It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran To Open Up Nuclear Sites As Tourist Attractions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
In a suprising move the President of Iran Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has asked the countries Tourism Organisation to prepare plans for the opening up of nuclear sites, to foreign tourists to pay and visit them.

news.bbc.co.uk
Iran's president has ordered that the country's nuclear sites be opened to foreign tourists to prove its programme is peaceful, state media report.

Possible attractions would include the plants at Isfahan and Natanz, or a reactor being built in Bushehr.

"This authorisation has been issued since the Iranian nuclear activities are peaceful," Esfandyar Rahim Mashaii told the agency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well the fact of Nuclear Reactors having day trips is not a new thing in the wider world, the Sellafield reprocessing and Power plant in Cumbria in the UK is open for such tours.

However there is obviously no need here as in other visitor centres to try and placate the local populations fears of the dangers of nuclear power. This is a further twist in the showdown between Iran and the wider world, the UN and specifically the USA in its aims to develop its Nuclear programme.

I believe this is more show than reality, and the thought that "tourists" could verify any facts on the Iranian publicised "peaceful" purposes of its growing nuclear desires is ridiculous. However it may signal an growing willingness to open up their sites for inspection by the IAEA.

This is also a little to close to the recent North Korean Nuclear device test statement yesterday, considering the fear that is surfacing now publicly of a growing allegiance between "rogue" states such as Iran, Syria, North Korea and Venezuela and Cuba. I believe this may be an attempt of such a pact if it exists to confuse the issue and redirect or "spin" the worlds view their way. This may be supported by the recent developments of those countries in facing up to the "west" in recent months. First the Lebanon, then the Venezuela Presidents remarks at the UN, then North Korea's announcement of a Nuclear Test, now this. This situation is growing worse and quickly.

Related News Links:
www.ynetnews.com
english.aljazeera.net
www.iht.com
english.people.com.cn

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
As I pointed out in the regular current events thread, the U.S. Department of Energy offers a tour of its nuclear weapon development and testing site.

I'm sure they don't show anything that would help you build a nuke though...this is just for show by the Iranians.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Yeah, just like NK, their nuclear program is for peaceful purposes only.

That is until they test a nuclear bomb like their friends in NK.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Well at least they are making this move, maybe the fact that NK is preparing for a test has scared them a little that the US and other countries wont let Iran get to that point. So they in their own manner wnat to show that the facilties ar for peaceful purposes without it seeming like they are bending to the US's whim.

As far as the alliance of rougue nations thats mentioned if anyone has any ideas as to how it could be pressed upon them that if they dont like americas policies and dominiance that they should work hard like we do here to develop their economies and companies so that they have a more domineering presence on the world stage as opposed to take the lazy mans way out of complaining and trying to antagonize with threats and banter about how life isnt fair.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
whats unbelievable is we have little proof to without a doubt say they are attempting to build nuclear weapons, yet NK is getting ready to test its nuclear weapons. Am I missing something here? I think so, as is every other american and citizen of this world who isn't in the loop. I want to know whats going on behind the scenes, because it doesn't make sense.

top topics

join