It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons from Vietnam that leaders have failed to heed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Three years ago, during an interview in New York, McNamara raised the ire of Australian Vietnam veterans by concluding that they should never have been there in the first place.

At the time, comparisons between Vietnam and Iraq were starting to be made as it became apparent Iraq would not be the cakewalk the US Vice-President, Dick Cheney, and other Bush Administration hawks had boldly predicted.

McNamara said the US had not fully learned the lessons of Vietnam, one of which was that if you couldn't persuade key allies - the Europeans - to join the cause, then the cause was questionable.

"In Vietnam, we didn't have a single major nation. Australia, to some degree, was supportive," he said.

link

Other then forgotting about South Korea contribution I think that McNamara is spot on. I dont think that Iraq should be compared directly to Vietnam but that dosnt mean that the lessons from Vietnam should go unheeded. The American right should also take notice that McNamara has taken responsibility for his and Americas actions
and that he isnt blaming people who had enough sense to oppose the war in vietnam for defeat that the US and its allies suffered in that countrie.

And yet 40 years later we are hearing the same BS from the American right.
I would bet that the Iraqi government is also feeding the US government what they want to hear either that or the Bush admin just sees what it wants to.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Hi, Xpert--

Well, as a Veteran of that War, I absolutely agree with you and McNamara.--and the opening of this thread. It should be a very interesting discussion, tho, I'd like to hear from some more 'Nam Vets. I well remember the South Korean Marines--The Blue Dragon and the Cobra Divisions, in Vietnam under the auspices of the FWF--just like
the "Aussum Aussies".

I am probably one of the first, at least here in Undisclosed, to compare Iraq with 'Nam. About the only difference is the real estate, so, no, the powers-that-be haven't learned a
thing.

Thank's Dude-- I have subscribed to this one.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Ed Littlefox thanks for the reply my Dad was with an Digger in Vietnam. I am also looking foward to reading the responses to this thread.
Cheers xpert11.

join