It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Iraq and not Iran?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This thread is about the Russian-Iranian relations, Russia's (Putin specifically) declaration that Iran is part of her near-abroad, and their Nuclear technology trading.

Are they merely economic or is it Russia's move in the Global game of Chess?

Does this support designate why in 2002 the US new that Iran had a well developed Nuclear program but pursued Iraq which had little support from Russia.

www.heritage.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well, to parapharse Fred Dalton Thompson's character in The Hunt for Red October, your average Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan. I'm not sure it applies to every Sergi, Lev, and Ivan, but I'm pretty sure it applies to Putin. The guy used to work for the KGB, after all - he probably has some sort of agenda vis-a-vis Russia's relationship with Iran.

As far as what that agenda is, I'd have to say that it is primarily economic. Russia has nuclear technology and military equipment it is willing to sell, and Iran has money to buy said technology and equipment. Russia certainly needs the cash, although their economic situation is improving of late.

I don't see Russia's relationship with Iran as being part of a "Global game of Chess", as Iran is a country with a very uncertain future. Better than a quarter ( 26.1 percent, actually) of Iran's population is under 15 years of age, and dissatisfaction with the theocracy is growing. What Iran will be doing 5, 10, or 15 years from now is far from a sure thing.

At best Russia might be hedging her bets with what is legitamately part of her "near-abroad" - and a country which, in a very real way, has the resources to support some of Russia's defense industries right now.

new topics

join