It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israelis Fire Across Lebanon Border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This just in from the news wire. As if things weren't bad enough. I think Israel is about to turn up the heat on Hezbollah.

KFAR KILA, Lebanon - Israeli soldiers fired automatic rifles across the Lebanese-Israeli border Monday, hitting two Lebanese cars but causing no injuries, Lebanese security officials said...

A spokesman for Hezbollah, the anti-Israeli militant Lebanese guerrilla group active in south Lebanon, also said he had heard reports of an incident but had no details.

Shootings on the edge of this border town, some 100 kilometers (60 miles) southeast of Beirut, have been rare since Israeli troops withdrew from south Lebanon in 2000 following their 18-year occupation...

Israeli soldiers yelled at reporters and Lebanese soldiers who arrived at the scene about an hour after the shooting and ordered them to leave the area. One of the Lebanese soldiers replied, "This is Lebanese territory. We are not leaving," according to an Associated Press reporter at the scene Israeli soldiers shouted back in Arabic, "Go away before we shoot you," the reporter who witnessed the argument said.

Story here.

[Edited on 7-10-2003 by kukla]

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I just saw that too as i logged onto Yahoo, as i said last night, things are escalating fast but who is going to make the big step first?

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Reuters is saying that they shelled the village.

KFAR SHOUBA, Lebanon (Reuters) - Israeli troops in a disputed border area shelled the edges of a south Lebanese village Monday, security sources and witnesses said.

channels.netscape.com...

Shelling and a gun fight are two very different things. And Bush comes out this morning and says Israel has every right to defend itself...yet this looks like an unprovoked attack..

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
BBC,CNN & Fox have their mouths firmly closed right now, i haven't seen anything on the sites...yet.

Not even SkyNews has it, give the story 20 minutes though.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 12:55 PM
link   
McClellan was just on CSPAN and just gave one of the shortest press conferences I've seen from the WH...

Said Sharon did not tell Bush in advance about the Syria strike and that Bush has stressed to him to not do anything that would heighten tensions further..

Got drilled on Wilsongate.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
There must be some kind of reasoning behind this, they've attacked the territory of 2 Sovereign nations within 2 days, something they havent done in 30 years.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
this is getting interesting..

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   
"There must be some kind of reasoning behind this, they've attacked the territory of 2 Sovereign nations within 2 days, something they havent done in 30 years."

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'd say they've finally taken aim at Hezbollah.

Here's another thought. I found this snippet in editorial at aljazeerah.

What happened to Iraq's arms that are supposed to have been stored in Syria? Numerous ideas would be cited at that point, perhaps including the theory that Syria moved the alleged weapons to Lebanon. It is open to question whether that would mean the Americans setting their gunsights on Lebanon, with the hidden agenda of demolishing the Hizbollah and other groups which refuse to uphold American interests as their priority.

Aljazeerah

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I've heard from an Israel Defence Forces source of mines that Israeli pilots are on alert tonight. But i'm not sure if this is because of Yom Kippur or a new offensive action.

It seems we have a major escalation going down in the past couple days, this seems more than Israel poking a stick in the hornets nest of terrorism.

I guess we're going to have to wait.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Local newspaper said one Israeli soldier died in this exchange. Also said that the Lebanese fighters started shooting first..

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 02:30 PM
link   
LOL, love it!

This will take the heat off of Bush for awhile, good plan!

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla
"There must be some kind of reasoning behind this, they've attacked the territory of 2 Sovereign nations within 2 days, something they havent done in 30 years."

Check your dates.
It's the first time that the Israelis have gone against Syria in a big way for 30 years but they've been pretty active against Lebanon for years - ever since Syrian and Iranian backed Hezbollah forces have taken up postions near the border.

But anyway, the news reports say that the Israelis were firing back at Hezbollah. One Israeli soldier had already been shot dead. Who fired first can only be guessed at, but the Lebenese border has never been a quiet place.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

Check your dates.
It's the first time that the Israelis have gone against Syria in a big way for 30 years but they've been pretty active against Lebanon for years - ever since Syrian and Iranian backed Hezbollah forces have taken up postions near the border.

Those are actually Leveller's dates and they're not correct but the observation is still pertinent. He also posted that no less than a half an hour from the story breaking.

I think 99' was the last time there was any activity on the Lebanon border...? Not sure.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I know the Israelis shot up a UN water truck. The Un was pissed, because the truck was clearly marked. According to the peacekeepers there, the Israelis started firing at them.

What the # is Israel doing? Are they deliberately trying to stir # up? Are they deliberately trying to start a fullscale mid east war? The backlash against the US is gonna be big, because Bush didnt condemn the attacks, he even gave the political equivilant of a wink and pat.

#ing Israel. At this rate the stupid #s will start world war 3!

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
What the # is Israel doing? Are they deliberately trying to stir # up? Are they deliberately trying to start a fullscale mid east war? The backlash against the US is gonna be big, because Bush didnt condemn the attacks, he even gave the political equivilant of a wink and pat.

#ing Israel. At this rate the stupid #s will start world war 3!

Someone used the analogy of throwing a match into a timber box. Seems accurate. In all seriousness though Skadi, Israel seems to have taken us much closer to WW3 then we were a week ago. I mean Christ, Pakistan tests a new missle, Armitage plays it down, Israel strikes Syria and a border shootout with Lebannon. If the Pope wasn't on his death bed, he'd be logging some serious frequent flyer miles right now..

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I think 99' was the last time there was any activity on the Lebanon border...? Not sure.

Nah dude. Israel took out a Hezbollah artillery piece last month:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Then the month before:

news.bbc.co.uk...

A couple of days before that:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Two months before that:

news.bbc.co.uk...

And as this last report states: The border region is now the site of almost daily tit-for-tat violence between the Israeli army and Hezbollah.

news.bbc.co.uk...

You have to remember that Israel actually invaded and occupied Lebanon for 15 years and only pulled out in 2000.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Yep Leveler, they sure did.

Lebanon is now getting it again. And now they are hitting Syria. With everything weve already done over there, this # is gonna escalate.

So, where the # is the UN now? We have a nation going around attacking people without presenting and asking permission for resolutions before the UN. I guess Israel is exempt and can do whatever the # they want.

That stupid govornment of thiers is gonna get us in world war three if they keep this # up, and that stupid drooling synchophant simian coke snorting piece of Illuminati # George Dubya Bush is basically sitting with his #ing thumb up his ass instead of reigning them in.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   

That stupid govornment of thiers is gonna get us in world war three if they keep this # up, and that stupid drooling synchophant simian coke snorting piece of Illuminati # George Dubya Bush is basically sitting with his #ing thumb up his ass instead of reigning them in.

WOW!!! Not that I don't agree with the sentiment.. but holy cow, you sure aren't pullin punches on that are ya?!

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 06:43 PM
link   

George Dubya Bush is basically sitting with his #ing thumb up his ass instead of reigning them in.

So basically, you condemn US interference in Iraq yet you don't condemn US interference in Israel?

Do I detect double standards?

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Observer,

The more I see Bush and his behavior and incompetance, the more I see the lies, the blatant in your face bull#, I get more burning pissed off and see him transform before my eyes into a greedy demonic cockroach that I wish there was a god and a just god who would take his allmight boot and step on him and squash his miserable guts into an oozing viscous black bile that flows through his moneky veins hwere human blood normally flows.

I will say it:

I #ING HATE GEORGE BUSH AND I CURSE THE PARENTS AND THE GENETICS THAT BROUGHT HIM INTO EXISTANCE, AND I CURSE THE DAY FLORIDA, THE STATE FULL OF #ING SENILE RETIREES WHO CANT GET AN ELECTION STRAIGHT, WAS ADMITTED INTO THE UNION!

That said, All this # with Israel is disturbing the # out of me. I mean, yeah, they have #ed with thier arab neighbors before. That was before.

Now, we have the Israel supporting US forces who invaded a country for no good reason. US forces who are occupying an Arab nation. US forces who are seen as waging a war against Islam. We have a sick syncophant president who is out to antagonize everyone. And now, Israel, the US little master, is goign abotu freely bombing whoever the # they want.

The stakes are higher now, and Syria has a right to protest. Israel bombed what they claimed was a terrorist training camp. Have they presented proof of this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join