It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Storm- Calgary, Alberta

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
DSO

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Last night we experenced some of the most intesne lightning we have ever seen in calgary. There were several flashes per minute, Many were close.

There was one strike off to the west that flashed 5 times on the same spot, then a shower of what seemed to be sparks fell from the path of the bolt. Two others farther away were followed by bright green flashes that light up the sky (i'm assuming these were transformers blowing). However later on in the storm the bolts had green flashes at the clound level and at the same time of the bolt.

One of the strangest and best lightning storms i've ever seen.

-DSO

[edit on 10-8-2006 by DSO]

[edit on 10-8-2006 by DSO]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Yeah that was pretty cool to watch but my kids were pretty scared. I wonder if storms like that are normal for places like Tampa.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Cool! Sounds War of the Worldsy

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Maybe the green bolts were something like a super charged lightning bot. I am saying that really hot stuff, like plasma, can be green. Who knows

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
i LIVED IN A REALLY SMALL TOWN ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO IN New Mexico and I experienced the smale thing but we didnt have any transformers to blow up.. It was a very intense feeling and something that I almost wouldnt want to experience again.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Yeah, that was just a reminder of how the Oilers rock the flames every year, nothing new really. But on a serious note, here in Edmonton, my freinds house shook on it's foundation from thunder one morning, it was pretty intense.

Luxifero

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Yeah that was pretty cool to watch but my kids were pretty scared. I wonder if storms like that are normal for places like Tampa.

Florida is the lightning capital of the United States.
They have more lightning strikes daily than some of the country gets yearly. And some of them are pretty intense. I've heard of people there being hit by lightning from a storm 20 miles away.

Edit to change "daily" to "yearly"

[edit on 8/10/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luxifero
Yeah, that was just a reminder of how the Oilers rock the flames every year

I took it as a reminder of when the Flames lost the cup to Tampa by one game in 2004. Kinda like the Oilers in '06 eh?

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Florida is the lightning capital of the United States.

Exactly why I made the reference.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

yes they are, i live in tampa and about 4 nights ago.. the sky was just lighting up, almsot like heat lightning and than all of the sudden, lightning strikes everywhere, kind of scary if you get caught driving in it, but it was pretty bad, lol. And btw- i was at that game 7 when TB put the finisher, good game indeed

DSO

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
One thing i'm wondering is if this was caused by all the smoke in the atmosphere from the fires in BC and Washington. It would make sense that the added particulate matter in the atmosphere could add to the charge and cause more lightning. But causing the green flashes, i'm not sure.

Oh and we had another storm this evening with not as much lightning, nor was it as intense, but still there was more lightning then were used to here. Couldn't see any colours though. (last nights storm happend at night, while this was was while the sun was still up)

Sounds like red deer (north of calgary) and high River (south of the city) got pownded though.

These storms are continuing the pattern of strange weather we have been seeing here for the past year and a half. Anyone else notice this?

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
We got the end of that light show it seems (in saskatchewan)

Right now the weather is getting pretty bad in places. Alot of hail in spots.

Nothing here... yet.

I love a good lightning show BTW.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I am getting it all, here in GA. Lighning, rain, hail, and even a few tornados here and there. It is way beyond normal weather because first of all, we never get this type of weather during this time of year. We are supposed to have a lot drought and now we have a lot of water. Second of all, I have never seen it get as bad as this and I have lived here for 8 years. What the heck happening up there in those clouds?

DSO

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Here are a few links to yesterday's storm damage in red deer.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

We are expecting more thunderstorms today and tomorrow. Hopefully its another good show without anyone getting hurt.

[edit on 11-8-2006 by DSO]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Im getting pretty bad weather right now.... there were tornado warnings out in parts of the province of saskatchewan.

Estevan area looked like it was going to get destroyed.

Some hail.... pretty bad rain for me.

DSO

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I heard about those storms in sask. I think they are all part of the front that went through Alberta during the week.

It looks like there are a few storms building up here due to daytime heating. Watch for updates.

Oh a word of caution, Don't post while a storm is happening. A guy in Calgary got a big shock when lightning hit his house and he was on the computer. Still in hospital I think.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DSO

Oh a word of caution, Don't post while a storm is happening. A guy in Calgary got a big shock when lightning hit his house and he was on the computer. Still in hospital I think.

Good thing my mouse and keyboard are wireless

Found a little info on that story BTW.

calgary.ctv.ca...

Posted at Friday, August 11, 2006 10:13 AM
A spectacular storm rolled through Calgary Wednesday night.

The light show was accompanied by loud thunder and strong winds.

The lightning sparked at least two house fires.

A small fire started on the roof of a home on Sienna Park Terrace N.W. after it was hit.

The man living there was shocked while working at his computer when his home was struck.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I think we got some of that strange weather here too, near the Sask. MB border to the west. The ominous huge black weather front moved in around 3 or 4 pm friday central time. It looked like tornado clouds, greenish and very dark. It was pitch black outside which was freaky. Wierdest storm I'd ever come across in this area.

DSO

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It would be cool if we could get some photos of these storms on here, just to compare with other storms and storms in other areas of the world.

Also perhaps recording the radar images, size of hail, amount of rain, descripition and amount of lightning, and if possible the windspeeds of the storm when it happens, just so we can compare what is happening and try to see if this is unusual or if there is a pattern to these storms.

However don't take any stupid risks such as running outside in the middle of the strom holding a metal rod or anything. Stay safe and use common sense.

Anyways its good to here about any unusual storm no matter how little or how much information you can provide, keep the reports coming.

DSO

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Looks like conditions are favorable for a repeat of the storm. Warm air, Cold front coming through, and lots of smoke in the atmosphere still. We'll see later on today if anything decides to materialize though.

DSO

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Sorry for not responding sooner. Here on the west side of Calgary we only got a bit of rain, but i guess other parts of the city got hit hard. From waht i hear, the lightining was jsut as intense as the other storm and caused just as much damage.

My dad was off in southern alberta fishing and he told me that aanother storm hit him there and it was jsut as bad as the one that hit calgary about a week ago. What is going on?

I still stand by my theory that the smoke in the atmoshpere has something to do with it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join