It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel to Suspend Lebanon Airstrikes For 48 Hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
An official with the US State Department just announced that Israel has agreed to a US request to suspend it's air campaign for 48 hours. They have also agreed to a 24 hour period where residents of Southern Lebanon can evacuate the area.

www.msnbc.msn.com
JERUSALEM - Israel has agreed to suspend its aerial bombardment of southern Lebanon for 48 hours, starting immediately, to allow for an investigation into Sunday’s bombing that killed up to 60 people, a U.S. State Department official said on Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Israel's attack on Quana has finally forced the US's hand here. While much of the US population reflexively supports Israel, it seems to me the civilian casualties in the conflict have become obvious and numerous enough that the Administration realized it was taking a major political risk if it didn't lean on the Israelis to at least temporarily suspend their campaign.

As to whether this is the beginning of the end of this flare up or just a pause, I have my doubts. With Hezbollah's rocket barrage on northern Israel seemingly unhindered, and Israeli ground operations in Southern Lebanon seemingly stalled, it's hard to see how Israel can feel satisfied with it's campaign against Hezbollah so far.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
It always seems that it takes a bloodbath to force a cease fire. The U.S. has lost any credibility it might have still had left over this, and I wonder whether Israel will strat back up after 48 hours. 10 years ago they bombed a refugee camp in the same area killing over 100 people...it took that bloodshed to stop that 'military action" too.

"Lord what fools these mortals be." Puck from Midsummer nights dream W. Shakespear

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
If they suspend Air raids, we might see increases in Artillery and Ground troop activities in the area. Most likely IDF is moving for a "final" push to create the buffer zone...

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
They already have, the Hezbollah have carried out an attack on a tank wounding three Israeli soldiers, in response Israel has again started air strikes on the ground targets responsable for the attacks. just minutes ago.......

[edit on 31-7-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well I'm not convinced that the slowdown in Israeli airstrikes has been completely fruitless.

After over 100 rockets yesterday, none were fired at Northern Israel today by Hezbollah. It seems to me someone is trying to send a signal.

Unfortunately I don't think the Israelis are interested in listening.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
According to FOX the Israeli government has decided to resume and expand all military actions against Hezbollah after the 48 hr. cease fire ends until a credible international force takes their place.

This is spiraling out of control...

[edit on 7/31/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Well that's a gentle way of putting it, in reality Israeli is intentionally pushing things out of control, and the US Government is unwilling to rein them in.

I think the worst is true, and the people in charge of Israel now believe that if they don't kill off all their opponents in the region, they're doomed. And the US is going to sit by and do nothing as the Arab death toll climbs into the thousands, and then the millions.

[edit on 7/31/06 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
What do you mean intentionally pushing things out of control?

Israel has effectively declared war on Lebanon, from the start of the conflict. Thats alraedy 'out of control', they don't need to 'push it' or anything like that. Lebanon and Israel are at war.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
As far as I am aware there has been no formal declaration of war.

And Israel has chosen to respond to a limited (but certainly provocative) set of actions by Hezbollah with a major escalation. Not only that, but they've rejected calls for a ceasefire, and abandoned their promise of a 48 hour bombing halt after only a few hours - despite the fact that Hezbollah apparently ceased it's rocket attacks.

The Israelis claim that they're not going to stop until Hezbollah is destroyed. If the United States, the most powerful nation on the planet, can't "destroy" the Iraq insurgency after three years, how is tiny Israel going to destroy Hezbollah, a much larger and more capable force, in only a few weeks?

There is only one way: by completely removing the Shiite population of Southern Lebanon. Which would require one of the greatest massacres in modern history.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Lebanon and Israel are not at war, since Lebanese army is sitting down in their bases sucking their thumbs...

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Maybe they could try the Fallujah approach...

Evacuate the city and everyone left is there to fight. That way at least there wont be anymore civilian casualties.

It wouldnt be cool to have to leave your house but if the alternative is a 500lbs bomb landing on your house I think I would consider it.

If Israel forms a large enough army they could screen people leaving too. And when the war is over, screen the people on the way back in aswell.

It would be a huge operation but how else do you fight against a threat that hides amongst the gen-pop.

At least in WW1 & 2 there were clearly defined enemy targets that wore uniforms and occupied towns etc...not so in present day. Its like looking for a needle in a stack of needles.

top topics

join