It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A380 To Be Delayed Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Airbus said that the A380 superjumbo jet will be delayed for aproxmently another year. Airbus said that the problems with production is the installation of the three hundred miles of wiring in each plane. Some of the superjumbo customers hinted that the delay could lead to cancellations. Emirates, a customer with a forty-five plane order has said that this is a very serious issue, and the company is reviewing it options. Airbus said that they have been discussing the delays with their customers but over all the superjumbo is still being considered to be a success.

www.chron.com
Airbus parent EADS said Tuesday that the flagship A380 superjumbo jet will be delayed for another year and Virgin Atlantic and Emirates _ the plane's biggest customer _ hinted that the new setbacks could lead to order cancelations.

In a statement issued after its second board meeting in four days, EADS said the latest delays will cut an extra 2.8 billion euros ($3.6 billion) off operating profit and announced a restructuring plan to cut costs and boost productivity at Airbus.

Airbus sees "no significant signs" that cancelations are likely from any of its A380 customers, CEO Christian Streiff said during a conference call with reporters and analysts. "Until now, everybody's still on board."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I do think that the superjumbo jet is a marvel of engineering. I am just uncertain that it will be a profitable passenger carrier. The deliver has now been delayed about two years or so for the first delivery. That is bringing the deliver date closer to the delivery date for the 787. The 787 is not in the same category as the superjumbo but I can't say there is not the possibility that some customers may decide to re think there bunsiss strategy taking into account the changing world around them.

Related News Links:
news.xinhuanet.com
in.today.r euters.com
www.channelnewsasia.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
'New delay' to Airbus super-jumbo
SCI/TECH: Airbus A380 to Fly on Wednesday
OP/ED: Airbus and Its Continued Subsidies By Europe (Part I)

[edit on 3-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Not very good news for Airbus that is for sure. I wonder why the series of problems have plagued them for so long?

A two year delay for a niche market aircraft seems like a long time to me.
I can see the ripple effect starting already at US airports that had planned expansions to handle the plane where they will no doubt, put the plans on hold rather then waste taxpayer dollars which will then slow the market growth for the aircraft.

I have one question though. Does anyone know for certain just what were the problems encountered with the wiring, was it quality control, Length related or what?

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

I have one question though. Does anyone know for certain just what were the problems encountered with the wiring, was it quality control, Length related or what?

Shots,
I do agree it is not good for AirBus. But to put it in perspective, a project that size would almost never be done on time. They were creating something that required new manufactering technics, on a scale that has never been done before. I have little doubt that they have learned things that would not have been guessed ahead of time.

As to the wiring, I suspect that the wiring is little more then a minor problem if that. I wouls guess that they are haveing engenering problems. If they are that is not something they would want to announce. People from air bus are on this site so if any of them want to clarafy any of this it I am sure it would anser many questions.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
They were creating something that required new manufactering technics, on a scale that has never been done before.

Realy??? What about the B747 it rolled out virtually on schedule as I recall. sure it had delays but they were nothing compared to this.

I wouls guess that they are haveing engenering problems. .

No kidding
Something one would not expect in the age of CAD computing :shk:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

No kidding
Something one would not expect in the age of CAD computing :shk:

Shots,
as good as I am sue cad is I am also sure it cant solve all the problems. And there is always that possibility that they did not have all the figuers quite right.
But it is nice to see that I was able to help brighten your day a little bit with a little laugh.

new topics

top topics

join