It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo Bans Allah in screen names

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaudri

109:1 Say: O disbelievers!
109:2 I worship not that which ye worship;
109:3 Nor worship ye that which I worship.
109:4 And I shall not worship that which ye worship.
109:5 Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
109:6 Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.

Hmm, seems that only substantiates what I have been saying.

That much respect for other religions in ISLAM is enough to expect that the Prophet of Islam be respected. Even if you donot respect the Prophet of Islam, Muslims are not going to disrespect other Prophets.

That's all fine, if one is a follower of Islam, of which I am not. No matter WHAT the Quaran says, it means nada to I, I don't HAVE to respect it.

To "expect" that ones Leaders/Prophets/Dieties are respected by those outside that religion is a VERY false, and obviously, dangerous expectation. Respect CAN NOT be expected from anyone - period.

NN

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I think the people saying that if Allah is banned, then words important to their own little cult should be banned as well, are a little wide of the mark. Surely the banning was due to problems that were already happening. I doubt anything would have had to have been done otherwise. Let's face it, if you're a repressed closet racist, where better to go spout xenophobic filth anonymously than Y! chat? The problem isn't double standards for Christians and Muslims, it's middle class white people, and their idiot kids using their computer to snipe.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

repect tr.v. To avoid violation of or interference with

Maybe we are working with different ideas of respect here. This is what I'm refering to, what are you refering to?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yahoo has no respect for Christians but it worries about offending Arabs and Jews?

How is that fair?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
[QUOTE]Yahoo has no respect for Christians but it worries about offending Arabs and Jews?

How is that fair?

How do you mean? What has shown that yahoo has less repect for Christians than it does for Arabs and Jews? Just out of curiosity.

Edit: And NoNik, I don't see how your excerpt has shown that Islam forces those of other faiths to believe in their God.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Look at the terms being banned and look for words that may be offending to Christians. How many do you see?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
None of these words are offensive unto themselves (however raghead comes close). These are just words, how they are used is what is offensive. Would you rather Yahoo bans the word Jesus, then you are unable to have the name "ILoveJesus". The point I'm trying to make is that it is more offensive to isolate a group, and deny them something that other groups are allowed. It's kind of an all or nothing thing.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
yeah you can make allah names now as the below link shows

edit.my.yahoo.com...?.fn=&.ln=&.id=allah_testname

Edited because i was to stupid to read the entire thread before posting

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Teknikal]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
this whole thread is nonsence i just checked on the yahoo page and had no trouble making an allah id for evidence of this try this link that checks the availability of an id.

Maybe reading the whole thread would of saved you some trouble.

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Yahoo caved. They withdrew the policy after some guy named Callahan wanted to use his name.

Funny, when Kallahar complains there is no response, but when Callahan complains Yahoo jumps.

Edit: I see you caught yourself.

[edit on 2/3/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   

repect tr.v. To avoid violation of or interference with

Maybe we are working with different ideas of respect here. This is what I'm refering to, what are you refering to?

Is this one to me?

In general, when using the word "respect", the following is almost universally implied

[1] A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem.
[2] The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
[3] Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

Such as the Aretha Franklin song, to know only the title of the song "Respect", no one would have ever thought she was talking about your referance.

I don't see how your excerpt has shown that Islam forces those of other faiths to believe in their God.

Ya, I see how my sentence can be taken both ways.

Nothing more than clarification:

What I mean is that, to me, it substanstiates that I should not be expected to respect the religion/beliefs/god/diety of another.

NN

[edit on 2-3-2006 by NoNik]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
NoNik, I think we may be clser in opinion than I thought. I only meant theat they believe what they believe and that's on them. They can worship who they want, and it won't matter one bit to me. Their teachings say the same to them, which I respect (a little more than Christianity which curses me for not following them).

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

NoNik, I think we may be clser in opinion than I thought.

Then yes, sounds like a common Internet forum misunderstanding.

I could care less what ANYone believes, it is THEIR belief. Just don't expect me to respect it, which is what all the rioting is about - forcing the media and the rest of the world to respect THEIR aspect of THEIR religion.

NN

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well this is what I think about that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join