It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how up to date is Google Earth?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
4 years here..gwent, south wales...i know because at least 3 yrs ago they built a skate park next to the childrens park..its not on google earth.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I was flying around on Google Earth earlier today and saw that new images have been added in quite a few locations in the UK. I found my sisters house in Cambridgeshire and on the driveway was the Renault Espace they bought about 1 year ago. So, it must be a recent image.
Although it's nice to see updated images, some areas are still rather lacking in any detail. I keep checking to see if my location has been added yet but no joy yet

It must be 2 years out of date? I wanted to look at Arsenal's new Emirates Stadium at Ashburton Grove which was started in 2004 and is now finished.... but it's not there.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
mine is 2 years out of date[in brooklyn]

-GTB

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Some areas are out of date and some are quite recent. My friends house on there still has his car which he sold about 4 or 5 years ago.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Depends on what you are looking at.

Photos of restricted military installations can be pretty old.

I retired from the USAF in 1998. I worked a special duty assignment out of Nellis AFB, NV from 84 - 89 where I flew to/from work on a chartered civilian airline. I still do not see things on Google Earth photos I know were on the range complex when I was there. Same for other military installations I worked at from 78 - 98.

The Google Earth photo of my house shows a tree I cut down years ago.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I zoomed in on Google earth today on a retirementhome in my city wich was build and opened 3 years ago.... on Google earth the building was still in early building progress....

I guess it takes alooooot of time to retusche the images

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Bluess]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
My house was just built in March and it is on google earth already, along with my car in the driveway... just moved there in april, so only a few months behind for my area in Las Vegas.

Edit: However apparently the house where I used to live still shows the trees we cut down 2 years ago... so who knows...

[edit on 11-12-2007 by b309302]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
google earth in my area of the uk (Manchster) is about 1 year old I can tell due to the shape and colour of our old car in the front drive way. I only checked this a few weeks back.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatman

I see a vacant block and carpark where I know there was a shopping centre built in 2004. Anyone else find stuff like this??

FATMAN

Perhaps you just remember it from another time line?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I think it updates west to east, begining on the west coast of the US, becuase there is an image of a building being demolished right next to my grandparents old house in California (1 year ago);
My old camper trailer is stilll sitting out in front of my old house in Idaho (2 years ago);
my aunt's house is being built in Missouri (3 years ago).

So that's my theory. With evidence!

[edit on 12-12-2007 by Pick001]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
nearly every area that is of high interest to me is blurred or low-resolution. I dont know why they are taking so many years to get the entire earth in high-res. Its surely not a budget problem.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If your wondering about in context to Area 51 it's pretty old as they don't have any of the new buildings on there which include a massive new hanger. There are other sources for Satellite / Non Satellite photos of Area 51 which most are probably aware of.

The area where I live a few months ago seemed to be 8 years out of date, but recently this month they updated it to about a year ago.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by Zemouk]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by gfad
Yeah the images of my house seem to be a couple of years old.

Shame that the images of my uni in Bath are still really low res.

In fact the north of england is covered much better than the south! Just another example of how the north is better

Isn't England a little small to be divided into North and South??

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The base im on - in GE - is atl east 6yrs old....so I dont think military installations are really updated that often for obvious reasons.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by fatman

How up to date is Google Earth. When I looked at a home that I know is
adding a room on, it does not show anything. Would I be able to see
new construction going on?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Yes, I agree it is pretty ancient. The A 350 by-pass of Semington Village near Trowbridge, Wiltshire is not even shown as work in progress and it was opened in 2003!!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I would have to guesstimate that its about 8 months to a year behind as per the findings around my hometown area..However Ive spent quite some time A-Stan and it looks like it has not been updated in a while , The resolution isnt the best but it seems to me that key installations and other important areas have not been updated, I could be wrong however...Have a good night

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Google Earth is as up to date as...

the most recent straight-down satellite image...

with the least cloud cover.

It is a mosaic of images. They need images that are close in terms of time of year, vegetation, and have the least cloud cover to show the greatest land area.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
the latest version shows the date [ when availiable ] on the bottom toolbar

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The Goole Earth images of the area that interests me (Middle East) are hopeless out of date. Clearly this is something we should expect. The idea that such an organisation would give us up-to-date images of politically sensitive areas of the world would be a childish delusion. Apart from the political issues, there are companies, like Landsat, that makes lots of money charging people for accurate, up-to-date, information about our planet. If Google Earth were more than a toy for optimists, then these companies would be incensed annd would close Google Earth down. Don't be silly, Guys! Stop dreaming.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join