It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China & Russia, who has more advanced tanks?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
Dont forget the only tanks the NATO and its allies faced were old monkey versions of russian tanks and with most of the time poor training.

That argument can be made ( it's true imo) but the most important difference is in my opinion is terrain and lack of support. The Russian doctrine does not demand that tanks hunt tanks and even thought their tanks were generally not inferior to any large degree this would not have mattered much at average combat ranges in the European theater. When you take the results of the first gulf war ( the Iraqi's assembled those T-72's themselves from parts smuggled in) as some kind of standard your bound to come to the wrong conclusions about the capabilities of equipment in question. Russian tanks are after all designed to run over whatever is left after tactical nuclear strikes or massed artillery fire and they are then perfectly capable of staging ambushes to protect the penetration with their main gun or tube launched AT guided missiles.

Stellar

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
One would bring the question of what role the Chinese have set forth for their armored units. Russian armor doctrine has always been quite modern in terms of conventional armor assualts, including a high degree of mechanization of their supporting infantry, purpose built support aircraft, and tanks capable of performing their mission: Invasion of western europe.

Does anyone have a clue as to how the Chinese will use their supposibly advanced armor?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Warset, you're comparing russia's wargames in the 90s? Ironicaly anyone else who tries to talk down the russian military uses the 90s as his main argument. USSR collapsed in 89, criminals took control of the country (hell, you might aswell say russia was the first country in the world to be run by an alcoholic). Russia was rockbottom after it had a change of goverment, and is back up on it's feet in 10 years resuming it's place as a world power. When the USSR was about not a single nation in the world would dare take stabs at it's military like this, they had their moment in the 90s, and that's over now. No country in history has done that. While russia was rockbottom everyone who wanted to took every single chance they had to trample it and take hits on it. If you think china has better armor keep in mind, if it wasn't for Russia you wouldn't have armor at all, nor an airforce, or navy or anti-air systems. I really doubt that those upgrades on those tanks make them stand out that much anyways. By the way, Russia invented (AKA actually designed, constructed, thought of) the T series, name me a chinese tank that is invented by china that stands out and is respected by the world, a tank that's not an upgrade of the russian tanks you guys get. Oh and your comment on the chinese tanks being better because they look better (also some other moron said russian tanks look old by finding the worst resolution pic i have ever seen) all I have to say to you is grow up or wise up or something. To whoever said (can't remember who this guy was) that russian tanks were being torn apart in chechnya know this; ALL the tech that was assigned to chechnya was by record out of date(as in it served it's time and did not recieve maintanance), faulty, and over all not fit for service. I don't want to get into explaining the background of that but it should give you guys a pretty good picture of how #ed up it was in russia in the 90s. That's changed now.

regards

PS: warset, keep your pitty about the people of the "USSR" to yourself cause Russians don't need it. I know communism cause I lived in it so belive me i know what i'm talking about when I say this. "ended up like this"....like what? True Russia is the tsarist times, there's no tsar now, even though he's replaced by a president things that made Russia what it truly was have or are slowly returning (the russian navy flag, the 2 headed eagle etc.). Don't even dare mouth off like that as if you're better cause you are still communist. The very existence of China right now is more than half owned to Russia (USSR back then). And don't talk about things you don't know "who fought bravely (and many even died) for the glorious cause of communism". I can tell you right now no matter what happens in Russia it's people will always be with it, no matter the hardships. Those people fought for Russia, for their land and their families first hand and always.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Just some random info but the second picture in the thread, of the Russian tank that has fabric coverings - that some people have said looks outdated, that's actually IR signiture reducing and radar absorbing material - apparently very stealthy against millimetric radar and IR ....

I think that the Chinese Type-99 is probably better than the T-90 but overall, there's not a lot in it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join