It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious or Brainwashed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Think your normal looking out at the wackos?

Maybe your not looking at things with a clear mind...

1. You believe in invisible men.
2. You think you have a spirit that will float away when you die.
3. You think you can control the world with your mind (prayer).
4. You hear voices in your head.
5. You think everyone on the planet that does not believe in your religion are going to burn in hell.
6. You try to kill those who do not believe in your religion.
7. You think the universe is only a few thousand years old.
8. You have submited your self into believing in something that others told you without any tangible evidence.

9. You have picked some text out of 100's of other old ancient text to call your holy book and you believe it like you were there and witnessed it and you were not....

Are religious people insane or brainwashed people? Is it why our world is constantly at war. I say yes absolutely.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This post seems almost entirely made to incite a flamefest.

I wont be a part of it.

But I propose to you a question. Is it not possible that it has been you who have been brainwashed? Is it possible the Atheist agenda has brainwashed you in a way to overlook religion and consider it irrational, and consider those who practice religion to be narrow-minded and ignorant. But could it not be you? You shoot down religion and god, saying they are insane for believing is an invisible being, but is it not you, aswell, you is ignorant and insane? You instantly condemn something which you do not see, because you dont understand it, or you were brainwashed in such a way.

Do you believe in air?

Can you see it?

Maybe you should look more intraspectively into your own thoughts, and assess what narrowmindedness you may have obtained, before ignorantly spouting about your rheteric onto others.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Think your normal looking out at the wackos?

Maybe your not looking at things with a clear mind...

1. You believe in invisible men.

I don't see God as a man, more of a 'energy source'

2. You think you have a spirit that will float away when you die.

I think I lose my turtle shell when I die. I wouldnt call it a spirit, I would call it 'me.'

3. You think you can control the world with your mind (prayer).

I don't believe in prayer, but i don believe our thoughts and actions effect the world in ways we are beginning to more fully understand.

4. You hear voices in your head.

The only voice I hear is my own.

5. You think everyone on the planet that does not believe in your religion are going to burn in hell.

Not all religions believe in hell. I certainly don't, and anyone who believes that you have to conform to a particular belief system to 'get into heaven' needs to step outside the box.

6. You try to kill those who do not believe in your religion.

Extremists within all religions do. Most sane people don't.

7. You think the universe is only a few thousand years old.

14.6 Billion. Thats the best answer I can find.

8. You have submited your self into believing in something that others told you without any tangible evidence.

Not all, but most yes. But it is everyones choice if they want to re-evaluate that belief system once they are 'free.' Most choose not to.

9. You have picked some text out of 100's of other old ancient text to call your holy book and you believe it like you were there and witnessed it and you were not....

I believe every piece of religious texts from any religion/belief system has some validity to it.

Are religious people insane or brainwashed people? Is it why our world is constantly at war. I say yes absolutely.

I think most just need to step outside the box and understand that no matter which book you worship, set book is not complete fact.

It is a book filled with stories to help you live, and to help you undertsand our past, and when you take aspects from all different belief systems, things fit together a lot better. We have to realize we are all the same, and stop dividing ourself based on our beliefs.

But thats just me

[edit on 6/29/2006 by pstiffy]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
This post seems almost entirely made to incite a flamefest.

I wont be a part of it.

But I propose to you a question. Is it not possible that it has been you who have been brainwashed? Is it possible the Atheist agenda has brainwashed you in a way to overlook religion and consider it irrational, and consider those who practice religion to be narrow-minded and ignorant. But could it not be you? You shoot down religion and god, saying they are insane for believing is an invisible being, but is it not you, aswell, you is ignorant and insane? You instantly condemn something which you do not see, because you dont understand it, or you were brainwashed in such a way.

Do you believe in air?

Can you see it?

Maybe you should look more intraspectively into your own thoughts, and assess what narrowmindedness you may have obtained, before ignorantly spouting about your rheteric onto others.

No not trying to start some flames but I expected some healthy responces.
Mostly I am describing myself 20 years ago in the above post. Through life I have found the truth of religion to be completely lacking in evidence. Basically people chose to believe in something as far fetched as Santa Claus because it is the same thing just no one let you off the hook (god) when you got older like they did with Santa the easter bunny etc...

I am sad that there is no god but I hold out hope as we have not discovered everything yet. This post I guess was an attempt to seek out answers (evidence not just someone else faith in make believe) but I really expect none.

I do believe in Christ just not that he was the Son of God. I believe he may have thought he was though.

I also welcome god to let me know if he is real in a way where I can believe it without doubt and without brainwashing myself into believing something without some evidence beyond words written and edited by men.

I do believe that modern day invisible, benign, god religions are a sickness in humanities minds, causing uneeded death and wars.

If there is a god I would like him to let us know so we can stop the killing.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It's just ignorance. By that I mean simply the state of being unaware of knowledge (of whatever sort or origin).

And ignorance isn't something to be condemned--it should be corrected with compassion by those who have some tidbit of knowledge to share.

The really insidious damage is done by narrow-mindedness, not ignorance. Which is the refusal to allow one's mind to grow in knowledge and depth, preferring instead to remain attached to a certain idea because it 'fits' and is comfortable. It's like believing in Santa until you're 65. Unhealthy and unreal. Disappointing, too, since you quit getting Santa presents around the age of 8 or 9 (or so).

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
rather then the inter-dimensional creature that 'humans' are...the goal is to get in touch with yourself and to flow with the 'Creator' and creation...have heard it said that a error only becomes a error, when its not corrected...

The 'controllers' of this so-called civilization know that most 'humans' will fight like Hell to stay in the money 'pen' that has been given...

If one is honest with yourself...you just gotta break out...

As it is said 'seek and you will find'...Lolove n luck...ave maria !...Infinity

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Are religious people insane or brainwashed people?

No. They just prefer to label their "I don't know" as "God" or "vibrations" or some other similarly vague concept. Makes them feel less uneasy about being ignorant. That's reasonable. And political powers allow people to think this way because it generally keeps people sedate, so they don't rise up against the king or president when something goes wrong. People are rewarded, sometimes quite handsomely, because they're religious because it allows them to do business easier with people who believe the same nutty things.

"Sanity" is when you believe what most other people believe. It's a matter of consensus. You could be completely right that gnomes live in the salad crisper of your refrigerator and come out at night to steal your mustard. But if everybody else says there are no gnomes, then don't be surprised if you get heavily medicated or locked up, regardless whether you know "real truth."

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Do you believe in air?

Can you see it?

Yes

And yes. I can measure a given volume of air. I can preasurize/depreasurize it. I can feel it blowing against my body.

Piss poor analogy. You can't do any of that with this mythical diety.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n

Do you believe in air?

Can you see it?

Yes

And yes. I can measure a given volume of air. I can preasurize/depreasurize it. I can feel it blowing against my body.

Piss poor analogy. You can't do any of that with this mythical diety.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
used as a example of the Holy Spirit...air lifts a giant 747 Plane...often wonder about that......sure the other 'dimensions' are like what I think your saying...wild stuff, all the other 'dimensions' that are involved with 'our' everyday existance and even how many differant ones use our body for this or that...keep-on-trucking !...Lolove n luck !...ave maria !....Infinity

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
fanatics are everywhere. That might be unhealthy. Too much of anything including giving up your soul to religious text could be dangerous.

new topics

top topics

join