It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A picture for members to digest.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hi guys, just going post a couple of pics i took not long ago of something in the evening sky.
I'm not sure what they were nor am I going to insert my opinion as to what I think they were.
The pics are as is, apart from copying them off my cam onto my pc and posted here.
I'm sure you can obtain the cam specs but if you want them let me know.

Below are some question Gazrok advises to use when reporting a UFO to other reporting sites.
SO to get some of the basics out of the way;

Date of sighting? 25th April 2006
Time of sighting 6.38pm AEST
How long did the sighting last? 3 mins approx
City, state of sighting: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
How many other witnesses? 1
Just lights, or shape discernable? Both
Color of lights and/or object/s? Orange to White
Number of lights and/or objects? 2 main objects plus few smaller.
Apparent altitude? 10,000 Feet +???
Direction of travel? West
Apparent brightness? See pic for relevance.
Path of travel (straight, curved, etc.)? Down and West South West
Any pictures or video? Yes
Any sound? No
Any aircraft around? Police Helicopter in Eastern sky nearby.
(Have pics of that for ref.)

The pics were taken from a balcony approx 4m high.
Facing West during a sunset, the objects appeared over Heidelberg/Ivanhoe in Melbourne.
The objects height I've guess-timated to 10,000 feet however I say that with little faith.
I have seen aircraft much higher ( x 2-3 times) in the sky than these objects.
I think 10,000 is a good point to start.
This height could also throw out my assumption as to where/suburbs these objects were appearing over, so

perhaps 'that direction' may have to suffice.

Also the lay of the surrounding land could throw the height estimate out.

I took a few pix most without zoom so I could get some ground feature for reference.
Due to the valley like panorama, and height of the property, it was hard obtaining a shot with
the undulation of the land / suburbs and the objects in the sky as to better gauge its height.
Should these pics get some attention or more pics are required of the landscape etc, I will provide them.

They objects seem to be moving down in altitude and away towards west sth west direction but this movement

happened within a hands width before they faded away.

It was a beautiful sunset with some cloud cover, so these could be dismissed as cloud reflection etc, however

the pics definetly show the objects in the foreground. I'll leave it for you to decide.

I could go on and on with details, however I want to see if these a worthy of further discussion.
I could provide some Google Earth pics for ref.. again, let me know.

The pictures captured more than what I could see with my eyes and glasses on. I wasn't aware of the smaller

objects till I looked at the pics.

Also I mentioned there was the VIC Police Helo flying around. It was in the oppsite sky circling surronding

areas, but at no time was in the west or obscurring any vision of the objects. I took pics of it for ref

too. Also it was around much long after the objects dissappeared.

The plus side, my partner was watching this unfold, so it was good seeing someone elses curiosity for a

change. Nice to have my cam handy for once too !!!

So if anyone has any opinion as to what this is, please, do tell.

(I hope this obides by the new image linking policy - Mods please advise me if not suitable)

3 links to the same pic:

img393.imageshack.us...

img393.imageshack.us...

img393.imageshack.us...

Personally I am not sure, I know it wasn't any commercial airliner, swamp gas or Venus.

Peace

OSS.

edit: Great!!! the pic links don't appear to work, these are the links image shack provided when I uploaded the pic, I'm not sure how to get them working... any ideas?

[edit on 1-5-2006 by one_small_step]

Mod edit: to repair links.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Links dont work dude

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It's too small to tell. It could be a UFO, it could be a bird.

Btw, you gotta copy and paste the url as they aren't linked properly.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I thought I did copy and paste them, I'll try again.

img393.imageshack.us...

img393.imageshack.us...

[img=http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/9082/10008661tq.jpg]

These are the links ImageSHack provide. Apologies for this.

You should be able to zoom in with heaps of detail.

If you have any other suggestions in obtaining the full size pic let me know.

I don't have too much atm, I will be online again later.

PS the middle link just worked for me.

I just noticed something else in the pic, just above the the right most tree - i think that is a bird though. weird.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by one_small_step]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by one_small_step
I'm sure you can obtain the cam specs but if you want them let me know.

Did you really use a Dental Camera? That's wonderful!* (And it might explain why nothing's in focus.)

Anyway, thanks for providing complete info; it's absolutely refreshing.

So far, it appears to me that you captured something actually falling from the sky, maybe a meteor. Will let you know if and when, etc.

*Back in the 80's I got a picture of a tornado forming. I couldn't get to my camera bag in time, so I grabbed the shot with my wife's Kodak disk camera, then rushed it to the local newspaper. The tornado looked like this on the film:

but the storm ended up killing people in several states, and that stupid picture was picked up by AP and got published in 30-some newspapers. It just goes to show, it's more important to get shot and apologize later.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Assuming it's the bright lights in the center of the picture, and that the pictures came from someone trying to get a picture of them, then I don't know what it is. It's not a meteor or swamp gas since it's too high up for swamp gas and the length of the sighting is too long for a fireball or meteor.

Assuming it's the bright lights in the center of the picture, but the pictures were taken of the sky just for a pretty shot, then these just look like an optical illusion caused by the lenses of the camera (see how one spot of light is sharp and defined, but the other is blurry and smudged?).

Assuming it's the little speck of black over the trees to the lower-left of the lights, then it looks like it was a bird.

That's my unbiased examination of this photo.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Dental Cam - I had no idea!!

Perhaps I should stick to taking pics of people smiling.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm still interested in peoples thoughts.

Dunno about the bird comment, but hey its an opinion.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well, I was talking about the bright lights for the most part - so I guess I'll go into a little more depth about the bird comment to explain myself (thanks for not taking it personally by the way, it's a lot more than some other people might have done
)

Anyways, I say it's a bird due to the lighting. When it's the late evening, with the sun setting, everything in the distance turns black. A wonderful problem with black is that it makes things have a silouette rather than an actual form, which is why it can make a bunch of things look like something other than what they are.

For example, imagine that it was the same shot, but you saw a plane in the distance from side-on. Since it's side-on, you wouldn't see the wings, would you? Since it's far away, you wouldn't hear the roar of its engines, so it seems silent. If it's large, but far, then it appears small. So in the end it would look like a cigar-shaped UFO landing down into the trees.

Now, like I said, this is based off the picture you took. I don't know all the details, I wasn't there. I don't know if it passed over you, or if it stayed at a distance and disappeared behind a treeline. However, if it didn't suddenly shoot off at high speeds, and it disappeared behind the treeline, then you can be pretty sure it was something terrestial.

I hope this helps you explain what this is to yourself. If this accurately defines your situation when you took the picture, then you know it was a bird/plane/something. If this explanation doesn't accurately define what you saw, then it was something else, and I'd be happy to look into it more in-depth
(I take great joy in UFO sighting investigations).

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by one_small_step
Dental Cam - I had no idea!!

That's what's in the jpeg exif data:

File name : /home/rand/FirefoxDownloads/10008661tq.jpg
File size : 415191 bytes
File date : 2006:05:01 18:16:00
Camera make : EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Camera model : KODAK DX7590 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Date/Time : 2006:04:25 18:38:39
Resolution : 2576 x 1932
Flash used : No
Focal length : 63.0mm (35mm equivalent: 380mm)
Exposure time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
Aperture : f/3.7
ISO equiv. : 80
Whitebalance : Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure : program (auto)

Your camera thinks it's a DX7590, which is a special dental model according to Kodak (see link in post above).

Late-breaking news: there were two Russian orbital launches on or about the 25th April (one being the newest Israeli spy-sat, the other a Progress resupply pod) ; unfortunately, if you consider it unfortunate
, they occured about 6 hours before and after your sighting, so that rules out a possible upper-stage separation.

NASA's Orbital Debris newsletters
www.orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov...
had no mention of a re-entry around that time/date, but then, they usually don't mention such things unless there's a possiblity of debris hitting the ground or unless it's going to be one heckofa show. That doesn't completely rule out satellite debris, but does reduce the probability of it being anything special.

I considered a short, fat contrail (there was one here tonight, just at sundown) but those are usually more Vee-shaped, and there's no plane-dot visible.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
Well, I was talking about the bright lights for the most part - so I guess I'll go into a little more depth about the bird comment to explain myself (thanks for not taking it personally by the way, it's a lot more than some other people might have done
)

Hey Yarium, thanks for your explanation. I was actually refering to Kruels post above re the bird. Its all good - thanks for your level headedness!

The dark object aside, I'm more interested in the illuminated objects.

The objects, ever so slowly moved in the 3 min time window I saw them. It appeared to move down in altitude and to a west sth west direction then gone. Thats it.

It really didn't make any aggresive turns etc - it moved very slow, perception of distance and height greaatly effect what was happening.

It's brightness is what stood out - it was very bright in the sky, considering the sunset during that time.

I have more pics, I just don't have all that much time atm, kinda sneaking this post in at work.

I'll gladly email them to you if you want.

Oh, and thanks to Rand

thanks again.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by one_small_step]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
left object looks like a cloud. The right looks like space debris. As for a smudge? I think that can't be a smudge.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I donno what it is, but I love the amazing detail on the very bright object to the right.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The first one looks like a reflection in a window to me. Were you actually outside on your balcony, or photographing from inside, through glass? If it isn't a reflection, then it's something natural. It doesnt look like a space ship. If you invert it, it looks like a clump of wet mud or sand that has been thrown into the air and is breaking apart.

The other darker one might be a bird, but it's hard to tell.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
The first one looks like a reflection in a window to me. Were you actually outside on your balcony, or photographing from inside, through glass? If it isn't a reflection, then it's something natural. It doesnt look like a space ship. If you invert it, it looks like a clump of wet mud or sand that has been thrown into the air and is breaking apart.
The other darker one might be a bird, but it's hard to tell.
[edit on 2-5-2006 by Yarcofin]

Hey guys, Yarcofin, the pic was taken outside from the balcony, so there is no reflection from glass and that was a fair point to make.

I can put my hand on my heart and honestly say it isn't a staged shot ie me throwing anything into the air and taking a shot etc. There is enough BS in this field to fill everyones socks 4 - 5 times over, and I will not add to that. Nor do I have the time or inclanation to do that, plus I respect the integrity of this board, admins, mods and most memebers to want post something false and ruin any cred I may have. Hence I have made no astonishing claims as to what it is / could be.
Its my first real thread and reported sighting, so remaining objective is my primary concern. I hope I have displayed this.

As I stated, (perhaps not enough), basically went on the balcony because it was a beautiful sunset and felt like I a ciggy, and basically noticed the object with my partner, grabbed my cam and took about 6 or so shots before it was over.

All I believe, is that I managed to capture some aerial phenomena, and reported it to ATS first for eval. If by chance members and mods see something more then I will pursue this through other avenues.

Its kinda weird that a few weeks ago I saw something else, and reported it here (Melbourne UFO thread) and soon after this occured. When it rains - it pours, i guess.

I hope this clears up any grey areas as to my motivation or situation.

Keep up the discussions, I'm happy to answer any questions or supply more pics.
My only issue is I don't have much free time atm (life, band, work etc) so I'll drop in as often as I can to check.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
bump
In light of enkidu's Australian UFO post.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
how do u find the camera info like that?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
not to sure how that info is extracted.

I wish I had taken some vid of it

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DalairTheGreat
how do u find the camera info like that?

- Save the full/original image file to your PC.

- Right click and choose properties

- Select the Summary tab

- Choose >> Advanced

Hope this helps.

one_small_step,

Interesting photo and an Excellent presentation/documentation of the "incident".
Not sure what it might or could be, but a definite A for effort and presentation.

[edit on 7/5/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Awesome pics,,,, doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before.

If I were to hazard a guess,,,,
The ship on the right just left a Taco Bell and they're dumping their waste compartment prior to a hyperspace jump. (hence the flames below the craft)

I dunno, I keep my cam close by after missing some good shots. I haven't seen many UFO's, but the ones I saw I wasn't able to photograph because I was camless at that moment.

Kudos to you for some decent shots.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
[
one_small_step,

Interesting photo and an Excellent presentation/documentation of the "incident".
Not sure what it might or could be, but a definite A for effort and presentation.

[edit on 7/5/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

Thanks for that guys.

I figured that if I provide enough info from the start we can all focus on the real issue - ascertaining what the object is/was.

I've seen too many posts pulled apart because of lack of info.

Thanks again to all who have bought ideas to the table.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join