It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military sites/facilities refurbished for new purposes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Let me give you a little history first. I was in the Navy for about 8 years as Cryptologist. I decided to get out as my old job was going into two different routes. One I would of been working with networks, which I really don't mind doing but would spend most of my time in DC area (bleh). Two would of put me in a rate where I'd spend most of my time at sea and I've seen enough families suffer because of deployments. So I got out, I did 8 years which was the required amount of time every person in the military does. I got a job working for a contracting company that works for the government in numerous places. After working there for about a year and a few months I decided to look around. I found a job working for the same company I work for but its really remote. The nearest office for the company is a 5 hour drive. I enjoy what I'm doing. Being a previous military member the job I'm doing now makes me feel good. Though the site i work at used to be an old SPACOM site. I'm just wondering how many of these old site have been taken and upgraded into something new. Anyone seen an old base that was almost closed but started shifting into a new direction?

-Aza

Admin edit: I edited the title to something more recognisable in line with the actual subject.

[edit on 26-11-2006 by SimonGray]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Just some more insight to where i work they finally show it on google.
Before it was fuzzed out.

-Aza

???

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azathoth
Let me give you a little history first. I was in the Navy for about 8 years as Cryptologist. I decided to get out as my old job was going into two different routes. One I would of been working with networks, which I really don't mind doing but would spend most of my time in DC area (bleh). Two would of put me in a rate where I'd spend most of my time at sea and I've seen enough families suffer because of deployments. So I got out, I did 8 years which was the required amount of time every person in the military does. I got a job working for a contracting company that works for the government in numerous places. After working there for about a year and a few months I decided to look around. I found a job working for the same company I work for but its really remote. The nearest office for the company is a 5 hour drive. I enjoy what I'm doing. Being a previous military member the job I'm doing now makes me feel good. Though the site i work at used to be an old SPACOM site. I'm just wondering how many of these old site have been taken and upgraded into something new. Anyone seen an old base that was almost closed but started shifting into a new direction?

-Aza

You sound like a former CTO. I retired in 2003, before all the changes, thankfully. I went the contract route myself, first in the Philippines, now in Iraq.

I believe Key West almost closed, until contractors took it over, and same thing on Diego Garcia too, it's contractor run, last i heard. Not sure if that's what you're lookin' for.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Yeah i heard about deigo garcia closing. I never knew if it went to contractor route as well though. In fact whats so crazy is the place i work at is practically contractor run as well. There are a few GS positions and they are the link to the government. I think there might be an officer or one enlisted. But I've never seen them.

-Aza

top topics

join