It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim UNC Grad Charged with Attempted Murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, a 22-year-old Iran native, drove his car through an area filled with University of North Carolina students so that he could ""avenge the deaths or murders of Muslims around the world." Although no one was seriously injured, six people were treated and released from local hospitals. Taheri-azar, who graduated in December, is thought to have acted alone.

A recent University of North Carolina graduate was charged with nine counts of attempted murder Saturday, a day after authorities say he drove through a popular campus gathering spot in an attempt to avenge Muslim deaths.

Derek Poarch, chief of the university police department, confirmed Saturday that Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, a 22-year-old Iran native, told investigators he wanted to "avenge the deaths or murders of Muslims around the world." Poarch would not provide any other details on the motive.

Taheri-azar also is charged with nine counts of assault. No one was seriously hurt in the incident just before noon Friday at The Pit, a sunken, brick-paved area surrounded by two libraries, a dining hall and the student union near the center of campus.

www.usatoday.com

Well, really, what can you expect from a psychology and philosophy major? Although, the authorities claim that there was nothing to indicate that Taheri-azar was involved in any kind of conspiracy or that he gave any outward signs that he was considering such an act, these kinds of displays should lead us all to be more aware of our surroundings. Although the article is vague about most details, I'm going to guess that Taheri-azar has mental problems and does not represent what we would consider to be a true terrorist threat, insofar as his act does not appear to have been systematic and well thought out, but that's just a guess.

[edit on 2006/3/4 by GradyPhilpott] extra DIV

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Oh those muslims sure are a sane bunch to hang out with aren't they??

They fly planes into buildings, blow up buses full of school children, wear bombs on london buses, and now this. Is it any wonder that people really are getting fed to the back teeth with Muslims? I want to avenge my brothers! is far too commonly heard from them, and I for one just wonder how long its going to be before the backlash against these lunatics is going to start??

You cannot fly, get on a bus, use the tube or go to school without wondering when the next loonies going to want to avenge fellow Muslims world wide...

Goodness me im sick of all this islamic crap I really am. When are they going to sit down and realise that this type of crap is doing them no favours at all? and please, I know its a lunatic fringe that does it, but why is islamic lunatic fringe so damn large??

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
When will we stop making excuses for these people? Why are home grown terrorists nut cases and the foreign ones people with legitimate greiveances?

We are at war my friends.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Seems more to me in scale and scope like an individual who just lost it and went on a rampage. Fortunate that no one was killed or seriously injured. The article I saw indicated his residence had been searched and his roommates had cooperated fully with the investigation. I'll be interested to see what the investigation turns up, him being Iranian and all, and going around the commons in his SUV to avenge "Muslim deaths around the world."

Good thing he didn't have ready access to any WMD's, bombs, rockets, or machine guns, or things could have been much worse. It doesn't take a terror organization affiliation to cause lots of death and destruction, just the maniacal desire to hurt and kill people, and the means to do it with.

[edit on 4-3-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If truely an isolated incident then he's just a "nut" or didn't want to return to Iran. However, my dark side says this could have been a diversion for something else. Who were his friends? Has something been taken from capus during the "ruckus"?

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Seems more to me in scale and scope like an individual who just lost it and went on a rampage.

Ditto.

Let's not forget our fine examples of home grown terrorists who have done worse to our fellow Americans here and abroad. Like Manson, Charles Whitman (who took guns up to the tower of the University of Texas in Austin in the 1970's and began massacreing his fellow students) and on and on and on.

We could find Canadians doing the same sort of thing without too much trouble, or Brits or Aussies or Germans ... read a few newspapers from other countries and you'll get a perspective on how often people kind of "lose it" and go on rampages.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   

o.p. by Byrd
Charles Whitman (who took guns up to the tower of the University of Texas in Austin in the 1970's and began massacreing his fellow students)

When I saw and read this story, Whitman came immediately to mind. We never did find out what was on his mind that horrible day, did we?

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Seems more to me in scale and scope like an individual who just lost it and went on a rampage.

Ditto.

Let's not forget our fine examples of home grown terrorists who have done worse to our fellow Americans here and abroad. Like Manson, Charles Whitman (who took guns up to the tower of the University of Texas in Austin in the 1970's and began massacreing his fellow students) and on and on and on.

We could find Canadians doing the same sort of thing without too much trouble, or Brits or Aussies or Germans ... read a few newspapers from other countries and you'll get a perspective on how often people kind of "lose it" and go on rampages.

Never happened at A&M, they just loaded up flatcars with Howitzers and threatened to blow Waco off the Map

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Actually, Charles Whitman executed his deed in 1966. I was living in Shreveport at the time. We moved to Texarkana a couple of months later and I learned that one of his victims had been a student at Texas Sr. High School, where I attended, until graduation in 1967.

www.crimelibrary.com...

[edit on 2006/3/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I wonder what is served by saying that everyone else does it. It doesn't make what he did less grievous. Perhaps the benefit is to remind us to not let our guard down; I don't know.

MadGreebo, do you really think that there are so many of the lunatic fringe? Or is it that every incident is magnified these days? Once again, I don't know, except to say that a single pint of oil can easily poison a well.

The guy obviously has some mental problems, or, to borrow a phrase, is "off his meds". Did anyone catch the smug little smirk he wore as he was loaded into the back of the cruiser?

The authorities are treating it seriously. The charges are 9 counts of attempted murder, and bail was set at $5.5 million.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I think this was pretty serious. It's violence targetting innocent individuals in the support of a political objective - terrorist tactics. This should be treated as a terroristic act. The guy had a bone to pick with US policy, or whatever, and he chose to make his grievances known by ramming a couple thousand pounds of steel into a crowd of innocent bystanders.

Throw the book at him. Nitwit.

Grady

Well, really, what can you expect from a psychology and philosophy major?

Are you being serious?

Although, the authorities claim that there was nothing to indicate that Taheri-azar was involved in any kind of conspiracy or that he gave any outward signs that he was considering such an act, these kinds of displays should lead us all to be more aware of our surroundings.

Yeah, I don't think this is the new wave of attacks or anything, and it does appear he acted alone. People should, indeed, be aware of their surroundings. I can't count how many times its saved my bacon.

Although the article is vague about most details, I'm going to guess that Taheri-azar has mental problems and does not represent what we would consider to be a true terrorist threat, insofar as his act does not appear to have been systematic and well thought out, but that's just a guess.

Well, anybody who thinks ramming an SUV into a crowd of people is a good way to prove a political point isn't exactly a boon to our society. I think this guy is a threat insofar as he's got a demonstrated willingness to injure innocent people to prove a point (about injuring innocent people!).

The fact that his act was neither systematic nor well thought-out doesn't mean it wasn't terrorism. Remember the doofus who couldn't be bothered to bring along a proper lighter to set his shoe bomb off? Still a terrorist.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Well, really, what can you expect from a psychology
and philosophy major?

GRRRRRRRRR! At the rist of a one line response ....
Explain this.

Signed .... one who majored in psychology!

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It looks very much like Tehari-azar will spend some time in prison unless his lawyer trots out the old and much-used temporary insanity plea and the jury falls for it . . . which I don't think they will.

I'm guessing that an Isamic person doing terroristic-like crimes in the US would face a hard time in prison.
Prison's have a definite pecking order and it would not surprise me to see Tehari-azar end up lower than the child molesters and their ilk who now inhabit the bottom tiers of the pecking order.

He'll probably end up in a special cell away from the general population, but after enough of these people get into prison they'll probably toss them into the general population.

As it should be perhaps....

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
GRRRRRRRRR! At the rist of a one line response ....
Explain this.

Signed .... one who majored in psychology!

It's called sarcasm. It was supposed to be humorous to a select group. I have a BA in Sociology, with a minor in psychology, and a Master of Social Work with an emphasis on mental health and gerontology.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Why are we discussing this fruitloop as if he is a sane and compretent member of any religion, nationality or anything else?
Please!

People of all nationalities and beliefs go a little funny in the noggin from time to time. This one just popped his cork before anyone could see what was coming down the path.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
It's called sarcasm.

I'm just givin' ya' a hard time Grady!
Actually, I hear a lot of folks say the same kind of thing
about psychologists and psychology majors ... that they
(we) all went into it to figure out our own massive
mental health problems.

I have ... a Master of Social Work with an emphasis
on mental health and gerontology.

Good for you! That's awesome! I'm glad to see
you doing this, especially the gerontology area. Lots' of
folks just skip right over that and think that area isn't
glamourous enough to want to help people out in.

You get a double
from me!

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Why are we discussing this fruitloop as if he is a sane and compretent ...

Yep. Someone mentioned the facial expressions he gave as he was
being taken away. He was grinning and he obviously has no clue as
to what is coming next in his life.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
Oh those muslims sure are a sane bunch to hang out with aren't they??

They fly planes into buildings, blow up buses full of school children, wear bombs on london buses, and now this. Is it any wonder that people really are getting fed to the back teeth with Muslims? I want to avenge my brothers! is far too commonly heard from them, and I for one just wonder how long its going to be before the backlash against these lunatics is going to start??

there is no such thing as a backlash against a minority in the US such a thing is called a HATE CRIME.

Youd get more time for a backlash than this guy will for trying to kill people.

Thank you political correctness!

top topics

join