It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposal to Ban Scented Products in Public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Ok, I understand allergies and all, as I used to suffer from them, had shots and all that jazz. And, being honest I have never been a big fan of people who are prone to dousing themselves in perfumes and such, but this seems a lit too far.

I believe certain areas would warrant a minimal of this and maybe even a complete ban such as hospitals(this is still pushing it to me) but there has to be some common sense applied here.

www.canada.com...

I think the idea of educating people is fine, but don't most of us already know not to be too liberal with our hygine products.

One paragraph that bothers me is concerning the last phase section where a by-law would be implemented banning such scents, these include perfumes, scented soaps, scented deodorants, even cleaning products. This particular phase would also extend to bars, restaurants and malls.

Where would a company sell their scented products if not at the mall? Where would we go to purchase these items if not in a public place?

What would happen if this became a law, would they implement a Scent Police Squad to hand out tickets to people who smell more than above the norm?

We just passed our non-smoking bylaw as of yesterday, no more smoking rooms in bars. Not only that, on the patio's that are uncovered if you have 2 umbrellas touching to make a shelter, you can't smoke underneath them. One inch apart I guess is ok though.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I use scented shampoo and conditioner.
I use scented deoderant-antiperspirant.
I use scented laundry soap and fabric softner.
I use scented tampons.
I use perfume.
I use scented lotion.
I use scented bath salts.
I use scented hair spray.
I use scented body spritz.
I use flavored toothpaste, which leaves a minty smell to my breath.
I use breath mints, which have the effect as above.

No, I don't reek like the perfume isle of Walmart, but I like to smell good. Moderation is the key.

I would be very much against banning all scented products. I think many companies would go out of business if this happened. Not to mention there aren't many unscented products on the market.

[edit on 6/12/2006 by abbyful]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I think its ridiculous. Most products I used are scented. If they are worried about allergies so much, then they should cut away all trees, shrubs and flowers in the whole area. To ruin life for everyone just cuz a few folks are allergic to stuff is ridiculous. Thats why we have anti allergy meds and therapy.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Yeah, sometimes I can't even believe there are people getting paid to dream up brilliant ideas like this one.

How would you honestly go about enforcing a law, if it came to pass, like this?

Companies would have to abide, but what about people, could you really fathom getting a ticket from the Scent Squad for "indecent asscent"

The thing that strikes me the most odd is these 'rules' would be implemented for a majority of scents that are normally pleasant and liked by most. I suppose if there was a law in regards to people who do not bathe or wash, or brush their teeth, and generally stink unpleasant, this would be in violation of their rights
, so this has not been brought to the debate in question.

So if you stink nice, your out. If you stink rotton you can stay

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   
ahhh...smoking wasn't the end of it all, just the beginning??? what a shame....

do some research and find out just what is in all those pretty scented products. you'll find many of the same ingredients added to them that have been labeled dangerous when it comes to shs. if they warrented the removal of shs from public places, shouldn't they also warrent the removal of those scented products out there.

what's next....ummm...ah yes, the campfire kids, and those dangerous campfires!!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Well I love scented items occurs I am a very girl old girl

But the fact is . . . that I suffer from allergies even when they have been under medical control for years.

Sometimes I will get in a bout of coughing and hacking just by smelling somebody with a strong perfume or cologne or just by going inside a store that sells candles or other perfume items.

Do I want everything to be unscented? hell not I love pretty and good smells.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yeah let's punish the hygienic people who smell good. But not the hippies that smell like sweaty cheese and feet, b/c deoderant is supposedly bad for you and showering wastes water.

I have allergies, and it's unwashed smokers who set me off, not perfume or body sprays. I love them. They lift my spirits.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
and yet, do some research, you will find that that pretty little scent carries about as much danger to you as those cigarettes do. many of the chemicals that are in the cigarettes are also added to those scented products...what, do they lose their toxicity, just because they carry a prettier smell?

they used to make the scented products without those chemicals, they used to make the cigarettes without them also. it might have been more costly, maybe a little less attractive, but, they were much safer without the chemical additives.

maybe we should quite singling this or that out and just griping about that one thing and it 's health effects and basically using it as a scapegoat and go after the real culprits-- all the chemicals that they seem to want to throw into everything, because it makes it all so much cheaper. got news for all of yas....the crap was cheaper before! just like the sneakers that used to be made in the US were cheaper than what they are selling the imported ones for now are!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by abbyfulNo, I don't reek like the perfume isle of Walmart, but I like to smell good. Moderation is the key.

To you may seem moderate, to others may seem like overkill. SOme people jyst cannot stand those smells. If you look up what they put in perfumes, you will see what i mean.

new topics

top topics

join