It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran opens cartoon exhibit of the Holocaust

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
In response to the cartoon fiasco of the prophet Muhammad, an exhibition of more than 200 cartoons depicting the Holocaust opened in Tehran on Monday.

Hamshahri, an Iranian newspaper said it "wanted to test the West's tolerance for drawings about the Nazi killing of 6 million Jews in World War II."

My guess is that Western reaction will not include rioting and burning of embassies.

Only about 50 people attended the opening, which hopefully means the Iranian people do not want any part of this.

www.foxnews.com...

Edit to add link.

[edit on 14-8-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Do you have any of those cartoons?

I'm sure that Israël will complain about that and use this to demonize AGAIN Iran as a racist and an anti-semite when he's against zionism. Zionism is racist, elitist and violent. They are extremists. They deserve to die as evangical extremists as muslims extremists. All extremists deserves to go in jail or die.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, bad taste is not a crime.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Source?

The only thing i could find relating to this is a CBS article from the 7th of Feb. this year.

A prominent Iranian newspaper says it is going to hold a competition for cartoons on the Holocaust to test whether the West will apply the principle of freedom of expression to the Nazi genocide against Jews as it did to the caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

www.cbsnews.com...

Im sure that topic was coverd on ATS during Feb. So what is your agenda posting about this news now? In the MD conflict forum?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Well its a start for them to actually laugh at them selves as everything is so damn depressingly serious that makes people want to kill them selves and others. So yeah good if they allow the cartoons can we the West continue our freedoms too?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I forgot to add the link in the opening post; here it is again:

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
Well its a start for them to actually laugh at them selves as everything is so damn depressingly serious that makes people want to kill them selves and others. So yeah good if they allow the cartoons can we the West continue our freedoms too?

They will never take those freedoms away from us, no matter how hard they try. The protest from the west will include some denouncement, but there will be no rioting as there was with the Muhammed cartoons.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wang
Im sure that topic was coverd on ATS during Feb. So what is your agenda posting about this news now? In the MD conflict forum?

This is the actual event taking place; that's the difference.

Why must I have an agenda? It is a news story.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Now as I remember, Musliums went ape when a cartoon was drawn of their religious person-they murdered/raped/burned/stole............

They feel sooooo strongly about that, yet theu have holecost cartoons on display.

Should the Jewish people in Iran riot/burn buildings/cars/ grag rape muslium women/steal/murder-they should , but they are not muslium extremist animals

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   

They will never take those freedoms away from us, no matter how hard they try.
No you're right, Bush is doing their job, taking our freedoms away from us. If you really think they want our freedom taken away from us, you believe Bush propaganda? Seriously, if you're aware of all the rights we have lost, you should know that Bush Co. is a much bigger threat to the american way of life for the damage he already done to it and the damage he will do. Believing that terrorists want our freedom to be taken away is just non-sense.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Iran can do those cartoons if they want it will only make them look worse.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
No you're right, Bush is doing their job, taking our freedoms away from us. If you really think they want our freedom taken away from us, you believe Bush propaganda?
:
Believing that terrorists want our freedom to be taken away is just non-sense.

Yes, you're right. Bush is the reason that we had such a wet spring here, or that Iran didn't win the World Cup. Thanks for reminding us.

Sorta reminds you of the woman-beating hippie in the movie Forrest Gump, when he said "Damned Nixon!", doesn't it?

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I personally find these cartoons disguisting, however, I do live in a democratic country and am a champion of our democratic principles. That's why the cartoons don't really bother me, I only question myself what they are actually trying to achieve with it. If they think I'm going to burn Iranian flags they are wrong

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
very bad tase, and a very stupid move by the Iranians who set it up. It hardly helps their cause. Rest assured jews won't be burning embassies etc. They'll nuke Iran instead

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Lol, uhm, where are you from Vitchilo? I live in Florida in these United States. I am as free as free can get lol. Infact, I am sitting here in my underwear drinking a cold beer and looking at your post. The only freedom ever taken from me is by the Wife when she bitches that the yard needs mowed when I'm trying to watch sports on the weekends. Try not to take yourself so seriously lol. Why don't you get up and go down to the local market and get a six pack of some good beer. I bet that "Mean ol'e Bush" won't do anything to stop you niether. Lol, too funny

Originally posted by Vitchilo

They will never take those freedoms away from us, no matter how hard they try.
No you're right, Bush is doing their job, taking our freedoms away from us. If you really think they want our freedom taken away from us, you believe Bush propaganda? Seriously, if you're aware of all the rights we have lost, you should know that Bush Co. is a much bigger threat to the american way of life for the damage he already done to it and the damage he will do. Believing that terrorists want our freedom to be taken away is just non-sense.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I wonder IF the Jews actually did demonstrate (not to the extent of the Muslim demonstrations), would the media damn them do you think?

As in a Jewish outburst is totally unacceptable- whereas a Muslim one is perfectly understandable of their nature?

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
I wonder IF the Jews actually did demonstrate (not to the extent of the Muslim demonstrations), would the media damn them do you think?

As in a Jewish outburst is totally unacceptable- whereas a Muslim one is perfectly understandable of their nature?

yes I guess your right, the media is afterall controlled by jews...

not to the same extent is the key factor here. Of course it will anger Jews, it angers me and im not a jew.

making fun of an event that killed thousands of jews (and gypsies etc) is very different to depicting Mohammed with a bomb on his head. It also wasn't Jews who did the Danish cartoons, if I'm not mistaken?

[edit on 15-8-2006 by Peyres]

[edit on 15-8-2006 by Peyres]

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
here's a hypothetical

let's say that you were once the most highly respected scientist in your field, a professor at a prestigous university, and a philanthropist. you had a large house and a nice familly.

then someone insulted your religion on the street, but you shurgged it off.

then let's say a group of people stole your scientific work, took part of your house, wrecked the rest of it, bankrupted you, and killed a few of your children.

then the same group of people who just finished ruining your life insulted your religion...

----------------

the point is, that everything is about context.

religion is one of the few things that muslims in the middle east have left.
the west is FAR better off, and therefore less touchy about religion.

this is about situations, not religions.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

this is about situations, not religions.

Are you saying that Iran is justified in this situation? That it's ok for Iran to draw cartoons because they are Muslim, but not anyone else? Are you Muslim?

It's about hypocrisy. Muslim governments expect the world to cater to their desires and needs. They're all about my way or the highway.

....hypocrisy

[edit on 15/8/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
here's a hypothetical

let's say that you were once the most highly respected scientist in your field, a professor at a prestigous university, and a philanthropist. you had a large house and a nice familly.

then someone insulted your religion on the street, but you shurgged it off.

then let's say a group of people stole your scientific work, took part of your house, wrecked the rest of it, bankrupted you, and killed a few of your children.

then the same group of people who just finished ruining your life insulted your religion...

Then I'd say religion was the least of my problems.

And you analogy fails, since Iran has much more than religion. Oil money, for example.

And the "situation" is, they have enough to fund a proxy army (Hezbollah terorists) and to threaten the world with their nuclear ambitions.

What purpose does it serve to hold this exhibit?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join