It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35 official roll-out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The Official Role-out of the F-35A.

Its sportin in new paint job...which I kinda like. But it seems that color would show up pretty clear in the skies...no?

Its name will be announced tomorrow (7/7/06).

This is the CTOL version...the STOVL will make its first flight in 2008, and the Carrier version in 2009.

The first optimised-airframe F-35A is to fly in August 2008

Whats the optimised-airframe???

(several pics in link)
Exclusive first photos of Lockheed Martin F-35 JSF ahead of official roll-out

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
That's a pretty looking airplane. I really like that paintjob.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This is an important event obviously in the history of the F-35 soon to be... just like when in 1997 Lockheed unveiled the F-22 prototype and named it the Raptor, I do hope though they put on the same laser show for the F-35 ceremony.

Yeah the paintjob looks fresh and smooth, I especially like the little beak they gave it there, BTW its subject to change, this prototype is not representative how the final assembly version will look.

As a result of a redesign to reduce the weight of the F-35B short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) variant, AA-1 is a one-off and not fully representive of the production JSF. It is being used to validate design, manufacturing, assembly and test processes for the 14 development flight-test aircraft that will follow.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I like it to... You said this was the A version... When will the B and C roll out...??

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Has a name been chosen for it yet?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   
murcielago;

Whats the optimised-airframe???

The optimised airframe will be the production standard F-35A that enters service. This one that has been rolled out is a one off that is more of a prototype (a 'YF-35' in all but name) that does not incorporate the many design changes that have been evolved.

We are still a couple of years away from seeing the definitive F-35A.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Here's a link that talks about the naming of the F-35;
F- 35 to be named

I am dismayed to see that one suggestion was 'Sky Ruler'
These people (whoever they are) simply have no soul or feel for aviation if they even thought for a second it was a decent suggestion they were making.

Mustang II would have been appropriate though given the US/UK link on the F-35 and the fact that the Mustang was designed to meet a British specification in the first place

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

I am dismayed to see that one suggestion was 'Sky Ruler'
These people (whoever they are) simply have no soul or feel for aviation if they even thought for a second it was a decent suggestion they were making.

Mustang II would have been appropriate though given the US/UK link on the F-35 and the fact that the Mustang was designed to meet a British specification in the first place

Agree on the 'Sky Ruler' comment. WTF
But I don't feel the F-35 as direct descendent to the Mustang, and one of the versions of the original P-51 was called Mustang Mk.2 in RAF I think, so I don't feel it is appropriate. The F-22 could have been the 'Mustang II', never really liked 'Raptor'.
And the Typhoon should have been 'Spitfire II', but I guess the Luftwaffe would have some objections

How about F-35 'Black Adder' (no connection to Rowan Atkinson whatsoever
)

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
No, the F-35 isn't a direct descendant. I just meant with the joint US/UK angle. I don't think that the fact there was Mustang Mk II really matters, as there was a Typhoon in WW2 and the current one is the Typhoon T.1 and F.2 so there's no contradiction.

Did you know that 'Spitfire 2' really was a working name on the early UK studies that led to the Typhoon (P.110 and P.120, the latter of which basically WAS the Typhoon we see today)?

Also, the name Mustang itself was British with RAF Mustang I and Mustang IA's in service before the USAAC had even decided to buy the plane and before the designation 'P-51' had been allocated to it. The Definitive P-51D variant served with the RAF as the Mustang IV.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

1. No, the F-35 isn't a direct descendant. I just meant with the joint US/UK angle. I don't think that the fact there was Mustang Mk II really matters, as there was a Typhoon in WW2 and the current one is the Typhoon T.1 and F.2 so there's no contradiction.

2. Did you know that 'Spitfire 2' really was a working name on the early UK studies that led to the Typhoon (P.110 and P.120, the latter of which basically WAS the Typhoon we see today)?

3. Also, the name Mustang itself was British with RAF Mustang I and Mustang IA's in service before the USAAC had even decided to buy the plane and before the designation 'P-51' had been allocated to it. The Definitive P-51D variant served with the RAF as the Mustang IV.

1. Yes I got your point the first time. What I meant was that to me, the bloodline is more important than the fact that it is joyntly designed. Mustang is one of the big names in aviation and should be attached to something more impressive (I guess this comes down to whether one likes the F-35). I Agree that Mk 2 and II are not contradicting.

2. I actually didn't know that, thanks. Come to think of it, it's better the name didn't stick. I've always had a sweet spot for the original Spit, something I can't say for the EF Typhoon. We'll see, in time I might start to like it better, has happened before.

3. Yes I know that. But I have some american friends that will kill you with stones for such a claim. Better not say it too loud around here

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
lol

Regarding what I said about 'Spitfire 2' I tried to find something (with pictures) to show you but I don't seem to have kept the articles

However I did find an editorial from Flight from 1981 that talked of a 'possible collaborative fighter' being produced via Panavia rather than the 'Spitfire 2' which was headed "Towards the Spitwulf 190" which was quite witty I think
Could this have been the very first murmurings of what was to become the Typhoon?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It looks like the naming ceremony may have been postponed to Friday, July 14th.

Don't know why~

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Don't know why~

Really? According to Reuters the F-35 has been officially named as "Lightning II". They even quoted Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England:

New U.S. F-35 fighter dubbed "Lightning II"

[..]

"The F-35 Lightning II will be the centerpiece of airpower in the 21st century for America and our allies," Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England said in a statement on Friday.

[..]

U.S. Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Michael Moseley announced the name at Lockheed's Fort Worth, Texas plant, saying it represented the fruit of over a hundred years of flight and aerial combat.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

EDIT: The official press release is available on the JSF homepage, as a .DOC file:
www.jsf.mil...
I've also published it on my website, here.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Well, kind of predictable I think but it was the best choice out of the list they published, however is it just me or does it sound strange to say F-35 Lightning II. I think this will take some getting used to as we are all familiar with JSF.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe

Originally posted by intelgurl

Don't know why~

Really? According to Reuters the F-35 has been officially named as "Lightning II". They even quoted Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England:

:::wipes egg off her face::::

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
But how can it be the Lightning II anyway?

One

Two

Three?

Zion, could that have been a pre prepared press statement that got released before the postponement was revealed? Maybe they realised that they miscounted?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
waynos - I think thats called the Lightning T5...not 2.

I'm not a big fan of them name...I dont see why it needs to be called II? Have they ran out of good names??? ATS had a thread awhile back about what its name should be...and there were several good un-used names...I just dont see that point of resurecting an old name to slap a "II" on the end of it.

Also: Why did they build this aircraft? I thought anything that could be learned from this exact design would have been learned allready with the X-35...?

I thought that was the experimental prototype...Why wait years only to rebuild it the same?

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   

lol

Regarding what I said about 'Spitfire 2' I tried to find something (with pictures) to show you but I don't seem to have kept the articles

However I did find an editorial from Flight from 1981 that talked of a 'possible collaborative fighter' being produced via Panavia rather than the 'Spitfire 2' which was headed "Towards the Spitwulf 190" which was quite witty I think
Could this have been the very first murmurings of what was to become the Typhoon?

Man, Spitwulf would have been a seriously sick name, much, much better than Typhoon

Thinking of it, what about Messerfire, sounds cool too I think

I agree the F-35 shouldn't be Lightning II. The British Lightning II was an important fighter and shouldn't be ignored by giving it's name to another. Lightning III sounds OK though

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
waynos - I think thats called the Lightning T5...not 2.

The T5 was the two-seat trainer model, that one's an F6!

I'm pleased to see that "our" Lightning gets a mention in the press release, because I was half-expecting the Lockheed boys to forget about that one.

P-38 Lightning I - F-35 Lightning II
"Whaddya mean, the Limeys had one as well?"

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I like bird names for planes

swallow maynot work though or thrush

top topics

<<   2 >>

join