It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paxil is Possible Teratogen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Women who are pregnant or might become pregnant are now advised to not take the antidepressant drug Paxil, as it has been linked to birth defects:

Seattle Post Intelligencer

WASHINGTON -- Pregnant women and those who plan to become pregnant should avoid taking the antidepressant Paxil if possible because of the risk of birth defects, a group of obstetricians said Thursday.

The opinion issued by the obstetric practice committee of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists comes nearly a year after the Food and Drug Administration and manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline reclassified the drug to reflect studies in pregnant women that showed the drug poses a risk to the fetus.

Two studies of pregnant women who were taking Paxil during their first trimester have shown that their babies have heart defects at a rate that is as much as twice the norm, the FDA said at the time.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This drug has been on the market for a while, I don't know why they didn't discover this earlier.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Whats really screwed up is that its an obstetrics group that found this out, not the FDA, and not the manufacturer.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that pregnant women had previously been advised not to take Paxil. I'm almost 100% sure I remember reading that, and although I'm not a woman (or pregnant!), I do take Paxil, and I could have sworn I'd seen that warning before, either on the bottle or on something I read on the internet, or that sort of thing.

What it may have been was that in the past, the link was not conclusive, and that this study you have linked to has proven it more definitively.

new topics

join