It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.2 Quake hits Indonisia! hundreds killed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Still waiting on some News on this,

But i have heard there is a major tsuami warning in Indonisia after a 7.2 quake has hit??

Im finding hard to get any source at the moment but keep your ears open,

Il try and get links ASAP

(Edit to edit title,

[edit on 18-7-2006 by asala]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Still waiting on some News on this,

But i have heard there is a major tsuami warning in Indonisia after a 7.2 quake has hit??

Since the big one in 2005 there have been alot of 6's 7's and even a 8 i think, on the scale. Depends where the quake was located, if its center was out at sea saw where the 9.0 one was last year then they in for a possible tsunami.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Links are starting to come in now,

JAKARTA, Indonesia - An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.2 triggered a tsunami warning Monday on Indonesia's Java Island and Australia's Christmas Island, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

The earthquake, which hit at 3:24 p.m. local caused tall buildings to sway in the Indonesian capital and at least one other city on Java Island for at least two minutes, witnesses said.

Link

Gosh this could be very bad, this in one big quake,

Skynews

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
UPDATE<

No danger of wide spread tsunami, thats just been issued/

www.alertnet.org...

[edit on 17-7-2006 by asala]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
hah faster then I am, I was trying to track down links to it, and just gave up and found that you found some lol.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
New update,

a 2 meter high tsunami hit a beach resort in java, killing at least 5 people, reports are that there it caused some damage, according to the Jakrata President

Again awaiting links to this

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Heres the relevent quake info,

Magnitude Mw 7.2
Region SOUTH OF JAWA, INDONESIA
Date time 2006-07-17 at 08:19:28.3 UTC
Location 9.2 S ; 107.45 E
Depth 40 km

www.abovetopsecret.com...
link

also Aftershock of 6.1

Magnitude mb 6.1
Region JAWA, INDONESIA
Date time 2006-07-17 at 09:13:06.3 UTC
Location 8.63 S ; 107.58 E
Depth 10 km

link

d1k

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Just now on CNN they are saying eye witnesses are reporting a Tsunami hit the west Java shore in Indonesia. That and "there are bodies floating in the water".

[edit on 17-7-2006 by d1k]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
at least 5 killed in tsunami....

I wonder if there's more to come

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
from what im hearing there is a hotel that has been damage by the Tsunami and some surrounding houses,

The news is coming in pretty slow on this,

Im also wondering what damege there is from the quake,

Also hope this does not jolt the volcano

d1k

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
According to CNN it was a M9 earthquake with a M6 aftershock.

My guess would be theres going to be a few more aftershocks.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
hmm Not heard anything on the mag 9 and the Quake links are not showing anything yet,

CNN

theres a Cnn link in case,

The quake had a magnitude of 7.2, and was centered 220 miles south of Jakarta in the Indian Ocean, according to the U.S. Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center Web site.

The quake hit at 3:19 p.m. local time (4:19 a.m. ET).

Still no reports on any damage from the Quake itself,

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
eye witness reports coming in also

Waves suddenly came and we ran to the hills. Four people from my group are still missing," said a woman who gave her name as Teti, and who said she had been accompanying Dutch tourists when the waves hit.

"Many small hotels were destroyed," she said. "Hotels on the beach front of Pangandaran ... the front parts are hit. Boats have been thrown into hotels," she said.

She told the radio that she saw three dead bodies being collected by residents. Pangandaran is on the south coast of West Java province.

Local police said residents found a corpse on the beach after they returned from higher ground.

"We've heard that there are several victims but so far we have received report of one person killed," First Brigadier Ujang told AFP.

Link

This is awfull,

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Update,

Sadly the death toll has risen, They are now reporting that up to 86 people are believed to have died,

www.sky.com...

After shocks of the Quake are still about 5.1 and above,

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
There are still loads of missing and the death tolljust keeps going up,

There are 105 people dead from 10 regencies, 148 people are injured and 127 still missing," said Putu Suryawan, the official at the Indonesian Red Cross disaster centre, adding that 2,875 people had been displaced from their homes

They really are not having much luck out there, with mud slides and other quakes,

I realy feel for the people there,

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well update today is that over 300 people are dead,

The really sad thing is here that the tsunami warning faliled, officals in jakarta failed to alert Jawa even though they where aware 20 mins before the tsunami hit,

One official told the Guardian they were too busy monitoring the aftershocks of the 7.7-magnitude quake that triggered the tsunami to raise the alarm. The government's science and technology minister, Kusmayanto Kadiman, confirmed today that Indonesia had received bulletins from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii and Japan's meteorological agency after the quake, but "we did not announce them".

link

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yes, Asala I have read that information too on other sources and find it really amazing and horrible.

In fact, they even said:

Answering reporters' questions as to why no warning was issued on Monday, Vice President Jusuf Kalla claimed there was no need because most people had fled inland after the earthquake, fearing a tsunami.

"After the quake occurred, people ran to the hills ... so in actual fact there was a kind of natural early warning system," he said. However, of dozens of people interviewed by The Associated Press in Pangandaran on Tuesday, only one person said he felt a slight tremor. None said there was a mass movement of people to higher ground before the tsunami, though some residents recognized the danger when they saw the wall of water approaching.

Source: FoxNews

This has no excuse!

In view of this event, I wonder how many coastal towns on Earth are not prepared to broadcast such an alert among tourists and residents when there is a Tsunami warning?

Where it never happened before, I am sure it would be a chaos.

Even the warning test they carried out not long ago, (I think it was May) was just administrative not practice. So we have no idea if warnings would fail.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Thats it, I am never going to that country, I dont care how nice the beaches are.
Theres a warning and nobody is told. So much for the new tsunami warning system
they put in place.

Answering reporters' questions as to why no warning was issued on Monday, Vice President Jusuf Kalla claimed there was no need because most people had fled inland after the earthquake, fearing a tsunami.

DEATH TOLL= 327 so far

www.wral.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
That's a terrible thing for a place that has no warning system in place.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
gosh im so suprised this is not being covered much on the news ect

new update, 530 now killed, and 275 people listed as missing,
www.theage.com.au...

Its so sad there are so many there who are afraid to go home as there worried about another tsunami,

I wonder how many coastal towns on Earth are not prepared to broadcast such an alert among tourists and residents when there is a Tsunami warning?

there was talk about this in the UK, soem saying its something we should get due to something that happened like that many many years ago,

im going to try and look it up a bit more,

[edit on 19-7-2006 by asala]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join