It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I Had an Abortion' Magazine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
www.cnsnews.com.../Culture/archive/200608/CUL20060801a.html

A new magazine will be coming out soon. It's called 'I had an abortion' magazine.

Those who want this magazine say it is a support system for women who had
abortions. They can be connected with others who have had them. It can help
them not feel guilt, etc.

Those against this magazine say that abortion is a private matter and that this is
exploiting women who have had a traumatic and personal procedure. There are
also those against it who say the women who have had abortions SHOULD feel
guilty about killing their children and to mask those feelings causes unhealthy
mental issues later.

Me? I think it's stupid. If abortion isn't wrong then there is nothing to feel guilty
about and there shouldn't be a need for an invasive 'in-your-face' magazine about
something so personal. But hey, this is America and people can do what they
want.

Those who are putting this magazine out are calling upon all the millions upon
millions of women to subscribe and support it. This is definately political ...
millions and millions subscribing will receive left wing political information and
indoctrination. None of which will be balanced with the negative effects abortion
has on a woman's body. It is also commercial ... those putting out the magazine
are using guilt to get subscription numbers up. 'hey .. subscribe and keep
abortions (which you had) legal, etc. etc. etc.' I'm sure they'll make a bunch of
money off this push upon women who have had abortions.

That's the American way .. make money whenever and whereever you can

even off women and families who have had this difficult experience.

Read more here -
www.cnsnews.com.../Culture/archive/200608/CUL20060801a.html

[edit on 8/1/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I've got to tell you... most people seem so stuck on making sure they have thier choice.
They say it isn't wrong, isn't killing or imoral at all. But when they do it they suddenly need a support group? Come on.

It seems to me that if even 'they' grow a conscious after the fact, that should be enough for them to figure out it 'just might' be wrong.

I believe in choice. And if I choose not to have a baby - guess what? I won't get pregnant! What a noval idea.

Now, those who have been FORCED by a parent or controling husband - even a medical choice that had to be made --- for those people, yeah - we need a support group. For those who decided to kill their child - let them suffer their consequence. That's natures way of trying to teach us, and maybe they won't do it again.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Me? I think it's stupid. If abortion isn't wrong then there is nothing to feel guilty about.

I'm with ya on that one

I mean really, if they feel guilty AFTER the abortion, when there is nothing to feel guilty about becuase its the womans decision, they probably shouldn't have had it in the first place.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I do not know any women that have had an abortion that didn't find it very difficult emotionally. It's not something one does lightly, not ever. I've counseled many, many women going through an abortion and it was traumatic for everyone of them. There are those in society who want women to feel guilty because they believe abortion is wrong. A young woman can easily be made to feel guilty even if they didn't feel it to begin with. Trying to run the gauntlet to gain entry when you go to an abortion clinic is traumatizing in itself and very shame-inducing as well as guilt-inducing.

Many clinics simply do not have the funding to give counseling to women or their families, who have undergone an abortion. Believe me, anyone who has one, needs some kind of counseling, even if it's only a few sessions.

I think a supportive magazine is a good thing. Who says it's "in your face"? A person can choose whether or not to subscribe. And who says anyone will be receiving "left wing political information and indoctrination."? It's to be supportive of women, which means that they will give information, period. Just because you don't agree, doesn't make it "indoctrination", just another viewpoint. Besides, even if it did, it would help to balance the information women receive from the right-wing, which really IS in your face every time you watch the news, etc. Also, who says women won't be able to read the information and decide for themselves what's right? Are you assuming women simply aren't that smart?

After reading some of the views here, I truly can understand why a woman needs support after an abortion, she's got alot of people quite willing to tell her that she murdered her own baby or wanting/trying to make her feel guilty and ashamed. A woman has an abortion mostly because she loves her baby to much to bring it into a world where it will not be loved, will live in poverty, etc. It's a sacrifice.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I agree, the magazine is a good thing to have, perhaps to find facts and share painful memories.

We have in this country all kind of support groups that even I have benefited from after my last two surgeries.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Firstly, I totally agree with forestlady. everything she said. No need to type it all out again. Thank you, forestlady.

Then I'd like to say that being pro-choice doesn't necessarily equate to thinking abortion is not 'wrong'. Being pro-choice is simply not making the judgment for other people. I know whether or not I think abortion is wrong, but I also understand that it's none of my business to make that very personal moral judgment for another person.

And just because someone feels guilty about something doesn't mean they think it's wrong. I recently was involved in convincing someone NOT to loan money to her family member. She felt TERRIBLY guilty, but knew she was doing the RIGHT thing by refusing to loan the money. So we can feel guilty, even when we make the right choice.

These decisions are sometimes more complex than right/wrong ... innocent/guilty. I know a woman who had an abortion and felt terribly guilty, but would do it the same way all over again, because it was the right thing to do.

I totally support the availability of this magazine for those who want it.

top topics

join