It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Reasons Gays Should not Marry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

www.43rdstateblues.com.../2846
01) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

more...

hehe

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2006-7-29 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
If I had a little clapping smilie, this is where I would use it.

Instead, you get the

It's just so simple. If you don't approve of gay marriage, don't marry a gay person.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I thought the "legal" purpose, and benefits, of marriage was to encourage the production of children. I don't have a problem with homosexuals, but if gay marriage was legal what stops me from marrying my closest male friend? Sound like a free boost to "household" income and benefits!

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Touche and well said!
Behold, my banana dances with joy!

I'm not the first person to say it, and I won't be the last but here goes:

Everyone, everyone should have the right and opportunity to lose half their stuff!

Retinoid Recepter,...word up!
ps: I voted for you for WATS.
with a thread like this, you've earned it!

[edit on 7/21/2006 by wu kung]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
If I had a little clapping smilie, this is where I would use it.

Instead, you get the

Here's one Duzey.

That was a great post.

You have voted RetinoidReceptor for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

EDIT: Needed to add the full dancing banana.

This post deserves it...........................

[edit on 21/7/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
what stops me from marrying my closest male friend?

What stops you from marrying your closest female friend?

Thanks for the satire RetinoidReceptor

[edit on 21/7/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
What stops you from marrying your closest female friend?
[edit on 21/7/2006 by Umbrax]

The point is that you missed my point, or I was unclear, or you were trying to make a joke. If I agreed to be with my closest female friend for the rest of my life, then it would be a marriage! Then again, some say marriage is a religious idea (though I maintain there is a legal aspect to it, too!)

If I married my best buddy, we wouldn't be producing children, unless I missed a very important biology lesson. If I marry my favorite girl, the production of children is a very real possibility!

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

If I married my best buddy, we wouldn't be producing children, unless I missed a very important biology lesson. If I marry my favorite girl, the production of children is a very real possibility!

I recently had the pleasure of attending the wedding of a dear friend. She had been alone for quite a few years after the sudden death of her first husband, and the spark seemed to have drained from her life.

She met a wonderful man about 6 months ago and made a mad dash to the alter.
And I'm sure this marriage will last, they are so perfect for each other, and it's brought the spark back into her life.
She has someone to love and care for again. Something every human being needs whether your straight, gay, or ambiguous.

I know that neither of them want to start a family at this point in their lives, and this bond will never bare the fruit of children. But it is still a loving and wonderful marriage.

Did I mention that they are both over 65................

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If I were to get married again, there would be no possibility of children. Children and I do not get along and I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to become a mother. I never have.

Should I not be allowed to marry again?

What about infertile people? What about my mother that got remarried at the age of 55? Men who have had a vasectomy?

Should all of these people have to spend their lives alone because of some ridiculous notion that a marriage is about babies?

PS. Thanks for the clapping smiley anxietydisorder!

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
AnxietyDisorder and others, I don't - and never claimed to - have anything against homosexuals! But are two guys or gals together marriage?! It's something, but NOT marriage, imo!

edit: Duzey, I saw your latest post after mine got registered... I don't understand why a person would even get married if it is neither for religious nor legal means! Perhaps I lack experience in such things.

[edit on 21-7-2006 by AlphaHumana]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Where I am, Canada, there is only one recognized union between two people and that's a marriage. Guess whose fault that is.

When the issue of civil unions first came up, a loud group of people went nuts. 'Oh no, the very fabric of society will be destroyed!' and all that crap. So civil unions for gay people didn't happen. Finally, a segment of the gay community took the government to court and the court said you're discriminating and that's against their Charter Rights to equal access to government run stuff. You have to let gay people get married too.

If people hadn't been such weenies about the whole thing to begin with you wouldn't have all those gay people getting married. They'd be happily ensconced in their decade-old civil unions.

AlphaHumana, haven't you ever heard of love??? You know, the very best reason in the world to get married????

edited for nit-picky grammatical reasons

[edit on 21-7-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   

AnxietyDisorder and others, I don't - and never claimed to - have anything against homosexuals!

Nobody is saying you are anti-gay or anything like that.
We're just debating differing views on what constitutes a marriage.

And just so you know where I'm coming from, I've been with my husband for over 17 years, and for a couple of old gay guys we do pretty good. Over those years I've seen so many straight couples continually fighting to the point they end up in divorce court.

I'm not sure what you want to call the relationship I have, but it's a marriage to me and mine that is accepted by all my friends and family.
Also, this is Canada, so it's accepted by my government as well................

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yes, Duzey, I've "heard" of love...

But, what a difference a word makes! Marriage IS between a man and a woman! You can be homosexual, heterosexual, transsexual; and it does not matter! You can give them the same rights that a male and female couple have - though I referred to benefits - I never denied them that! It is not "marriage"!

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This will give you some idea of the direction Canada has gone with this issue.

Overview of Legislative Reforms to Date

Every jurisdiction in Canada prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation in the provision of services, accommodation and employment.(1) The coming into effect in 1985 of section 15 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the equality rights provision, influenced legislative reform in this area. Section 15 has also been instrumental in the gradual development, since the early 1990s, of provincial and federal legislation to extend statutory entitlements of heterosexual conjugal couples to same-sex couples. From 1992 through 1999, for example, B.C. legislation amended the definition of “spouse” in numerous statutes to include persons of the same sex living in “marriage-like” relationships. In 1999, Quebec legislators unanimously adopted omnibus legislation that amended the definition of de facto spouse [conjoint de fait] in the affected statutes to include same-sex couples.(2) The same year also saw the enactment of the first federal legislation to provide unambiguously for same-sex benefits, the Public Sector Pension Investment Board Act (Bill C-78), whose amendments to affected statutes included replacing opposite-sex “surviving spouse” benefits with gender-neutral “survivor” entitlements.
www.parl.gc.ca...

You can read the entire bill C-38 at the link, but here is a snip from the preamble.

The preamble to Bill C-38 includes statements of principle and fact,

*asserting Parliament’s commitment to uphold the Constitution and equality rights under section 15 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (Charter) (par. 1);

* noting the scope of judicial rulings across the country to have legalized same-sex marriage on Charter equality grounds, and the reliance of same-sex married couples on those rulings (par. 2-3);

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Why go to all the hassle of creating a whole new set of laws, amending all the old ones and having to use two different sets of paperwork? The old stuff is perfectly good and it's a lot less work to just change the legal definition to a marriage to two persons.

What's the big deal?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Same-sex marriage is an absurdity and serves no social purpose. Glib justifications won't make that fact any less true.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   

It is not "marriage"!

Why shouldn't gay people get married? In Ancient times, certain pagan socieities allowed males to marry, and in some Native American socieites it was allowed. So it was indeed not always between men and women. What is a good reason that is not a part of any religious or philosophical doctrine? We ARE a secular nation. Theocratic nations are like Iran, which Americans are ironically so opposed to.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Why are you comparing other societies to our own. Ancient Greece is no more relevant to this discussion than Iran.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What does it matter if it serves a social purpose? Why can't two people just get married because they want to spend the rest of their lives together?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with two people spending their lives together. They don't need to get married to do that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join