It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing Crisis in Mexico

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Mexico leftists take city center in vote protest

Thousands of leftist protesters paralyzed the Mexican capital's business district on Monday to demand a vote recount in a presidential election they say was stolen from their candidate.

Launching a campaign of civil disobedience that raises the stakes in Mexico's political crisis, supporters of Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador seized control overnight of a six-mile (10-km) stretch of the capital's elegant Reforma boulevard and the imposing Zocalo square.

The protest caused chaos on Monday, with huge traffic jams snarling main streets in an already congested city.

More...

Barely a peep in the MSM... Sure, I understand it's all about the Middle East right now, but I also find it surprising our capacity to ignore an event of this size happening right at our southern border...

Stay tuned... I'm certain there will be more to follow...

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I find this very scary in the fact that if more and more Mexicans feel that they are being "politically repressed" they could start asking for the US to help "give them back their rights".

Either that or would invigorate them more to try to either escape to the border or ask for asylum at the US (or another nation's) embassy.

I also have to wonder if this keeps going, could we see a coup d'tat in the works?

[edit on 7/31/2006 by Sir Solomon]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
True, the MSM doesn't have a good track record investigating rigged elections.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
They just had to make illegal elections as they did in 2000 and 2004 in USA. People in the USA should have did the same thing as mexicans are doing right now.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It is not that big event, Sir Solomon you are exaggerating.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Barely a peep in the MSM

?
I have seen in it most newspapers and your own citation is ABC.

Its difficult to say a possible wwiii scenario is less important and pressing than a disputed election in mexico.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeratul
It is not that big event, Sir Solomon you are exaggerating.

Maybe I am, but you do have to admit that if there had been protests in the US back in 2000 (or 2004) on this scale, people would be frightened elsewhere in the world at what could happen.

I'm just worried is all. If more and more people find that in their opinion the elections were rigged, and there isn't anything that can be done to prove they were, in fact, valid elections, they will continuously becmoe more restless.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
According to the UPI, the number is not in the "thousands" but "...more than a MILLION protesters..."

Surely that deserves some TV air time?

Election protests paralyze Mexico City

More than a million protesters clogged the streets of the Mexican capital Monday, pledging to remain until an electoral recount.

Led by losing presidential candidate Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, the estimated 1.5 million kept Mexico City at a relative standstill for the second day in a row, El Universal reported online.

Addressing those on hand, Lopez Obrador told his supporters they must "defend democracy" and force the recognition of "my triumph as president."

More...

Not that big of an event, eh?

[edit on 31-7-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
I find this very scary in the fact that if more and more Mexicans feel that they are being "politically repressed" they could start asking for the US to help "give them back their rights".

Either that or would invigorate them more to try to either escape to the border or ask for asylum at the US (or another nation's) embassy.

I also have to wonder if this keeps going, could we see a coup d'tat in the works?

[edit on 7/31/2006 by Sir Solomon]

I think you have things mixed up. These people are protesting against a coup d'état.

Maybe you should post on this forum instead www.libertynewsforum.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is an odd one:

Women Seize TV Station in Oaxaca, Mexico

About 500 women banging spoons against pots and pans seized a state-run television station and broadcast a homemade video Wednesday that showed police kicking protesters out of Oaxaca's main square last month.

The women took control of Oaxaca's Channel 9 station Tuesday and held employees for about six hours before releasing them. It was unclear how long the siege would last and police were nowhere to be seen near the station Wednesday.

The standoff is the latest by demonstrators who accuse Gov. Ulises Ruiz of rigging his 2004 election victory and violently repressing opposition groups.

More...

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Hmm...

Women are finally taking over the world. *sigh* Well, me and my friends wondered when they would realize they could have all the power if they just realized what power they really hold over men.

*looks around...sees women in the back holding large knives* Um....anyway...

What are they going to do with the TV station I wonder? Let's hope that they don't argue for all television to be consumed with lovey dovey shows...
*women at back step forward* Um...unless they are made with men...being....perfect...by woman's defintion *they step back* PHEW!

Ok, seriously. I really don't like the fact that there wasn't a policeman to be seen:

It was unclear how long the siege would last and police were nowhere to be seen near the station Wednesday.

You can tell that things are not improving when the police see a seige, and don't do anything on it. *sigh*

Its good that they released the station, but I do wonder if there won't be worse things down the road.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Nygdan
Its difficult to say a possible wwiii scenario is less important and pressing than a disputed election in mexico.

When you put it like that, it doesn't sound important. But instead of considering it as just a disputed election, what if we look at it as an execution of democracy?

Anyway, does anyone here know the details of the supposed rigging?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Mexico leftist claims election recount proves fraud

Mexico's opposition leader said on Friday a partial recount of votes from the presidential election he narrowly lost has shown so many errors that the top electoral court will have to declare him president-elect...

Lopez Obrador's supporters have crippled central Mexico City for the past 12 days by setting up camps in the Zocalo and on the main boulevard that runs through its business district.

Their campaign also has included blockading the stock market building, the headquarters of international banks and government offices, as well as throwing open highway toll gates. They blocked access to Mexico's main tax office on Friday.

More...

[edit on 11-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This is fairly typical of the far left. When they can't win elections they attempt to seize power by force. I guess they just weren't as smart as Hugo Chavez in Venezuela, who cleverly managed to get his rigged voting machines in place for his reelection campaign. The thing to look here are the exit polls. If they differ strongly from the results (as they did in our 2004 election and in the Chavez election), one must suspect tampering.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Maybe I am, but you do have to admit that if there had been protests in the US back in 2000 (or 2004) on this scale, people would be frightened elsewhere in the world at what could happen.

It's been 6 years,but wasnt there somewhat of a protest in 2000 when bush did his inaugural walk to the white house? He couldnt get out of the limo to do the walk because ppl were throwing eggs at the car.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
All the world is in chaos.

What will happen next is the consolidation of chaos to bring about a terrible event.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
ahhh...

forget it.

[edit on 12-8-2006 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
All the world in chaos ?
When has it not been.

We are still here and thats the only thing that matters.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
This is fairly typical of the far left. When they can't win elections they attempt to seize power by force. I guess they just weren't as smart as Hugo Chavez in Venezuela, who cleverly managed to get his rigged voting machines in place for his reelection campaign. The thing to look here are the exit polls. If they differ strongly from the results (as they did in our 2004 election and in the Chavez election), one must suspect tampering.

Kinda like the 2000 2002 and the 2004 elections here in the USA...
So do tell why exit polls are more effective in Venesuala and Mexico, but not here in the good ole USA??
Are you even aware that Gore in 2000 won according to exit polls as did Kerry in 2004. But I agree with you if the votes don't come close to the exit polls there should be a full recount

[edit on 12-8-2006 by LDragonFire]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join