It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I would like to propose a new additon to this board

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This board is great, we openly discuss the ufo phenomena by applying science and rationality to videos, stories, phots, etc. The thing is though this board doesn't directly host videos which are scattered around the net and are often hard to find. So I propose that we gather uncopyrighted materials and catalog them in some database here. This way we can compare and contrast materials much more efficiently and perhaps can find more correlations between all of these videos, pictures, stories...etc without digging for old links from way back when.

What do you guys think of this?

[edit on 15-2-2006 by Distortion]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
It would be nice to have a repository of videos and pictures that are properly indexed for all members to use.
It can be tough to find some stuff because of all the broken links in the older posts. Some threads are totally useless because pictures were hosted off the ATS site, and are gone, or members delete pictures they upload to ATS.

ATS needs a complete archive.....

Ram

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 02:44 AM
link   
i have a 30mb video clip - from an Mars landing 1962 i think the year was.. Around the net i had only been able to find a 2mb version of the same clip..

By the way - That would require alot of harddisk space.. and that cost money. But it's a good idea.

the Store room..

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
It would be an excellent idea, i agree, to have an archive of videos. But why limit it to videos on simply ufo's? Why not have a video archive of a variety of categories; ufo's, bigfoot, nessie, contrails, secret societies, movie trailers of note, comic convention coverage, interviews, etc.

And while we're at it, we must as well archive all of the videos that members send in when we move to the "next step"....video casting.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Sounds like a good idea to me, but what about all that space???
First, just to store it there, and then also every time it gets retrieved, that's like 30 MB a hit.

I think it needs to be captured because with all the digitalness and whatnot, all photos and videos of the past 10 years are just slowly disappearing now, since nothing is really actually kept as a physical copy. I bet at least one crazy dude already has a computer entirely devoted to pictures and videos of ufos, bigfoot, secret planes, and the like. I don't think ATS should take the burden of storing every weird photo or video ever made though, especially with all the people that would be hotlinking off of it.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Well Bittorrent may be feasible for popular items and larger items. Have people gain points by hosting files say 1 Meg of upload = 10 points or something like that. It's the next logical step beyond podcasting

[edit on 16-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sounds like a Very Brifgt Idea to me...........

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The bitorrent idea sounds brilliant. Would it be a condition that if you use the thread you must seed files at least most of the time your online?

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
brilliant idea backing it all the way

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think its a good idea to.....it would seem the natural next step for ATS, IMHO.....

I am taking the link to this thread into the Council forum for administration & council discussion....

Please members, keep showing your thoughts one way or the other on this idea on this thread...for you ~ARE BEING listened to~.....

...give us the pros and cons of the idea, keep talking ..

[edit on 16-2-2006 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
What about people on 56k or that have bandwidth limits? Like I have a 2GB per month limit, which sucks, and I'm already always just at the limit or over. So I can't afford any more big uploads/downloads. I don't see a need, with all the existing image and file hosting websites out there like imageshack and putfile.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
With all due respect with that logic why have podcasting if there are other podcast hosting services out there? Why have a file upload center if ImageShack exists? Why deprive a service which quite a few people want just because a few would not be able to use to it's fullest extent? Why bother adding any new features at all?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but just because YOU use up most of your bandwidth doesn't mean everyone else does the same.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It would be nice if the files could be hosted right on ATS in some way.
To reduce some of the bandwidth and space required, maybe these files could be available for download by ATS members only and not to the general public.

Perhaps we could only download files after paying some of our points for the privelage, and that should keep people from just downloading the stuff indiscriminately or multiple times.

An ATS archive for ATS members..........

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
There's two concerns here that aren't addressed:

copyrights -- who actually owns the films? There's a difference between being a Bittorent member and an actual host of the films (which could get us into legal trouble if we're given a copy of a copyrighted piece and we make it available for distribution as a host.)

space -- vids take a LOT of space and are a real drag on server performance.

Both of these could be addressed, I suppose, if we went to a paid membership site.

Now... all of you in favor of having to pay $10/month (for example) to access ATS... raise your hands (yes, I realize some would. But it stops a lot of new people from joining).

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Now... all of you in favor of having to pay $10/month (for example) to access ATS... raise your hands (yes, I realize some would. But it stops a lot of new people from joining).

not if you made it so you would only pay if you wanted to access the stored media section, the rest can still remain free

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Why not have a monthly subscription to access the videos and film clips, then new members can keep joining for free, then take out the subscription if they want to view the videos and clips.

Just a thought .

justyc beat me to it

[edit on 3-3-2006 by Mindwalker]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
What would this do to those members who are on dial-up?
Would it cause pages to load even slower?

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Depends on how it's handled. As long as the files aren't set on 'autoplay', then it shouldn't affect the dialup users (depending on traffic load, of course.) However, it can take a ridiculously long time to download large files on a dialup connection (I have both, and speak from experience).

link   

Depends on how it's handled. As long as the files aren't set on 'autoplay', then it shouldn't affect the dialup users (depending on traffic load, of course.) However, it can take a ridiculously long time to download large files on a dialup connection (I have both, and speak from experience).

link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join