It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death of the Amazon Rainforest Could End the World...And It Might Be Happening Now!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Amazon rainforest 'could become a desert': And that could speed up global warming with 'incalculable consequences', says alarming new research

The vast Amazon rainforest is on the brink of being turned into desert, with catastrophic consequences for the world's climate, alarming research suggests. And the process, which would be irreversible, could begin as early as next year.

Studies by the blue-chip Woods Hole Research Centre, carried out in Amazonia, have concluded that the forest cannot withstand more than two consecutive years of drought without breaking down.

Scientists say that this would spread drought into the northern hemisphere, including Britain, and could massively accelerate global warming with incalculable consequences, spinning out of control, a process that might end in the world becoming uninhabitable.

More...

Let's hope they are wrong...

And while were at it, let's hope these are wrong too!

Earth faces 'catastrophic loss of species'

Greenland Ice Melt: See if this don't scare you!

See also:

Major drought in Amazon rainforest

[edit on 23-7-2006 by loam]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
As usual, Loam, good find. The Amazon used to supply 1/5 of the world's oxygen back in the 60's or so. Last I heard, which was in 1980, that it then supplied only 1/6 of the world's oxygen. I dont know what it is now, but I'm sure it's alot less then 1/6 at this point.

I was in the Amazon, spent a month in the jungle back in 1979. It was unbelievably beautiful and magickal. The place where I was now has a major highway running through it.
It makes me heartsick to think about it, I don't believe I'll ever go back to Brasil again, it would be too painful to see what has happened to that wondrous jungle.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
True, when the news went out about the amazon state (Amazonia) was facing this kind of problem I was really shocked.
It's another thing that we need to keep watching, before it's too late.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tunin
It's another thing that we need to keep watching, before it's too late.

Unfortunately, twelve months is not much time...

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Just curious...

When did they take the word "jungle" and turn it into rainforest?

Yes, "rainforest" sounds so nice and cuddly, but would you care or take the time to "save the jungle"? I doubt it.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Just curious...

When did they take the word "jungle" and turn it into rainforest?

Yes, "rainforest" sounds so nice and cuddly, but would you care or take the time to "save the jungle"? I doubt it.

What are you talking about? jungle, rainforest who cares it needs to be saved no matter if you call it a jungle? I would bet most people would not differ between the name? The UN (not that I have much faith in the UN) should declare the Amazon Rainforest a international nature reserve, and ban any nation from destroying it or exploiting it, and protecting the indian natives inside.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Stop bitching and do something about it. Save up a hundred grand a buy a bunch of virgin rainforrest. If enough people do the same, then we would not have to worry as much.

My buddy did the same thing in northern brazil, I'm thinking of doing it as well. I personally don't buy into the alarmist tripe because, usually, they are really taken out of context from the research they based their paper on. Point is, find me the paper!

Here is a success story to embolden you to actually DO something(not targetting this at anyone, it's a blanket statement aimed at the Armchair Enviros).

www.friendsofgaviotas.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Stop bitching and do something about it. Save up a hundred grand a buy a bunch of virgin rainforrest. If enough people do the same, then we would not have to worry as much.

Sardion2000, I think you missed the point. This article is not about clear cutting, but the dramatic impact of drought. THAT now appears to be the issue that makes the rest moot...

Originally posted by sardion2000
I personally don't buy into the alarmist tripe because, usually, they are really taken out of context from the research they based their paper on. Point is, find me the paper!

Done.

Borken, W., K. Savage, E.A. Davidson, and S. Trumbore. 2006. Effects of experimental drought on soil respiration and radiocarbon efflux from a temperate forest soil. Global Change Biology 12:177-193.

[edit on 23-7-2006 by loam]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
duh, the rainforest is the earths lungs. funny how mr. gore didnt talk about that in his movie.

anyway, i totally agree. we need to stop messing with the rainforest. its something completely in our control and yet we are so ignorant we just keep cutting away.

Digitalgrl

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Two years of drought would devistate just about any region of the world.
What is so special about Brazil? They did not even win the world cup. I think they lost to France!

Most of these jungles belong to Brazil, let themn do what they need to develop their economy. As if Brzil is the only country in the world chopping trees to make room for development.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Mr. Al Gore, inventor of the internet, in his expertise about our warming earth, doesn't know about this? OMG, someone had better inform him so that he may realign earth's axis with his next invention.

Its been proven on talk radio.....65% of this "global warming" which has somehow started to cause droughts in Brazil are emitted from Al Gore's inability to just shut up.

Enough about Al Gore. If Brazil was smart, they'd do everything they could to hold on to their only real asset. I'm not sure what Brazil exports, but I bet it comes from the Amazon River basin or whatever you call it!

It's Brazil's choice on what they do with it.....and a point brought up in this thread just prior, its not like Brazil is the only country chopping down trees!

I doubt the entire jungle in Brazil being mowed down will end the world; it would probably just make man's and many other species of life on it a little harder!

[edit on 27-7-2006 by CreeWolf]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Im sorry but nowwhere does it say that we have 1 year left

Please read the real Report here.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Fett Pinkus,
So nice to have you aboard the "Humanitarin social life" (NOT) are you that ignorant to compare thing's of such nature?
Get real,

mod edit to remove personal insult from post

from the T&C
You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner

[edit on 30-7-2006 by pantha]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
Fett Pinkus,
So nice to have you aboard the "Humanitarin social life" (NOT) are you that ignorant to compare thing's of such nature?

Hi Allred its nice that you took the time to read the link i posted about the Real report from the "actuall scientists" who conducted the study.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Here, you tell me. Apparently I am not good enough for an "Opinion."

Source and "TRUE" story:

yosemite.epa.gov...

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Sorry i don not see the link between the EPA site you just posted and what i did.Is this the same EPA that wants to dump nerve gas into the river ?

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
as far as I am concerned, "We live in the same Freaking world? It isn't up to just us, it is up too our Government? Not?"

The previous post i had made was for the benefit of "Totalierism" and the MOD'S didn't like it either.

Had enough, don't like a lot I see here, probably be gone for a while.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nogirt
Two years of drought would devistate just about any region of the world.
What is so special about Brazil? They did not even win the world cup. I think they lost to France!

Most of these jungles belong to Brazil, let themn do what they need to develop their economy. As if Brzil is the only country in the world chopping trees to make room for development.

I'm sorry but that's just lame and I have to deny ignorance. If you read my post above, Brazil used to supply ONE FIFTH of the world's oxygen. THe Amazon is indeed the lungs of the world. Further, it helps keep the carbon dioxide level down. Obviously you have no idea how important the Amazon is to the planet's survival. This is the type of thinking that has kept the world from actually accomplishing anything towards reversing global warming. Dude, read up on science and global warming, it's vital that all of us understand what's happening to our planet. And in cae any of you don't believe in global warming, you should know that most any scientist worth his salt nowadays fully knows it is happening and are extremely concerned. Our planet is dying.

Unfortunately, it's gone beyond the "chopping down the trees" point, that is now a moot point as someone else pointed out. So many trees have been lost in the Amazon that now it's a drought, that is really serious. THe Amazon produces its own climate, making it very rainy and humid; that's why it is called a rainforest.
The Amazon does belong to Brazil, but it has also been the home of indigenous tribes for millenia. It's THEIR home and it's being destroyed to the point of tribal extinctions.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Fett Pinkus makes a good point that "nowhere in the scientific reports (thus far) does it say that the Amazon has one year left." As FP's linked reports show, the scientific wording is less explicit:

"it is clear that drought in tandem with fire could swiftly push the tall, dense rainforests of the region towards savanna scrub."

The end result, however is indeed a massive loss of carbon-trapping, so the crisis element is certainly there.

Many media reports on this topic teeter on the brink of disinformation. The Independent's July 23, 2006 report misspells the name of the chief author. The correct spelling and C.V. of the senior scientist on this "Amazon drought" project is at the following link:

whrc.org...

Another major media leap was the extrapolation from the undeniable challenge posed by the loss of so much of the Amazon basin's carbon-trapping mechanism to the spectre of the heating of "the entire Northern hemisphere". ...Hello?
Based on exactly what, my dear reporter?

The remaining accidental (or not) media snafu was in the range of estimates of duration of the current Amazon drought. Some say 40 years, some say 100 years. Bottom line here is, be prepared to compare your news sources not only with trusted news sources, but also with related scientific reports, in this case Dr. Nepstad's reports.

[edit on 8/14/2006 by Uphill]

[edit on 8/14/2006 by Uphill]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
I'm sorry but that's just lame and I have to deny ignorance. If you read my post above, Brazil used to supply ONE FIFTH of the world's oxygen.

Sucks for the people of Brazil.

This is the type of thinking that has kept the world from actually accomplishing anything towards reversing global warming. Dude, read up on science and global warming, it's vital that all of us understand what's happening to our planet.

The world? Since when was the world interested in science? In fact, I am enrolled in linear algebra, cal III and uni physics this semester, so I will have plenty to read.

And in cae any of you don't believe in global warming, you should know that most any scientist worth his salt nowadays fully knows it is happening and are extremely concerned.

You buy into this? You would think these scientists would be jumping off rooftops if we really were killing the planet.

Unfortunately, it's gone beyond the "chopping down the trees" point, that is now a moot point as someone else pointed out. So many trees have been lost in the Amazon that now it's a drought, that is really serious. THe Amazon produces its own climate, making it very rainy and humid; that's why it is called a rainforest.
The Amazon does belong to Brazil, but it has also been the home of indigenous tribes for millenia. It's THEIR home and it's being destroyed to the point of tribal extinctions.

You will have to translate this for me: produces its own climate? Do other regions of the world not produce their own climate? What is particularly unique about the Amazon: nothing more than what is particularly unique about the Sahara or Atacama.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join