 1985. A second of class vessel, the Varyag, was launched in 1988 but was never commissioned. The hull design is based on the earlier Admiral Gorshkov, launched in 1982, but it is larger with a full load displacement, 58,500 tons as compared to 40,400 tons. Admiral Gorshkov has not been operational since 1988 and is being sold to India.

The Admiral Kuznetsov supports strategic missile carrying submarines, surface ships and maritime missile-carrying aircraft of the Russian fleet.

AIRCRAFT

The flight deck area is 14,700 square m and aircraft take-off is assisted by a bow ski- jump angled at 12 degrees. The flight deck is equipped with arrester wires. Two starboard lifts carry the aircraft from the hangar to the flight deck.

The ship has the capacity to support 16 Yakovlev Yak-41M (NATO code name Freestyle), 12 Sukhoi Su-27K (NATO codename Flanker) fixed wing aircraft and a range of helicopters including 4 Kamov Ka-27-LD (NATO codename Helix), 18 Kamov Ka-27 PLO, and 2 Ka-27-S.

MISSILES

The ship has a Granit anti-ship missile system equipped with 12 surface to surface missile launchers. The Granit missile (NATO codename SS-N-19 Shipwreck) is reported to have a range greater than 400 km and is capable of carrying either a nuclear or conventional warhead.

The Klinok air defence missile system, with 24 vertical launchers and 192 missiles, defends the ship against anti-ship missiles, aircraft and surface ships. The system has a multi-channel electronically steered phased array radar and can achieve a firing rate of 1 missile every 3 seconds. Four targets can be engaged simultaneously in a 60 x 60 degree sector. Range of the system is 12 to 15 km.

The Kashstan Air Defence Gun/Missile System, supplied by the Instrument Design Bureau and Tulamashzavod JSC in Tula, provides defence against precision weapons including anti-ship and anti-radar missiles, aircraft and small sea targets. Eight systems are fitted, combining missile launcher, 30 mm twin gun and radar/optronic director. The range of the laser beam-riding missiles is from 1.5 to 8 km. The gun can fire up to 1,000 rounds per minute in the range 0.5 to 1.5 km. Six AK630 AD 30 mm air defence guns are also fitted.

ANTI-SUBMARINE WARFARE

The ship is equipped with an Udav-1 anti-submarine system with 60 anti-submarine rockets. Udav-1, supplied by the Splav Research and Production Association in Moscow, protects surface ships by diverting and destroying incoming torpedoes. The system also provides defence against submarines and saboteur systems such as underwater vehicles. The system has 10 barrels and is capable of firing 111SG depth charge projectiles, 111SZ mine laying projectiles and 111SO diverting projectiles. The range of the system is up to 3,000 m and the submarine engagement depth is to 600 m.

SENSORS

The ship's radars include a D/E band air and surface target acquisition radar, an F-band surface search radar, G/H band flight control radar, I-band navigation radar, and four K-band fire control radars for the Kashstan Air Defence Gun/Missile System.

The ship's hull mounted search and attack sonar, operating in the medium and low frequency bands, is capable of detecting torpedoes and submarines. The anti-submarine warfare aircraft are equipped with surface search radar, dipping sonar, sonobuoys and magnetic anomaly detectors.

PROPULSION

The ship is conventionally powered and has eight boilers and four steam turbines each producing 50,000 horsepower, driving four shafts with fixed pitch propellers. The maximum speed is 29 knots, and the range at maximum speed is 3,800 miles. The ship provides a maximum range of 8,500 miles at a speed of 18 knots.

Sorry I am Russian.

So I love Russian products.(not all)

They really needed launchers like the United States carriers.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:27 PM
link   
ARLEIGH BURKE-class, Flight IIA/Block II

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
ARLEIGH BURKE-class, Flight IIA/Block II

regards
seekerof

Com on people pics are NOTHIN. POST THE SPECS!

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Deigned by Phillipe Briand of France for Alubat boatbuilders. The Ovni 435 at 43 feet in length is the premier choice of ocean going sailors. It's lifting centerboard is one of two found in the full sized yachting world. This capability allows it to "beach" itself. The vessel only draws 0.74 meters with the centerboard up allowing easy passage over coral reefs.

The boats are built from 5083 H 111 aluminium and welded in an Argon/Helium atmosphere. All external woodwork in best Burmese teak quality. It can even withstand impact with ice.

The boat is powered by a 50hp Volvo diesel and as you can see is a MACHINE. You can kit these babies out with a desalinzer water maker and satellite communications. Basically you can live on this thing forever. It's not your grandad's pretty antique schooner, this boat is built for one thing and that is oceanic voyage and exploration.

[Edited on 11-19-2003 by insite]

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Russian, your Kuznetsov Class heavy aircraft carrying cruiser is one hot carrier!

errrr, jet, does anybody still use Battleships anymore? I believe a harpoon missle from a destroyer or frigate could take it out from at least a hundred miles away...

insite, that's a nice ship, small, swift, agile... certainly more difficult to find then an aircraft carrier.

- Tass

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Here's a link Russian:

"DDG-51 ARLEIGH BURKE-class"
Link:
www.fas.org...

Hope that helps.

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
My vote is for the DD-963 Spruance class destroyers. They may be old compared to the Arleigh Burke class, but they still get the job done.

Info

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   
CVN-76 USS Ronald Reagan has my vote

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Russian, your Kuznetsov Class heavy aircraft carrying cruiser is one hot carrier!

errrr, jet, does anybody still use Battleships anymore? I believe a harpoon missle from a destroyer or frigate could take it out from at least a hundred miles away...

insite, that's a nice ship, small, swift, agile... certainly more difficult to find then an aircraft carrier.

- Tass

I was just saying that they were one of my favorite ships. They are not much use today but they are cool.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I admit Invicibles are small but their running costs are a lot less than a normal carrier. Their 9 harriers are enough to protect it and their battlegroup. They have a half decent Sea King early warning. Asw is okay. Anti-air it would have been nice to fit Sea Wolf but still it is value for money.(I have no idea why they decided to fit Phlanx instead of Goalkeeper on Ark Royal though). They are probabaly the only carrier involved in a "close" war. They were built cheap and can be effectively recycled. When the new carriers come the Royal Navy will chop off the Ski-Ramp and you have 3 more helicopter carriers taking the strain off HMS Ocean.

Cheap and Effective. Perfect

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Ill make this simple:

Aircraft Carriers are only as good as the planes they launch. Nobody has better planes than the US. Nuff said

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
HMS ocean ,
[img]http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/content/data/[(1554)-16-09-2003]ocean.jpg[/img]

Displacement: 20,700 tonnes
Length: 203.4m / 667.2ft
Beam: 35m / 114.8ft
Speed: 18 kts
Complement: 285 + 206 Aircrew
(Maximum 1275 - made up with Royal Marines)
Armament: 3 x Phalanx (CIWS)
2 x 20mm Close Range guns
Passive Decoys
Aircraft/Landing Craft: 12 x Sea King HC4 Medium Support Helicopters
6 x lynx AH7 or 6 x Gazelle Light Helicopter
or
15 x Sea Harriers (Ferry Role)
Sensors: Radar 996 (Combined Air/Surface)
Radar 1007 (Navigation and Helicopter Control)
UAT Electronic Support Measures
Propulsion: 2 x Diesel motors, 2 shafts

Largest ship in the RN right now.
Has 9 Assault Squadron Royal Marines always on board.

In my opinion best ship in the fleet.

but the type 23 is nice....

Type 23 Statistics
Displacement: 4,900 tonnes

Length: 133m / 436ft

Beam: 16.1m / 52.9ft

Complement: 185

Armament: 2 x Quad Harpoon Missile launchers
Vertical Launch Sea Wolf anti-missile system
4.5in (114mm) MK 8 gun
2 x 30mm Close range guns
2 x Magazine launched anti submarine torpedo tubes
NATO Seagnat and DLF3 Decoy Launchers
Sensors: Type 1007 navigation radar
Type 996 air/surface surveillance radar
2 x Type 911 Sea Wolf tracking radars
UAT Electronic Surveillance System
Type 2050 active sonar

Aircraft: MK 8 Lynx helicopters:

Armament:

Sea Skua anti-ship missiles

Stingray anti-submarine torpedoes

Mk 11 depth charges

Machine guns

Propulsion: Turbines:

CODLAG (Combined Diesel and Gas) - 2 x

Rolls Royce Spey gas boost

Diesels:

4 x GEC-Alsthom Paxman Valenta

Electric:

2 x GEC motors
Also is stealthy , due to angled hull.
Lovely ship

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Best five destroyers in the world.

1. Korean KDG-3
2. Japanese Kongo
3. American Ticonderoga
4. Russian Sovremenny
5. Chinese Type 52C

These are my best five destroyers in the world according to my analysis. They are competing in all areas such as ASW, ASM, Radars, systems, self defense and stealth and such. I am not sure but for some reason I think the Sovremenny deserves the top for the 300KM SS-N-22 Sunburns they have. No defense, too powerful, fast, undetectable and evasive.

My favourite ship? Nothing beats the Project 1144.2 Orlan, Kirov class nuclear powered missile cruiser. Just look at ALL THE MISSILES IT CARRIES ON ITS MANY MANY VLS SYSTEMS.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by COWlan]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The LCF is the best naval vessel!
It's a state of the art stealthy ship with most advanced RADAR and elecronic warfair equipment. A SMART-L radar is even capable of detecting stealth aircraft

For more info see:
www.naval-technology.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join