It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 100th anniversary of the british quake,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
100 years ago on the 27th of june 1906 a quake rocked Swansea UK.

A quake of the magnitute of 5.2 damage was mainly caused to chimmney pots ect,

What is amazing about this is while reading the artical... they still do not know why it happened??

Nobody, even today, understands why there was an earthquake in south Wales: like everywhere else in Britain, it is a long way from the moving edge of a tectonic plate. Nevertheless, between 1860 and 1930 seismologists counted at least seven damaging earthquakes with epicentres running along a zone from offshore Pembroke, through Swansea, to Hereford. Several of these tremors were picked up in London, Manchester and even northern France. Historians have also identified seismic events around Swansea in 1832, 1775 and 1727. Is Swansea the victim of cyclic violence? Is there worse to come?

British quake

I found this so interesting as i live in the UK and i have never heard of this?

So thought i would share this with others,

does make you wonder thats for sure,

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have been thinking during some minutes on your thread because of the year 1906.

Suddenly I knew what it was.
Remember the famous San Francisco earthquake took place on the 18th of April 1906.

Could 1906 be a very active year in relation with quakes?

Well, no idea what the reason was but I feel it is a really interesting subject.

GSA

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
There was an earth quake in scotland whilst i was on holiday with my sister hiking a couple of years ago - nothing big but enough for us to sit and shudder a little bit sat on the moors. I never thought we had earth quakes then but it really made me wonder if we know enough about the planet to keep messing it around!

: )

GSA

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
news.scotsman.com...

heres a papers take on the earth quakes and if you look there are 200 -300 quakes a year with only one in ten being felt... I know we are a long way away from an earth quake zone, but they still happen!

Our planets amazing yet we care so little about it things keep suprising us each and every day.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
hmmm and i just found another in 2002 that was a 4.8 again in the same area,

news.bbc.co.uk...

Glenn Ford, a senior seismologist at the British Geological Survey (BGS), said: "It's an extremely large earthquake in UK terms but not large in world terms; we'd only classify it as a light earthquake."

There was minor damage

BBC weather forecaster Pete Gibbs said: "It's not that unusual to have an earth tremor, but it is unusual to be that widespread and that widely reported.

hmm indeed, Im wondering more about whats going on around that area now,

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Suddenly I knew what it was.
Remember the famous San Francisco earthquake took place on the 18th of April 1906.

Yes this UK quake happend shortly after this, Funny thing was that is was only covered but local news papers in the area not any wider,

another link

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Although there's no longer any tectonic activity anywhere near the UK, we still have a lot of old faults that may occasionally still slip, mainly in the upland areas. There is also still some isostatic uplift continuing in the north which again can cause the odd tremor.

There was an earthquake in East Anglia in 1884

www.essexwt.org.uk...

And I still remember being woken up by the Dudley earthquake in 2002 - the first and only 'quake I've experienced.

www.esci.keele.ac.uk...

top topics

join