It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malnutrition and misery will be 'unimaginable' by 2054

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This article is a couple of years old, but unfortunately we’re still right on track with it’s predicitions.

www.news.cornell.edu...

If today's global statistics of more than 3 billion malnourished people are worrisome, try projecting 50 years into the future, when Earth's population could exceed 12 billion and there could be even less water and land, per capita, to grow food.

Think about it. We’re only @ 47 years away from this date, and this horrific dilemma! If we don’t do something about this, and soon, billions will die. Yes, that’s billions with a “B”.

The main cause will be lack of water, and lack of cropland. . .

Same source as above

Harvests of cereal grains, the mainstay of human diets and 80 percent of the world food supply, have increased slightly since 1985 but not nearly fast enough to keep pace with increases in population.

Rising malnutrition increases human susceptibility to other diseases, such as malaria, diarrhea and AIDS.

The prediction of a 12 billion global population by 2054 is based on the current rate of growth with each couple producing an average of 2.9 children. Even if nations' policy changes reduce the birth rate to an average of 2 children per couple, the 12 billion mark would be reached in 70 years.

Because more than 99.8 percent of human food comes from the land, doubling the planet's population will further stress resources for fresh water, renewable and fossil energy, fertilizers and pesticides.

For the most finite resource of all, land, each year more than 10 million hectares of cropland are degraded and lost because of soil erosion. This comes at a time when food production should be increasing dramatically to meet the needs of a rapidly expanding population. Pimentel noted that per-capita cropland has declined 20 percent worldwide in the past decade.

This scares the heck out of me because I have a 1 ½ yr old daughter. What kind of a predicament am I leaving her to deal with? We have to take appropriate actions for our kids sake. . . I can't let my baby girl die because she has nothing to eat. Not now, and not in the future either. But I feel terribly helpless. . . What can we do?

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I have a 17-month old boy, I occasionally have the same worries.

All you can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
2054??? I don't think that civilization can hold together that long. Seriously. I'd be extremely surprised to see the planet hold together until even 2020.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This report doesn't even seem to touch on the fact that our Western Diet is friggen awful to begin with.

Check out this vid: Food As Medicine

We wonder why our general health is so bad with Cancer and Heart desigse constantly on the rise, but we never stop to look at all the crap we're consuming. There is almost no nurtriant content in the average diet. Cancer cells have ten times as many insulin reseptors as normal cells, suggesting that they survive primaraly on sugar... yet sugar is a huge part of our diets and is almost never talked about as a health risk.

Lump that in with the fact that we are growing our vegitables on almost entirely oil-based feralizers (meaning we're litterally eating oil) and meat production is done with no reguard for nutritional infussion (meaning that if the pigs don't eat things that are good for them, eating them doesn't provide nutrition).

Our current food base is shot.
Things can only get worse if people don't wake up.

BTW, the video I linked to helped spark off a nutritional rampage on my part. I've never been so aware of what I'm eating and it has payed off. I'm now healthier, have more energy, and even find myself in better moods than ever before... and I've never been a fastfood junky.

top topics

join