It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is this a "Nuclear Tunnel Boring Machine" ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
As these machines are often abandoned once the tunnel is drilled, a nuclear power source would likely not be a good idea, for risk of contamination as the machine decays over the years after abandonment.

For instance, there is still one of these TBMs buried in a chamber adjacent to the English Channel tunnel, that was abandoned, encased in concrete, and left to rot, so that the TBM coming from the other direction could finish the job. I'd be glad that wasn't a nuclear powered TBM.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by obsidian468
I'd be glad that wasn't a nuclear powered TBM.

No, becuz nuclear powered TBM's are patented by the US goverment in the 70's (US Patents #3,693,731). The nice thing about these digging machines is that they dont leave crushed rocks behind, it makes a tunnel with solid walls by melting the rock.
Going underground had to be the next step becuz of the massive amounts of spying done trough space satellites. So be ashured that there are some very good engeneered, deep underground bases by now that are build to withstand nuclear blasts (like Peterson Air Force Base)..

First 2 government-owned subterranian drilling machines:

[edit on 26/12/2006 by 137]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Is it just me or did anyone else notice the writing on the sign in front of the boring machine? It looks like it isn't in English, and I think it's Asian. Why would you have a non-english sign if this was taken in Nevada?

One thing that I can point out is the personnel in the picture. There are 3 USAF officers and it looks like one enlisted guy in greens. That was the old uniform before they switched to BDUs. A bunch of civilians is normal for an engineering program. Most USAF Civil Engineering Units have many civilians working with the military.

Also, most of them, if not all, have a badge on their jacket. This is typical for restricted area access. Someone somewhere knows about this program but I don't think they are on ATS.

So why is the sign not in English?

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by NJ Mooch
Is it just me or did anyone else notice the writing on the sign in front of the boring machine? It looks like it isn't in English, and I think it's Asian. Why would you have a non-english sign if this was taken in Nevada?

Eh!? Do you mean this sign in the top-right corner?

Firstly, what do you classify by the term "Asian"?

I can't make out all of it, but it seems to say:

USAF
ICBM
(Can't make out)
TBM START
DEC 14 1982

If anyone wants to request a decent copy of "U.S. Department of Energy, Nevada Operations Office, photo number MX-027-30, 14 December 1982" from the DoE you should hopefully be able to find out what it says with clarity.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
My machine's graphics card and monitor are not that great. After looking at your info and this pic on another machine it is clear as day for me. Thank you for this info and help.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, what sort of coolant might one of these "nuclear" TBMs use? Nuclear reactors use a lot of water for both cooling and steam turbines to produce power.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   

USAF
ICBM (Can't make out)
TBM START
DEC 14 1982

Everything but the ICMB-part makes sense to me. I thought ICBM was short for "Intercontintal Ballistic missile". Simon Grey, where did you find the "photo number MX-027-30" info?

Thanks to 137 for posting the patent papers

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
no problem, they are the best evidence that the US goverment is really capable of making complex underground facilities (dulce anyone?) for at least 30 years..

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
No they are not and it is extremely obvious. All you had to do was read what was on the first page to understand that the photo was not of a Nuclear powered tunneling machine.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DraconianKing
No they are not and it is extremely obvious. All you had to do was read what was on the first page to understand that the photo was not of a Nuclear powered tunneling machine.

DraconianKing, I was talking about the patent papers of the nuclear powered tunnel machines, these machines are real.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
erm, no. That's nt real. The antartica bit seems to be a viral campaing for aliens vs predator and a nuclear boring machine is implausible at best.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
No. This is the boring machine used at the NTS:

sg01.atlascopco.com...

One tired, leaky, creaky flogged and thrashed hunk of hardware.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by NJ Mooch
So why is the sign not in English?

It might be. look at this enhancment I did. It's not great, but it works. you can see the letters USAF along the top and some more unidentified letters on the middle. Possibly arabic? English? I don't know.

i209.photobucket.com...

[edit on 5-9-2007 by ShadeWolf]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SdiRailgun

Yes, it is a T.B.M., or Tunnel Boring Machine, I don't know about nuclear however.

If you would like to rent, lease, or buy one, here's the top company in the business.

Robbins Tunnel Boring Machines

[edit on 5-8-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Now we know one way that WTC7 could be dropped straighter down than any other
CD, even though it was higher than any building ever imploded. Just tunnel underneath to made a handy catch chute!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The ones they used to make the channel tunnel were bigger than that, and they ran of regular electricity. They concreted them into side tunnels because it was cheaper than pulling them back out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join