It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PDE Pressurization Idea....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally found onPulse Detonation Engine.

So how do you go about turning a comparatively gentle deflagration reaction into a detonation?

One important component of triggering a detonation is pressure.

It is much easier to detonate a mixture of air and fuel if it is highly compressed prior to (or during) the ignition process.

So the way to help something detonate would be to increase the pressure. Would it be possible to use a conventional (or slightly modified) ramjet with secondary air intakes that go right to the combustion chamber, presumably mounted on the "front" of the chamber to use sheer air pressure to compress the mixture?

I understand that the intake would have to be variable (like a pulsejet I guess) to prevent the blast from moving forward (even with the air shooting in if it were open). But would this help the mixture to detonate, or even deflagrate faster?

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Another note- I realize that the valving and overall structure of the jet would have to be strengthened. PDEs are alot more powerful than conventional jets. They also blow away the noise made by pulsejets, and the vibration is no doubt horrible on the airframe. But the idea here is to find out if using air pressure would compress the mixture enough to make any difference in detonation/deflagration speed.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
you mean like this ? :

an origional design from the " an infinite number of munkies equiped with visio " school of design

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Yeah. Something like that.

Well, I'd think you'd have a main intake, then be able to control (or at least SOMETHING have control over) the secondary intakes. Open and close them and such. Near ground a PDE is probably not the greatest thing ever due to the sound. It ain't gonna make anything very stealth. So if you closed the secondary intakes it would function more as a ramjet. Or perhaps even a turbojet if that could be done. But yes, that it the basic gist of it. I don't suppose it would actually work?

top topics

join