It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush signs The Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
President Bush today signed a bill that would protect a homeowner's right to display the American flag, which sometimes clashes with homeowner associations' wishes. Some associations actually prohibit the flying of the flag because they fear that it would adversely affect home values.

By Clifford G. Cumber
News-Post Staff
WASHINGTON -- President Bush on Tuesday signed Rep. Roscoe Bartlett's bill to protect homeowners' rights to fly the American flag, sometimes against their homeowner association's wishes.
Mr. Bartlett, a Republican representing Western Maryland, said he was shocked to learn from constituent and flag dealer, Hugh Warner, that some homeowner associations and condos prevented the flying of the flag.

The Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005 is effective immediately. It was signed at the White House in a private ceremony with the president, he said.
www.fredericknewspost.com...

What's even more interesting is that this bill is part of a larger package of bills called the "American Values Agenda", which includes such other items such as protections for the public display of religion, tax relief for families, prohibition of cloning and defining marriage as between one man and one woman.

I can say that I am in favor of a bill that would allow the public display of religion, since the way it is today, it is applied very unevenly. For example, nativity scenes are prohibited on public property, while the star and crescent are tolerated. Makes no sense to me.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Values? What kind of values promote invading a sovereign nation, occupying it under false pretenses?

This values agenda is a joke. Just like those who promote it.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I don't see how any public association can prevent the expression of free speech in general, let alone specifically on a person's private property. Home associations can do things like fine you for having too many garbage pails, or not mowing your lawn, fine. But displaying a flag? I mean, are they honestly expecting, say, a muslim family to not fly an islamic flag, because property values wil go down? Thats outrageous.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
There absolutely are places like that. Very serious in their ants marching appearances and clone codes. Never heard of not allowing Old Glory to fly, though.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I own a condo in an asociation where the only permissible flag to fly is the American flag.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I personally get annoyed when people from other countries come to America and put up flags from those countries and are so patriotic for that country, but I don't think anyone should prohibit it. I mean, if I went to live in England, I wouldn't be waving an American flag, I just find it disrespectful. If you are in that country, then that is it, no need to show how patriotic you are for other countries.

Now the definition of marriage-bs
banning cloning-bs
public display of religion-bs

blaaa

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   
ummm

i have to say

if they found out that i burn last years flag before putting up a new one on the 4th of july then i'm screwed

i perform a bit of a ritual that is about renewal and hope, and also conforms with the only way to propery dispose of a flag which is out of comission, and now i'll be arrested.

poo

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Why would you be screwed? It seems like you are one of the few that does things the right way, and people could learn a lesson from that.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I think that any reasonable person would have to ask questions of there leaders when they are more concerned about dealing with the likes of flag flying then dealing with real life problems such as rising petrol costs.

Things like this do explain why there was no plan or thought put into post war Iraq the current crop of US leaders were more concerned with stopping progress and defining what marriage is.

Governments should let societys decide society's decide what is right and wrong If someone wants three wives , marry a goat or marry a person of the same sex let them just as long as I dont have to take any of those things onboard. One human wife would be more then enough for me.

[edit on 28-7-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'd like to comment on the poster who raised the issue of flying a flag in a foreign country.

The reason the USA is so cool is b/c you can parade whatever flag from wherever you hail from. Odds are, there's a deep US community of those people. Deeply engrained in our society. Like the Puerto Ricans. I see no problem with them driving around flying their flags.. Its just where they came from. America is all about people who came from somewhere else.... just like our big cities.
If I was in another country, I might flash my flag, but I would never disrespect them or theirs.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
ummm

i have to say

if they found out that i burn last years flag before putting up a new one on the 4th of july then i'm screwed

i perform a bit of a ritual that is about renewal and hope, and also conforms with the only way to propery dispose of a flag which is out of comission, and now i'll be arrested.

poo

As long as you followed ceremony, you shouldn't be in any danger. And if someone tries to arrest you on it, tell them the procedure you used was the proper one.

But just in case, normally your local American Legion post does the ceremony several times during the year. At least my hometown post did. I did some quick research, and it isn't just American Legion that can do the service.

As for the rest of the stuff in this "Agenda" (more like "to do" or "to ram down the People's throat" list).....

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I'd like to comment on the poster who raised the issue of flying a flag in a foreign country.

The reason the USA is so cool is b/c you can parade whatever flag from wherever you hail from. Odds are, there's a deep US community of those people. Deeply engrained in our society. Like the Puerto Ricans. I see no problem with them driving around flying their flags.. Its just where they came from. America is all about people who came from somewhere else.... just like our big cities.
If I was in another country, I might flash my flag, but I would never disrespect them or theirs.

If they like their flag and are so patriotic for their country, why would they move to America? When you move to a country and become a citizen, you are supposed to assimilate into its culture. It is like the Mexicans who were protesting and waving Mexican flags and signs in Spanish, I mean they can do it, but it hurts their cause.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Do you feel that way about Irish Americans? We're very proud of our heritage, too. Have you ever noticed all the St. Paddy's day celebrations here in the USA?

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Do you feel that way about Irish Americans? We're very proud of our heritage, too. Have you ever noticed all the St. Paddy's day celebrations here in the USA?

St. Patrick day celebrations are about leperchauns, etc. I don't know any Irish American who celebrates it because of pride for Ireland. In any case, yes, if I see people with Italian flags or Irish flags on their houses, then it is the same exact deal with me.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm glad he signed it. I'm sick of hearing stories about homeowners not allowed to display the flag in their hood.

[edit on 9-8-2006 by Brownpower]

top topics

join