It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tryptophan and FDA Transgressions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Before Prozac, there was a time when simple amino acids did the job, namely L-Tryptophan, which metabolizes into Serotonin, ie. produces not 'enhances' serotonin levels. the benefits should be obvious.

In 1989, a faulty genetically engineered process resulted in the production of a toxic variation of the amino acid, killing 37 and permanently disabling 1500, with 6000 or so total cases, all manufatured by a single company.

Next day, so to speak the FDA banned Trypthophan ENTIRELY, the ban is still in place.

Source

According to U.S. law, the company was allowed to sell the L-tryptophan produced in gene-spliced bacteria without any safety testing because it and other firms had been selling the supplement produced in non-genetically engineered bacteria for years without ill effects. The method of production was considered immaterial. What was important was that the new product was "substantially equivalent" to the L-tryptophan that had been sold for years.

coincidence? i honestly don't think so.

Furthermore, i'll have to bash Quackwatch for their biased and posterior-kissing stance, this is not just ignorance, they're spreading disinfo:

link
In 1989, an outbreak of eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS) occurred among L-tryptophan users [2]. A hitherto rare disorder, EMS is a debilitating disease characterized by severe muscle and joint pain, weakness, swelling of the arms and legs, fever, skin rash, and an increase of eosinophils (certain white blood cells) in the blood. Over the next year, more than 1,500 cases and twenty-eight deaths were reported to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [3]. The actual toll probably was more than 5,000 people, many of whom suffered for years and are still disabled. Soke of the victims were children. When the link between EMS and L-tryptophan became apparent, the FDA quickly banned its sale [4,5].

mighty FDA to the rescue, what would we do without them? all be poisoned by eeeevil quacks poisoning us with 0.5% hydrogen peroxide?
Is omitting the obvious just cynical? or insane perhaps? Nothing's worth prozac, but i guess the industry will do anything to put more flourine compounds into people and the biosphere, apparently.

to top it off:

Source

1) On February 9, 1993, a US government patent (#5185157) was issued to use L-Tryptophan to treat and cure EMS, the very same deadly flu-like condition that prompted the FDA to take L- Tryptophan off the market in 1989.

Another source can be found here (commercial website)

PS: The entire episode is like giving the electric chair to a murder witness while the defendant gets a relocation program. The stuff wasn't new, one company screwed up, i wanna see tires banned after the firestone debacle ! are these greedy perverts serious or are they testing my capacity to hate?!?! Regulating GMOs? nnnever ! i mean our sponsors make big buxx off that frankenstuff, right?

Why am i NOT surprised?

[edit on 18-4-2006 by Long Lance]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Tryptophane works great for many things, sleep, anxiety and depression. We wouldnt want the pharmacutical companies to have any competition now would we?

I think one is more likely to get hit by lightning or ate by a shark than you are to get sick from a bad batch of L-tryptophane.

Tom

join