It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA chief sacked for opposing torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Robert Grenier, the CIA’s top counter-terrorism official was relieved of his job last week because he questioned many of the techniques used in obtaining information from suspected terrorists.

The CIA’s top counter-terrorism official was fired last week because he opposed detaining Al-Qaeda suspects in secret prisons abroad, sending them to other countries for interrogation and using forms of torture such as “water boarding”, intelligence sources have claimed.

Robert Grenier, head of the CIA counter-terrorism centre, was relieved of his post after a year in the job. One intelligence official said he was “not quite as aggressive as he might have been” in pursuing Al-Qaeda leaders and networks.

Vincent Cannistraro, a former head of counter-terrorism at the agency, said: “It is not that Grenier wasn’t aggressive enough, it is that he wasn’t ‘with the programme’. He expressed misgivings about the secret prisons in Europe and the rendition of terrorists.”

Source

The CIA is still attempting to clean house. There are many leaks due to dissatisfaction within the organization.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhat
The CIA is still attempting to clean house. There are many leaks due to dissatisfaction within the organization.

All I can say is "it is about time". Mickey mouse organization anyway. These folks have really not done a lot in the way of house cleaning and have needed to for the last 8 years. IMHO. A new organization CIFA will prolly pick up the slack though.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
About time they got rid of the few people who might have a few morals left? I agree they need to clean house. Of the people who endorse the use of torture. Torture is never, ever right, in any case. Never. And aside from the moral argument, it's completely useless anyway because the torturer can make the torturee say exactly what they want, so the data is useless.

I commend this man for standing up for the moral thing to do, even if it got him sacked.

new topics

join