It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ground breaking scientific discovery or junk??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
fox news story

personally i think its genius. if we could justuse it on humans. can anyone say the start on cryogenic freezing??!!

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by prodog
fox news story

I think this is pure genius. if we could just use it on humans. can anyone say the start on cryogenic freezing??!!

This is absolutely amazing, great find prodog

I applaud this kind of research and think that any activist for animal rights should realise that this type of research is not a cosmetic step but research that could and will save HUMAN lives!!

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
There's a thread about the researc somewhere on ATS, but I suppose
it does'nt much matter, as this has to do with animal activists as well,
and uses dogs not pigs.

I think this is great research.

As for the animal activists, well they need to get a life, and an education,
this research has the potential, and most likely will benefit humanity to
great lengths, and seeing as it's not like they're torturing the animals,
most likely use anesthetics so the animals don't feel anything, and to
that dogs are'nt sentient, I don't think it's bad.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Wasn't there some sort of wierd strange looking video from the 40's or 50's where Russian scientists had taken dogs and re-animated them? There was one scene where a German shepards severed head was re-animated and still active. It was a strange video. The video was in B&W

Pie

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

There's a thread about the researc somewhere on ATS

Yeah, I saw it yesterday, but I'm not to sure as to where...

Personally I don't agree with this.
I'm not disagreeing with this on a Animal Activist view, not on view on morallity and certainly not on a religious view.

I'm all for stem cell and transgenetic research, I just think that human life should not be tampered with in this manner for a number of reasons.
Those who may 'need' this procedure is dieng for a reason. They should come to terms that they are a part of a cycle, and they can't break it. This procedure wil not save lives, it will meerly prolonge it.

On another note, who is to say who can get this 'treatment' and who cannot?
The answer is simple: Those who can afford it may and those who cannot afford it cannot.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

EDIT:
Did you guys know that the US millitary began research on stealth camouflage, after and inspired by the movie predator?
I wonder if this is the same concept here?
Vanilla Sky. They first used a dog in their 'cryogenic research'.

[edit on 25-01-2004 by Gear]

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
On another note, who is to say who can get this 'treatment' and who cannot?
The answer is simple: Those who can afford it may and those who cannot afford it cannot.

That's how all new technolgy starts though, the rich are the only
ones who can afford it at first, but because of the demand for the
procedure, and the rich wanting it perfect, it gets more research
and eventually becomes cheap enough for the common person to
afford it.

Hoenstly, I like it that way, since the rich are inadvertantly human
guinea pigs, so by the time the technology reaches me, it's safe.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Hoenstly, I like it that way, since the rich are inadvertantly human
guinea pigs, so by the time the technology reaches me, it's safe.

Ha Ha Ha!
Good point! I like it!

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I fail to see how this research is a good thing.
Some one please explain.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It will allow people to be Cryogenically frozen.

Say you have a terminal disease, and it's projected that the cure
won't be around for another 5 years, but you only have a year to live.
You go into Cryo until the cure is around, than you're brough out of it,
and can be cured.

Or it could be used as a punishment, you kill someone, and get put in
Cryo for a century, by the time your sentence is up, everything and
everyone you love would be gone, which in alot of cases would be an
adequate punishment.

Of course this needs alot more research to be able to reach that point,
but the point is that this has the potential to allow for the above.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Say you have a terminal disease, and it's projected that the cure
won't be around for another 5 years, but you only have a year to live.
You go into Cryo until the cure is around, than you're brought out of it,
and can be cured.

Now this sounds like the plot of Vanilla Sky
one of my top 10 films.

Or it could be used as a punishment, you kill someone, and get put in
Cryo for a century, by the time your sentence is up, everything and
everyone you love would be gone, which in a lot of cases would be an
adequate punishment.

I have often thought of this but instead of cryo the whole person you could do a body part. For example....

A thief is convicted and so his hands are removed and cryo frozen for a term of say 6 months before they are returned to him.

Think this would act as a good deterrent, would cut down on the prison population and prevent re offending.

I would make one concession to the rule of re-attachment and that is for rapist and pedo's, they of course should have their bits removed permanently.

heheh call me a little right wing if you like but I think this may work better than the current judicial system we currently have.

Of course this needs a lot more research to be able to reach that point,
but the point is that this has the potential to allow for the above.

Totally agree, the more research the further the capabilities this technique will provide.

All the best people,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Because this test has been done on Dogs we can not be sure what kind of problems a human brain may have after been inanimate for long with not blood.

I have the feelings that results in humans will be more complicated that those done on dogs.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Because this test has been done on Dogs we can not be sure what kind of problems a human brain may have after been inanimate for long with not blood.

Well yes, they do say that after 're-animation' the dogs have behavioural problems.
Human's having these problems might be a bit harder to deal with.
Who knows? Dog's are 'beasts.' When they develop these problems we see it as simple behavioural problems. But if this procedure was used on humans it may come to view in a different light. The human brain may revert to a completely 'beast' type state, rather than displaying behavioural problems or anti-social tendencies.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   

But if this procedure was used on humans it may come to view in a different light. The human brain may revert to a completely 'beast' type state, rather than displaying behavioral problems or anti-social tendencies.

Interesting that you bring that, it kind of sounds like when people goes into extended comas.

Some individuals will come out of it fine, but others experience completely lost of personality changing drastically and with problems with memory or becoming the oposite of what they use to be.

Others after coma come back with behavioral problems and having a hard time controlling anger.

Interesting.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Fantastic find!

This research would be best used in warfare... It could save hundreds and thousands of lives if a portable, non-cost prohibitive form of it could be established... Because most injuries in battle could be fixed with little difficulty in the proper facitilities, and this would provide a way to preserve the patient until they could be transported to facilities that could provide the care needed.

As far as the testing on animals... How many dogs a day are put to sleep in local pounds and humane shelters? So what if their lives could be made more meaningful through experimentation?

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It would be interesting if people volunteered to have this done to them for a couple hours, they could be asked where they (or their souls) went for that point in time we call them clinically dead, could something like this answer our questions of the afterlife?

But then again, does this just extend the time where a being can be declared technically dead, say after the 3-4 hour non-recover point, where the dogs/or future human guinea pigs fail to revive. Would that become the new standard for determining what is clinically dead?

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I think, in all honesty, it's rediculas.
They are just playing around with life, trying to control it.

They use the excuse that it could be used in crime vicums and casualties of war untill they could get medical treatment.

I'm thinking... get real. If you can't get an ambulance to a crime seen in time to save a life, what makes me think you can get all the gadgets needed to do this to a crime seen (and then empty the body of blood and refill it with this solution) in time to save them?

Most likely, IMO - they can't get government funding to do work on cryogenics (to make billions per person), so they are trying to come up with another way to do the same research and get some government money for it.

When it's your time - get over it, quit fighting it, your done.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

And why should I, or anyone else who wants to extend their life
have to accept that, if the technology exists to do it, I'll use it,
as I have no wanting or intention on dieing.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   

But that's the beauty of it. You are an individual. But you are still a part of greater cycles, regardless of technology. As an individual, you have used alot of resources in these cycles. When you die, your return some of the resources you used. Like your body returning to decomposing and returning to nature, for example.
To extend your life when the body is ready to die will simply deny this cycle's course. That's not the worst of it. Continuing to live will use even more resources.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

But that's the beauty of it. You are an individual. But you are still a part of greater cycles, regardless of technology. As an individual, you have used alot of resources in these cycles. When you die, your return some of the resources you used. Like your body returning to decomposing and returning to nature, for example.
To extend your life when the body is ready to die will simply deny this cycle's course. That's not the worst of it. Continuing to live will use even more resources.

I've used very few resources compared to a normal person.
The amount my body would return hardly comes close to the amount
I've used, so it really would'nt have am affect.

I don't care if I use more resources, every person born uses more,
as long as we balance and replenish the natural resources we use,
people can live as long asd they want and not have a problem, and
if we need more resources, well the solar system is littered with vast
quantities of unused resources that otherwise would'nt be used.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

Good point, and I'm certainly not against it. But here's the thing:

If someone wants to spend millions of dollars on the hope that they can be brought back to life later after being frozen - I have no problem with that. Anyone is free to spend THEIR money on what ever they choose. And they have every right to have what ever hopes and wishes as well. But as a tax payer - LEAVE MY MONEY ALONE. Don't even think about spending MY hard earned money on something so bias. If the rich want to blow a wad on this - fine. But what is this technology going to do for the 90% of the population that can't afford it once they've perfected it? Not a Dang thing. They'll steal the money from the working class folks, use it to find new hope for the few elete that can afford it in the future, then leave us all high and dry. If they want to do this, fine, but don't lie about the reason behind wanting to do it so that they can steal money from my paycheck.
Do what you want, just don't take a free ride on me to do it.

That's ^ my point. I didn't do a very good job being clear about that in my origonal post I guess.

But for a person to want to dabble - I have no problem with that at all. Heck, I excersice, try to eat right and take the few suppliments I think are nessasary. I even eat wild game and veggies and fruits from the garden to help keep the pollutants out of my food --- so I can't talk when it comes to wanting to increase life. I do it myself.

top topics

join