It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Questions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn
Always knock first.

This looks like something I would do(picking her up).

Well I just wanted to give the thread a little bump.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Thank you for makinbg this thread, it very interesting.

link   

link   

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have a question. Why is the divorce rate so high with police officers? I ask because I have never dated anyone in law enforcement and a man on a dating site emailed me.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpyderLady
I have a question. Why is the divorce rate so high with police officers? I ask because I have never dated anyone in law enforcement and a man on a dating site emailed me.

Police officers have to deal with a lot of stress, when they come home the are usually exhausted and extremely stressed from work. Studies have shown that police officers have a 60% divorce rate and that the leading cause is stress.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn

Originally posted by SpyderLady

Police officers have to deal with a lot of stress, when they come home the are usually exhausted and extremely stressed from work. Studies have shown that police officers have a 60% divorce rate and that the leading cause is stress.

I forgot to mention that police officers also have a high suicide rate.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I wanted to bump this thread, I have a feeling that I can help someone out there.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
So the crack heads are still living at my apartment. Oh well. Question though, why do cops have a high suicide rate? Devorce I could see, but low self esteem? I'm just curious, I would imagine that the work would be satisfying if you've helped people.

Hearing that although not shocking does sadden me a little, what are the common things that contribute to a cop going suicidal, I'm curious cause a friend of mine went that way.

Besides I am curious. Learning about this phenomina of suicide with cops helps me walk in their shoes or at least get a sense of how they feel about life, they are people too, and knowing what motivates them or breaks their heart helps me empathize with them more.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
So the crack heads are still living at my apartment. Oh well. Question though, why do cops have a high suicide rate? Devorce I could see, but low self esteem? I'm just curious, I would imagine that the work would be satisfying if you've helped people.

Hearing that although not shocking does sadden me a little, what are the common things that contribute to a cop going suicidal, I'm curious cause a friend of mine went that way.

Besides I am curious. Learning about this phenomina of suicide with cops helps me walk in their shoes or at least get a sense of how they feel about life, they are people too, and knowing what motivates them or breaks their heart helps me empathize with them more.

The biggest factor in police suicides is stress. Almost all officers want to bring criminals to justice, they want to help the world. The problem is that a lot of times you will have someone that you know has drugs on them and you cant do anything about it; you will see a house that you know has drugs, stolen goods and generally unsavory people; you will see someone that you know is guilty as sin but lack the evidence for a warrant. The hours also make it hard to have a relationship, police officers have extremely high divorce rates. When you go to a party on our off time you cant have a good time because everyone leaves or shuts up. Its hard to keep the friends you had before you were an officer. there are more reasons than I can list at the moment but officers genuinely need a break.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
How do most cops REALLY feel about gun control and the 2nd Amendment?

Do most cops favor an AWB? Do most cops approve or disapprove of Concealed Carry Permits?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicotine1982
How do most cops REALLY feel about gun control and the 2nd Amendment?

Do most cops favor an AWB? Do most cops approve or disapprove of Concealed Carry Permits?

Most officers are for guns rights, after all the guns that criminals use are usually stolen or illegal. Most officers in my department had obtained federal weapons permits.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I see a lot of post here about why cops do or don’t do this or that and I’ve seen other threads about police abuse of power, well I think it boils down to what jack web said on the old dragnet cop show . We have to recruit cop from the population and they are just people like everyone else not supermen or robots (this is not a quote as I can remember exactly what he said). Next time you see a cop ask yourself would I like to do his job could I do it as well as he /she does and could I live with all I have to see and do.
I am not a cop but I work with them all the time at a sheriff’s search and rescue they care and they try doing a good job but they are over worked and under paid. It’s a hell of a job when you have to wear body armor and carry a gun.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcssar
I see a lot of post here about why cops do or don’t do this or that and I’ve seen other threads about police abuse of power, well I think it boils down to what jack web said on the old dragnet cop show . We have to recruit cop from the population and they are just people like everyone else not supermen or robots (this is not a quote as I can remember exactly what he said). Next time you see a cop ask yourself would I like to do his job could I do it as well as he /she does and could I live with all I have to see and do.
I am not a cop but I work with them all the time at a sheriff’s search and rescue they care and they try doing a good job but they are over worked and under paid. It’s a hell of a job when you have to wear body armor and carry a gun.

If you want to speak about underpaid then speak to someone from the Danville Police Department, there were 14 officers on welfare because hey had families, its a sad day in age when you see a working police officer picking up welfare because his job doesnt pay enough.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Most officers are for guns rights, after all the guns that criminals use are usually stolen or illegal.

This seems contradictory, do you mean that the cops care about the LAW not the firearm?

The guns criminals use are illegal. This can eigther mean that the gun is illegal because it is being used to commit a crime, or that it is illegal because the right to own such a gun has been taken away.

But that is an argument for another time, thanks for answering my question.

Another question; What is the likelyhood of a LEO reporting the actions of a fellow cop if he caught him acting poorly on duty? I mean, how likely do you think it is for a "Bad Cop" to be desciplined for abuse of power if another cop sees it?

Thanks for your help, and for helping bridge the gap between Peace officers and civilian understanding.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicotine1982

Most officers are for guns rights, after all the guns that criminals use are usually stolen or illegal.

This seems contradictory, do you mean that the cops care about the LAW not the firearm?

The guns criminals use are illegal. This can eigther mean that the gun is illegal because it is being used to commit a crime, or that it is illegal because the right to own such a gun has been taken away.

But that is an argument for another time, thanks for answering my question.

Another question; What is the likelyhood of a LEO reporting the actions of a fellow cop if he caught him acting poorly on duty? I mean, how likely do you think it is for a "Bad Cop" to be desciplined for abuse of power if another cop sees it?

Thanks for your help, and for helping bridge the gap between Peace officers and civilian understanding.

Regarding the gun question I meant that 90% of the time the guns used to commit crimes had the serial numbers filed off or were illegal in some other way(automatic). This is going to sound brutal but if bad behavior keeps up usually the get a blanket party, we like to try other routes first though. All officers are on a one year probation when they first join, during that year you can fire them for no reason at all if you want. In my department we werent allowed to accept free meal, not even coffe and doughnuts:bash:

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Since some of you may not know what a blanket party is I will explain. A blanket party is when you take someone throw a comforter over them and hit them with your batons, it doesnt leave bruises. We usually reserved blanket parties for officers who werent doing there jobs right, inmates who caused a lot of trouble, anybody who assaulted an officer and any rapists.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
blanket party sounds fine to me. Most of those people probably deserve it too. Thanks for responding to my sucide question by the way.

The other day some kids were heckeling a cop at a burrito stand of all places. The cop just sat there and ate his meal. These were 16 year old kids.

It pissed me off enough that I defended the cop, and told them that they had no idea how stressful, and unthankful their jobs were, it shut them up, they left called me a bende... times with O. and walked off.

The cop came up to me and thanked me. The poor guy even had a little bit of a stutter and was kinda new on the force, but I could tell that it made his day to know that someone random that he met on the streets empathised a little with him, and understood his problems some. All from what I learned in this thread. Thanks

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
+1 on the blanket party. People are social animals, and alot of the times, reaction from peers can mean more than legal recourse to correct poor behavior.

About the cop who was heckled by the 16 year old kids, he probably gets it all the time. It was good of you to stick up for him, but personally, I wouldn't have. I'm sure he gets heckled by kids all the time, and has gotten pretty good at tuning it out, speaking out for him and making a scene probably just made it that much harder for him to ingnore it. I don't mean to say you SHOULDN'T have took up for him, just that I personally wouldn't have and my reason why.

I think cops could go a long way towards mending the rift between themselves and the public, and get back on the road to being the friend of the average civilian, by simply switching back to light blue uniforms, rather than marching around in Storm Trooper Black.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join