It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Japan Reexamine Its Nuclear Weapons Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Japanese politicians are wondering if Japan needs to acquire nuclear weapons now that North Korea has tested a nuclear weapon. Japan has, long ago, decided it did not want nuclear weapons. In years past, whenever a politician brought the subject up of "Japan should seek nuclear weapons", he was met with severe criticism. One of Japans political parties are now saying there should be a discussion about whether Japan should posses nuclear weapons due to the threat of North Korea's nuclear and missile programs.

www.washingtonpost.com
TOKYO, Oct. 15 -- Japan needs to discuss whether it should possess nuclear weapons in response to North Korea's claimed nuclear test, the ruling party's policy chief said Sunday.

Shoichi Nakagawa, chairman of the Liberal Democratic Party's policy research council, said he believed Japan would adhere to its policy of not arming itself with nuclear weapons but added that debate over whether to go nuclear was necessary.

"We need to find a way to prevent Japan from coming under attack," Nakagawa told a television program, referring to what Tokyo should do following North Korea's reported nuclear test.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, you can't blame Japan for getting nervous about North Korea's recent nuclear test, especially with the threats that have been launched at them from North Korea.

Japan has abided by its self imposed nuclear weapon ban, but now with this newest threat one of their political parties wants to open a discussion about if it is wise not to posses nuclear weapons. It is not against Japans constitution to posses nuclear weapons.

I wonder how many other countries in that region are thinking the same way Japan is? And if they are, could you blame them? The only way I see to stop other countries in that region from feeling they need to acquire nuclear weapons is to to get North Korea to end its nuclear weapons program.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Can't blame japan for getting nervous, then again, can't blame the US for not trusting the Japanese to have one. They might start thinking 'hmm, that old imperial dream sure seems nice, how far away is pearl harbour?"...

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
man i dont know.. Japans local isnt to friendly right now.. But we dont need any more of those mass killing machines in this already mad world..But you cant blame japan for wanting a strong deterent in order to protect the peeps..

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The best thing that can happen now is that the rest of the world cuts all relations with NK and more severe sanctions are imposed.

Obviously their mastery of nuclear weapons isn't cutting edge. It is imperative that neighboring countries and countries that NK has threatened feel safe that no other country will help them (NK) "dial in" their nuclear weapons. Until then, you can't blame countries like Japan feeling threatened.

I hope that hearing that one of Japan's, (who, by themselves decided they did not want nuclear weapons), political parties are now wanting to discuss the necessity of nuclear weapons for defense, that China might re-think how serious this is that NK is testing nuclear weapons and may ask themselves how many more countries might seek nuclear weapons now in their neighborhood..

[edit on 16/10/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
What is the BS about Japan not being friendly enough with the U.S. to have its own nuclear weapons?

I'd trust the Japanese nowadays with a nuke much more than the French who already have them.

Anyway, I think the U.S. would support a nuclear Japan more than the Japanese would themselves, since they were the only country ever attacked with one (by us of course
)

top topics

join