It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-radiation Air-to-Air Missile

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Daedalus3,

Do you know what radar they carry?. If you know, can you shed some light on its performance

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Yes, they may be carrying R-27s - the IR version. Look at the nose of the UB. Compare that to the nose of the single seater. Do the same for the F/A-18B and A. Notice the difference? Yep, there is less space for a radar in the Mig, while the Hornet removes fuel to find space for the second seat, but keeps the radar. This is a common trait with Russian fighter trainers. I've had some of my friends get a ride in 29 after an exercise, and they confirmed that the radar in the 29 is simulated. There is a display, but no live input. As I understand it, the rear seater can program tracks to appear, and the trainee practices weapon selection and employment this way.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I totally agree with you Willard..
The MiG29UB has no radar whatsoever. It is indeed simulated.

But these a/c below are not the UB trainers:

Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4
Link5
Link5

As far as I know the MiG 29Cs have been reported to be fitted with the Phazotron Zhuk M radar and they have been reconfigured to fire the R-77AE.

Also all those pics above seem to be carrying the R-27RE1 because of the evident lack of a IR seeker upfront.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Close. They're Alamo As. You can see that the missile body is straight all the way to the back of the missile. The extended range missiles have a noticable step where the sustain section joins the missile. While the link below isn't to scale, it does show the difference quite clearly.

AA-10 drawings

The Mig-29 can't carry the extended missile under it's wing because of the size of the missile interfering with control surfaces.

This link actually shows the subtle difference nicely. If you look just after the third black band, you can see the bulge where the sustain section angles out.

Flanker with AA-10C in foreground

You can kind of make it out on the D beside it as well.

Hope this all makes sense!

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   
True Willard. They seem to be AA-10As..

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by warset

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join