It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors this week call for 'fat tax' on soda pop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Drudge report: Doctors call for 'fat tax' on Coca-Cola and Pepsi

Doctors will this week declare war on America's soft drinks industry by calling for a 'fat tax' to combat the nation's obesity epidemic.

Delegates at the powerful American Medical Association's annual conference will demand a levy on the sweeteners put in sugary drinks to pay for a massive public health education campaign.

They will also call for the amount of salt added to burgers and processed foods to be halved.

heres the full storyDoctors call for fat tax

ok while i understand where the doctors are coming from i dont think it is fair for the people that arent over weight and eat responibly to have to pay extra because some people cant control their food intake. to me it would make more sense for the doctors to lobby for healthy organic food to not be made so damn expensive! why not do that instead? i get that if they tax pop and what not that they believe less people will buy it, but if you have an overeating problem i doubt it. and therefore it punishes everyone.

consider the facts as well, people that get morbidly obese are less likely to be able to hold the same jobs as people that arent due to health problems and what not. did you know that somebody can be on public aid for obesity as well? i get that these types of people need help but at what point do we say that they have to be accountable for their own choices? granted some people have a genetic disorder that causes them to be obese but that is few and far between. i for one think this tax is ridiculous and they should be lobbying for the healthy foods to be made cheaper that way people that are obese dont have any excuse now to try and eat healthy and for those of us that are in shape and eat healthy any how about giving us a break for once.

Cheerio!
Digitalgrl

Mod Edit: No Quote – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

join