It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Earth had a ring of moons revolving around, how would it affect earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Would it just be affecting the waves? Or something else. We know other planets like Jupiter have tons of moons around them and nothing has happened. So I was thinking how the moons would affect the earth which is smaller and have life.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I read an article once (no link) that said scientist believe that the tides were what caused life to form on Earth. The movement of the tides brought all the chemicals together and kept them mixing until finally they formed in the right combinations to start life and evolution.

More than one moon would seriously affect the tides of our lovely little planet and if that were the case, no life would have come forth.

This may be pure crud, since I’m quoting a theory I probably read in a magazine in some doctor or dentists office.

Still, just thought I’d kick it in the mix so everyone else can have fun laughing at it

wupy

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
That is a very interesting perception of the thing's that may be?
"What would happen if the earth had more than one moon?" I'm going to go and investigate if there has been any other preceptions of hypothetical theories to this very question. I will have to agree with deltaboy about the tides and such, but for the most part, I am thinking "Gravitational pulls" and "Superficial expectations of our planet" could very well alter any perception's of curent belief's inot time and existance.

Inquisitive thread by the way!!

jra

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well I'm sure all the Moons around Jupiter do have an effect on it in some way. What that effect would be and how strong, I don't know. It's hard to say what a ring of Moons would do to the Earth. It would depend on there size and mass and there distance from Earth and also how all the gravitational forces are distributed around the Earth. If the gravitational forces are relitively evenly distributed around the Earth, then the tides would be minor, but if the gravitational forces happen all be mostly on one side, than i'd imagine that would create some very strong tides.

And now that I think of it. I think it would also affect the rotation of the Earth. Since our Moon is very slowly getting further from the Earth, our tides are getting weaker and the days are getting longer. So i'd guess that with a bunch of Moons, our days could be much shorter.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'd assume the effects would be similar to as if we had no Moon at all.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I did a little digging and found this web page. It is quite interesting and very informative. I hope this helps you out with your quest for knowledge of the "What if" scenario.

curious.astro.cornell.edu...

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Vampires would rule the earth................Really!!!

I f there were sooooooo many moons Werewolves wouldn,t get any sleep therefore they couldn,t fight off the covert vampire cohorts...

Werewolves are like spiders keeping down the insect nations..

Those bloodsuckers would rule the night

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I think it would depend on the size of the Moons, and how they orbited (if that's a word).

The most obvious change is the Sea and the tides, Eclipse's would also be more frequent/different with many strange light changes sometimes.

Would it affect the Earths momentum?

We do have more than 1 "Moon" at the moment, but I assume we're talking about a certain size.

Interesting article.

new topics

top topics

join