It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Menezes police officer promoted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Menezes police officer promoted

One of the senior officers in charge on the day Jean Charles de Menezes was shot dead by police is to be promoted.
Commander Cressida Dick is to become a deputy assistant commissioner, the Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) announced on Tuesday.

Mr Menezes was shot seven times at Stockwell Underground station.

The family of the Brazilian man said they were "absolutely disgusted and outraged at what is just one more slap in the face".

The 27-year-old was mistaken for a suicide bomber a day after the failed bombings on 22 July last year.

Source.

Funny old world. I would have thought that being in charge on a day when an innocent man gets shot in the face might put a dent in your chances for promotion. How wrong can you be?

Jean Charles de Menezes (7 January 1978–22 July 2005) was a Brazilian electrician living in Tulse Hill in south London, United Kingdom. Menezes was shot and killed at Stockwell tube station on the London Underground by unnamed Metropolitan Police officers. Police later issued an apology, saying that they had mistaken him for a suspect in the previous day's failed bombings and acknowledging that Menezes in fact had no explosives and was unconnected with the attempted bombings.
Source.

And it's a surprise that people have no faith in the police in this country?

[edit on 12/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Here's a few ATS threads about the shooting of Menezes who ran from authorities when they approached him. This took place within days after the London bombings.

Really is sad that he died. But if he would have applied a little common sense he would still be alive today.

There's some things you just do not do. And one of them things is running towards a crowded subway after being approached by the police days after a series of bombings in your town.

Shoot To Kill Policy Correct?

NEWS: Man mistakenly shot dead in London was Brazilian...

Man killed in London subway not involved in attacks, police say .

[edit on 12/9/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
So if you make a mistake your life is now void?

Would you prefer for him to make up for his mistake or do you feel that he should be shot?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think that if you are innocent, have nothing to hide, are not breaking any laws, you should stop when told to do so by a police officer. Keep your hands in plain sight and do exactly and only exactly what they officer tells you to do.

If you have not done anything, you'll be questioned and released, end of story, no one gets shot....

Just do what the police say, its very easy.......

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

No, people make mistakes. It's a sad part of life that some mistakes end up costing people their lives. In this case Menezes made a mistake by running from the cops, and the police also ended up making a mistake by shooting a man that turned out to have nothing to do with why they initially wanted him.

Would you prefer for him to make up for his mistake or do you feel that he should be shot?

He should not have been shot. I feel for him, and I also for the officer that shot him, who was put into a situation where at the time believed a guy was a threat to others. The guy suddenly starts running away when approached, as if he has something to hide or like he's about to do something. He runs towards a crowded subway.....the officer (at the time) had reason to believe that this guy was about to blow people up. He did what he thought was best.

Should she be promoted? I don't think so. Even though I feel that he made the best decision at the time, he still made a mistake that cost the life of someone else.

[edit on 13/9/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Commander Cressida Dick was in charge of the firearms unit that executed an innocent man in front of a packed carriage of commuters. They reportedly fired eleven shots, seven of which entered his skull, one, his shoulder, and I assume the rest missed.

An officer on duty at Scotia Road compared Menezes to the CCTV photographs of the bombing suspects from the previous day, and felt "it would be worth someone else having a look", but "was in the process of relieving [him]self", and was thus unable to immediately turn on a video camera to transmit images to Gold Command, the Metropolitan Police ("Met") operational headquarters for major incidents. Police thought they had positively identified a suicide bomber.

On the basis of this officer's suspicion, Gold Command authorised officers to continue pursuit and surveillance.

Documents from the independent agency investigation of the shooting later concluded that mistakes in police surveillance procedure led to a failure to properly identify Menezes early on, leading to rushed assumptions and actions later at Stockwell Tube station.

Source.

The operation was quite obviously botched.

The officers followed Menezes for 5 minutes as he walked to the Tulse Hill bus-stop for the Number 2 bus line. As he boarded the bus, several plainclothes police officers boarded, continuing the pursuit. At Brixton Station Menezes briefly got off the bus, saw the station was closed, and reboarded the bus to continue to Stockwell. The three surveillance officers later stated that they were satisfied that they had the correct man, as he "had mongolian eyes". Finally the bus arrived at Stockwell Tube station, 3.3km (2 miles) away.

At some point during this journey, the pursuing officers contacted Gold Command, and reported that Menezes potentially matched the description of two of the previous day's suspects, including Osman Hussain. Based on this information, Gold Command authorized "code red" tactics, and ordered the surveillance officers to prevent Menezes from boarding a train. According to a "senior police source at Scotland Yard", Police Commander Cressida Dick told the surveillance team that the man was to be "detained as soon as possible", before entering the station. Gold Command then transferred control of the operation to SO19, which dispatched firearms officers to Stockwell Tube Station.

Source.

You can surely see the failures for yourself.

I am not aware of how much a Commander in the Met is expected to earn, but I imagine it is quite a hefty amount. I am not saying she should be sacked. I just find it interesting that the person in charge of such a high profile screw up is now being promoted.

I also find the term you use interesting, I do not expect her life to be "void", but let's face it, Jean Charles de Menezes life is now "void", and all due to that regrettable fact that he "had mongolian eyes".

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Personally I think the question is this. If he was shot dead by police and they found him to have a bomb on his body, would the shooting have been justified? If yes, then the shooting was justified based on his abnormal reaction to the situation. If I remember correctly he was wearing a very heavy coat on a warm day ... made him stand out in the crowd. He forced the police to make a very difficult decision ... kill someone that might have explosives on him or take the risk of him running into a crowded subway and killing innocents.

It's easy to monday morning quarterback the situation knowing ALL the facts. Remember those officers didn't have all the facts we have ... they had a suspicious person who had the appearance of a possible bomber ... who bolted from them towards a crowded subway and this occured a few days after some major bombings. Let's be thankful that not all of us have to make quick-second decisions that can affect people's lives.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Sigh! He was not wearing a heavy coat. It was a Jean Jacket. He did not jump the ticket gate.
I don't know the laws in that country, but here in American when someone dies due to an accident caused by another person that person is charged with Involuntary Manslaughter. Every person who was involved in this mans death should have been fired and charged with Involuntary Manslaughter at the least, and jail for to 1 to 5 years and pay heavy fines and restitution to the family.

There is no Justice in England and this case flagrantly proves it.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sistinas
Every person who was involved in this mans death should have been fired and charged with Involuntary Manslaughter at the least, and jail for to 1 to 5 years and pay heavy fines and restitution to the family.

No offence but dont try to tell me how my country should run itself, I dont comment on your countries actions inside its borders.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Every person who was involved in this mans death should have been fired and charged with Involuntary Manslaughter at the least, and jail for to 1 to 5 years and pay heavy fines and restitution to the family.

No offence but dont try to tell me how my country should run itself, I dont comment on your countries actions inside its borders.

No offence but I am a American and when I wrote that I was on American soil, and in America I have a right to free speech. I will continue to practise this right until my last dieing breath. In fact if this was to happen in my country and you said the same thing to me. I would no be offended at all. Because I believe that evey human on this earth should have the right to free speech, And I would have agreed with you. I still stand by what I said Mr.Menezes was murdered in your country, and the people responsible for it were not held accountable for it.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Its not england its the United Kingdom please....as for your statement about what should happen to those involved i personally think that is disgraceful.Until the full facts of what happened are released to the public,and i think they should,then i think to make statements like that are foolish.A case of damned if you do damned if you dont...

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

The incident went under an Independent Police Complaints Comission Enquiry, since police by and large don't have guns in this country, this is the standard procedure. The man who was promoted was not the man who pulled the trigger, he was the commanding officer on duty in an office at the time.

I hate the whole Menezes affair, mention it and all of the ultra-left liberals come crawling out of the woodwork.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   

No offence but I am a American and when I wrote that I was on American soil, and in America I have a right to free speech. I will continue to practise this right until my last dieing breath. In fact if this was to happen in my country and you said the same thing to me. I would no be offended at all. Because I believe that evey human on this earth should have the right to free speech, And I would have agreed with you. I still stand by what I said Mr.Menezes was murdered in your country, and the people responsible for it were not held accountable for it.

Mr Menezes was not murdered, he was mistaken for someone else. It happens , it cant be helped and the man holding the gun is diffrent from the man identifying the target.

If this happened in america it might not have happened but we could if all day and achieve nothing, what happened is sad but by no means was it murder. Also you have a right to free speech but no right to tell me how to run my country or hasnt that been the american standard policy for the last 200 years? What happened was a british affair , you can comment all you want but dont think it will hold wieght in the british isles.

top topics

join