It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wormholes in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I was wonderin what some of you people think.Do you think that wormholes are possibly gaps in time.Do you believe that if you were sucked into a wormhole you would be transported to a different time era.Or do you just believe you will be crushed due to the gravitational pull of a wormhole.Feedback would be appreciamated.

-Alias54

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
most people agree that a wormhole is a shortcut though space.

i suppose you could argue it technically is time travel, since its much faster than traveling to the intended destination though a wormhole than though "normal" space.

and about a wormhole crushing objects, i think youre getting that confused with a black hole. though, who really knows if wormholes have crushing power or not, or if they even exist at all.

[edit on 5-11-2006 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Have we confirmed that worm holes exist?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
We've never seena worm-hole, so we don't have any observation
evidence, however they are mathematically possible, and Einsteins
equations are ridled with them.

Worm-holes most likely do not exist naturally at a scale large
enough fo a macroscopic object to pass through them, though
they may pop in and out of existance frequently on quantum
scales.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by prototism
most people agree that a wormhole is a shortcut though space.

i suppose you could argue it technically is time travel, since its much faster than traveling to the intended destination though a wormhole than though "normal" space.

and about a wormhole crushing objects, i think youre getting that confused with a black hole. though, who really knows if wormholes have crushing power or not, or if they even exist at all.

[edit on 5-11-2006 by prototism]

A wormhole (in theory) does not nessesarily mean it sends you to a location in space at an extrordinary velocity, What they are thought to do it fold space/time so that two different locations co-exist in the same space and time so that you can "jump" from one point in space to another instantaneously.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Collective

A wormhole (in theory) does not nessesarily mean it sends you to a location in space at an extrordinary velocity, What they are thought to do it fold space/time so that two different locations co-exist in the same space and time so that you can "jump" from one point in space to another instantaneously.

This is how i also understand it to be Collective.

A wormhole has`nt been found nor have i even heard of physicist`s saying they exist.

Though what the OP is referring to mainly i think is blackholes,a wormhole (which some are trying to make)would be two black holes linked but without the singularities as they call it(the heavy mass which has collapsed in on its self creating a point too heavy that it falls through the fabric of space time).

[edit on 7-11-2006 by gps777]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Here is an article that talks about wormholes used as time machines. The site also has other articles about wormholes and their plausibility in general. I have found it to be a good source of information.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Los Alamos National Laboratory Online Abstract Archive

Online search and save file!
Author/title/abstract search => LANL Online Archive

Activate the boxes "Nonlinear Sciences" and Physics"
Next to the field "Abstract" write "wormhole" and enter "Do Search"

The result shows 503 entries !

Now if that's not showing works in this field, then i really don't know what it is!

Greetz, Pontifex

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
At last, a way to test time travel

Excerpt:
THE title of Heinrich Päs's latest paper might not
mean much to you. To those who know their
theoretical physics, however, "Closed timelike
curves in asymmetrically warped brane universes"
contains a revelation. It suggests that time
machines might be far more common than we
ever thought possible.
Forget trawling the universe in search of rotating
black holes or exotic wormhole tunnels that could
supposedly let us hop from one instant to another.
According to Päs, a physicist at the University of
Hawaii at Manoa, and his colleagues, the door to
a time machine could be anywhere and
everywhere in our universe. And unlike most other
scenarios for time travel, we can test this one here
on Earth. "I think the ideas presented are
wonderful and exciting," says Bill Louis, a
physicist at Los Alamos National Laboratory in
New Mexico and co-spokesperson for the
MiniBoone neutrino experiment at Fermilab, near
Chicago. "The question is are they true or not."

Source & full abstract: New Scientist

Greetz, Pontifex

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Based on what I've heard, Wormholes are sort of "Cosmic Shortcuts" through space. They have never been proven in the physical sense, but Einstein Theorized about thir existance in the 1940's if I remember correctly.

Tim

[edit on 29-11-2006 by Ghost01]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I am certain worm holes exist everywhere, theory is that they exist even in the space around use smaller then air atoms in between each atom. We are not affected by them because of their size and lack of force but smaller more microscopic matter are sucked in and out of existence through them. I would like you to check out a web site mabey it still reads about black holes.

www.davidhamel.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by prestige8
I am certain worm holes exist everywhere,

Agreed! I believe in Wormholes too! I'm only pointing out that they haven't been scientifically proven yet. If you want to prove it, Go ahead. I'd love to have proof of wormholes.

Tim

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Worm holes create a problem for physicists: they throw causality out the window.

If causality doesn't exist, then your memories cannot be trusted. What you remember now about your past could have been completely different a second ago, but you wouldn't know that because there is no causality. One of the saving graces for physicists would be the existence of multiple parallel universes--especially universes without black holes!

This is a perfect opportunity to segue into black holes--the favorite topic of the brilliant Stephen Hawking, who has pretty much done all the work on our theoretical understanding of black holes to date. Black holes and worm holes are intimately related--and not just because they give physicists nightmares for the hypothetical implications regarding causality. Worm holes require negative energy to stay open, and the only source of negative energy that we know of is black holes. Thus, it is entirely possible that if there are any naturally occurring worm holes, they would be near black holes, but they would, in all likelihood, be quite tiny, and not stretch that far.

Of course, if worm holes don't exist, that doesn't mean that physicists get a break from the nightmare that causality doesn't exist. Black holes--due to their evaporation into Hawking radiation--are more than enough to cause causality problems. If anyone is curious, look up the Information Paradox. I'll give this much of a hint though; everything at a quantum level is reversible, and so all information in the universe is preserved. If black holes evaporate, then there is a quantum event that isn't reversible (at least according to current black hole theory), and thus destroys information--and that is how one destroys causality.

[edit on 12/3/2006 by supercheetah]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I subscribe to the train of thought that matter is partially frequency. Therefore it makes sense that when frequency of matter is increased from what I think is the standard frequency of 3d space for ordinary matter, then the matter is allowed dimensional shift to alternate dimensions. The space time of the 3d universe that we all inhabit is distorted to thread within these alternate universes, and therefore travel within the alternate dimensions leads to a distorted positioning relative to our space time. This is what I think worm holes are, not necissarily holes, but the ability to travel in a distorted proportion, on another dimension. In the alternate dimension(s) I might travel what i'm used to as 3 feet, then slow my frequency down, and reappear back in to 3d space/time, and apprear to have traveled 3 miles (example distances...)

Anyways, thanks for the thread!

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by supercheetah
Worm holes create a problem for physicists: they throw causality out the window.

Supercheetah,

I don't understand your point, can you help me with this?

Causality is what we call the Law of Cause and Effect, is it not?

Now, the way I understand it is that a wormhole works as a short cut by taking a more direct route to a given spot. Worm Holes were explained to me like this:

Imagin that you are at the base of a mountain and need to get to the town on the other side. You can either go all the way around the mountain, or you can drive through the big cave that is like a natural tunnel. It's faster because it a direct route!

What you seem to be telling us is that a cave going through the mountain defies the law of Physics by disproving the Law of cause and Effect!

I don't understand, what does one have to do with the other?

Tim

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   

If causality doesn't exist, then your memories cannot be trusted. What you remember now about your past could have been completely different a second ago, but you wouldn't know that because there is no causality. One of the saving graces for physicists would be the existence of multiple parallel universes--especially universes without black holes!

This is a perfect opportunity to segue into black holes--the favorite topic of the brilliant Stephen Hawking, who has pretty much done all the work on our theoretical understanding of black holes to date. Black holes and worm holes are intimately related--and not just because they give physicists nightmares for the hypothetical implications regarding causality. Worm holes require negative energy to stay open, and the only source of negative energy that we know of is black holes. Thus, it is entirely possible that if there are any naturally occurring worm holes, they would be near black holes, but they would, in all likelihood, be quite tiny, and not stretch that far.

Of course, if worm holes don't exist, that doesn't mean that physicists get a break from the nightmare that causality doesn't exist. Black holes--due to their evaporation into Hawking radiation--are more than enough to cause causality problems. If anyone is curious, look up the Information Paradox. I'll give this much of a hint though; everything at a quantum level is reversible, and so all information in the universe is preserved. If black holes evaporate, then there is a quantum event that isn't reversible (at least according to current black hole theory), and thus destroys information--and that is how one destroys causality.

[edit on 12/3/2006 by supercheetah]

umm blackholes are not negative energy

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by NegativeBeef
umm blackholes are not negative energy
I never said anything to that effect at all. Perhaps I should have been clearer, though. What I said is that they're a source of negative energy. Since nothing escapes black holes, they pull virtual particles out from the ground state of the vacuum around them, thus creating negative mass since there's less mass there than the state where there is zero mass (i.e. the ground state of the vacuum). Since mass and energy are equivalent according to Einstein's theory of Special Relativity, one ends up with negative energy.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01

Supercheetah,

I don't understand your point, can you help me with this?

Causality is what we call the Law of Cause and Effect, is it not?

Now, the way I understand it is that a wormhole works as a short cut by taking a more direct route to a given spot. Worm Holes were explained to me like this:

Imagin that you are at the base of a mountain and need to get to the town on the other side. You can either go all the way around the mountain, or you can drive through the big cave that is like a natural tunnel. It's faster because it a direct route!

What you seem to be telling us is that a cave going through the mountain defies the law of Physics by disproving the Law of cause and Effect!

I don't understand, what does one have to do with the other?

Tim

Analogies always lack something, and that one lacks quite a bit. A better one would be to think of an ant crossing a piece of paper. In normal space, the piece of paper is flat, and the ant has to cross the whole length of the paper. In a wormhole, the paper is folded so that the starting point of the paper and the ant's end point are right next to each other.

With wormholes, a person can bend the rules of spacetime to cross vast distances of space at essentially faster than light speeds (although the person herself is actually just travelling at subluminal speeds through warped space). One of the problems with this is that theoretically a person could travel through a wormhole to someplace, then travel back in normal space, only to find herself at that place before the time she traveled through the wormhole. Well, actually, only light could do that, but sometimes it's easier to describe a person in that situation.

The other possibility is time travel. If you remember anything about Special Relativity, I hope it was the thought experiment of the twin paradox. Here's a quick refresher: have one twin stay on Earth, and send the other twin on a journey traveling near the speed of light. When the traveling twin returns, he will be far younger than than his twin that remained on Earth. Now, we do the same thing with the wormhole. Let one of the openings to the wormhole stay at rest, and send other other opening to travel at relativistic speeds (speeds close to the speed of light). The opening that's traveling at relativistic speeds will seemingly be stuck in time (it's still aging, just not quickly). The Wikipedia article actually does a pretty good job explaining them, and even provides a decent picture to illustrate the concept.

new topics

top topics

join