It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Troops for War on Terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Pakistan has said it will add another 10,000 troop to guard and patrol the Afghanistan border. This is to help with the US led war on terror. This was conveyed to US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice when she visited Pakistan on Tuesday.

www.hindu.com
Pakistan will deploy 10,000 more troops on its border with Afghanistan as part of the United States-led "war on terror." President Pervez Musharraf conveyed this to U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice when she visited Pakistan on Tuesday.

"We had 80,000. We've decided to increase that by another 10,000 troops and Secretary Rice was given some indication of that by the President of how that will happen, how more troops are going to be there. But we've already done that in anticipation," said Foreign Minister Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri at a joint press briefing with Ms. Rice immediately after the meeting.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It has long been thought by many of the people around me that the people on the border of Pakistan do help the militants of Afghanistan. This new report does say that this increase in troops is supposed to show that Pakistan does not support the militants,
I don't really know just how to take this. There is apparently 80,000 troops already on the border so this represents an increase of about 13% or so. And this has been going on for 5 years now, so how much of a difference is this really going to make?

Related News Links:
www.voanews.com
english.people.com.cn
www.rferl.org

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   
BBC news has an article about the visit of rice. They are focusing on the election in 2007, and the foreign minister of Pakistan stated that they do not need out side advise on how to have a fair election.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
The northern border region of pakistan is almost like a native american reservation from the US, its a giant tribal area, nominally admnistered by the federal government, but essentially independant. The people that make it up are pashtuns, who've been in the region since, I have heard, pre-historic times. The pashtuns are also in afghanistan, and they, from what I understand, act as if there were no border.

There is a very large local industry in the production, manufacture, and modification of guns, sold in open air markets. Some parts of the world export olives, others grain or microchips, that region exports instability to its neighbhors.

new topics

join