It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to identify a hoax?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hello there!

i would like to know how to identify a Hoax! How to know that we are not denying a true disclosure
??

I would like also to ask what others "disclosures" were hoaxes?

Thanks a lot

Supay

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
My personal opinion is a hoax is when it's found to be a story fabricated for a particular reason like selling a book or gaining credibility and attention in the UFO community.

Disclosure would be false information provided for the sole reason of confusing an actual true story that's imbedded somewhere in the disinfo.

IMO Burisch is a hoax (or he's telling the truth) as he's got agents and publicists and stands to make money from his story.

IMO Lazar is disinfo (or he's telling the truth) because there has yet to be a good "reason" (except the one he states in the story itself) that he told his story. He doesn't like the attention and hasn't made any money... which in my mind makes him closer to credible. 1) If he's disinfo, there's a grain of truth in there somewhere. 2) He' telling the truth as far as he knows it.

I think there's a large gray area too where hoaxes are transformed into disinfo campaigns and vice versa.

Just my opinions on it of course, Funk & Wagnall I ain't.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think it's incredibly difficult to pick a hoax from real, how is it that all footage is unfocused, grainy and in bad light, how many stills or footage have you seen where it's crystal sharp....... You could put any footage into a supposed "UFO" sighting, there was one time we were filming in our flat in the dark (it's not what you think!) and afterwards all you could see was lights from the hifi in the corner and i could have easily put that in as footage it looked just like the hundreds of clips i have seen. Lets get something we can really get our teeth into!

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Your real answer is 3 days, 3 replies, and only 64 views.
This is a place where hoaxes are the standard fare, the bigger and more outrageous the better,
and "dont tread on my hoax" is the response to any who have a differing opinion. Actually, thats
the meaning of the code phrase - "debunker".

"i would like to know how to identify a Hoax!" == supay

You have come to the right place. This is the "Walmart" for hoaxes. Pick a topic and
just read. But learn to discriminate as well. Occasionally, you will come across real, professional
work that stands out like diamonds. And many things in between. Most of the shiny stuff is marked
way down, or otherwise associated with hoax busting. And don't forget the "blue light" specials like
the Serpo thingy or the prophet YaHoo.

" How to know that we are not denying a true disclosure I would like also to ask what others "disclosures" were hoaxes" == supay

That one is as easy an obvious as it gets. What disclosures were hoaxes ? All of them of course.
Here is how you tell. If you are hearing about a disclosure from someone, and their lips are moving or their hands are
typing, its a hoax. Now pay close attention to this description. If you are hearing about disclosure from the source
and their tentacles are waving or other unidentifiable appendages are making threatening gestures, arm yourself and
prepare for the worst. Although it could be a clever photoshop ruse, I have yet to see one like it, so it could be the
real deal. Disclosure that does NOT come from the source is the litmus test.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Here is an easy one, its a ufo flying thru the desert.

Desert UFO

Notice how the camera seems to be waiting for it? Then follows it perfectly. That doesn't happen in real life. In real life people zoom in and out and the camera moves all over the place.

Wupy

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by supay
i would like to know how to identify a Hoax!

Look here: www.projectserpo.org...

That's how.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
My rules of thumb for weeding out hoaxes are this

1. Motive
  2. Logic
  3. Complexity

Motive

Is there motive in the actions in this conspiracy. Who is doing what, and why would they do that. For example, why would the Pope sterilize all the children in the world by feeding them Cocoa Puffs!? Thats a pretty weak conspiracy theory if it has no real good motive.

Logic

What logic is this conspiracy based under. If its under the basis that the pope has supernatural powers because he has the ring of the Freemasons, well, thats not quite logical. On the other hand, the idea that someone could rig the 2004 elections, well thats much more logical

Simplicity

If the conspiracy involves overly complex statistics and sequence of events in order for it to work, it's probably a hoax. Usually the most simplistic answer to a situation is the answer. If the conspiracy involves the Pope going to Iraq to assassinate Saddam Hussein and clone him to make him a pawn of the reptillians, it's probably a hoax.

So, Thats what I use to weed out the rest, but most importantly, just use your brain. If something doesnt seem right, thats your first clue.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
(smirk. Note to self. A little controversy usually will expand an interesting thread, just don't overdo it)

I can't believe ATS Tech Guy passed by the chance to bring in Titor, the classic classic. Serpo
aint in the same class. (My opinion of course)

And with WolfofWar beginning to organize tips, looks like supay is on the way to a fine, thoughtful,
and useful thread.

Good point, mrwupy. Excellent illustration. That video was well done, centered on topic, not
terribly blurred, and fascinating. All the things present that most such videos and photos lack.
My question is, why isn't it recieving rave reviews instead of the "hoax" stamp ? Why do those that
"could be anything" get such wild acclaim and the really good ones are "hoaxes" ?

Maybe because "the White Knight is talking backwards, and the Red Queen is on her head" ?

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Depends on who it rubs wrong. When you are taking on the major religions of the world, you are essentially trying to convince about 6 billion people. That is a tall order.

Hard to convince everyone, even if you shoot lightning up their azz, if they don't want to believe, they won't.

And then the threat of intimidation and even murder if you rub the wrong people.

Ironic.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Here's one!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They can be pretty obvious....

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
They will try to smear you using the usual tricks. Trick photos, I always wonder why they don't use an animated Usama Bin Laden, rather than just a voice makeover.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Nothing set in stone...but some red flags...

1. one person has numerous sightings of different craft, yet none of his friends/loved ones, etc. claim to have seen them (even if he has pictures).

2. the person in # 1 has pictures....claims to go inside them, yet never has a pic of a close up UFO or inside of one.

3. no real effort on the part of the person to file a report with a reputable organization logging such sightings.

4. limited details at first, and THEN later more details come into play. This is because the person has to "make the story better".

5. involvement of previously known hoaxers...

6. if it's too good to be true, it usually isn't....

7. ufo pics or vids with little in frame for referencing height, size, speed, etc. (i.e. like just against sky...nothing else in frame).

8. credibility of the witness of course.....

9. commercial motivation (as has been said). Is the guy trying to get rich or make some dough off of this? (this isn't an end all, be all, we're all human, but it should at least send a warning up).

10. if your first impression is "fake", well, that's a good indication it is....

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by supay
Hello there!

i would like to know how to identify a Hoax! How to know that we are not denying a true disclosure
??

I would like also to ask what others "disclosures" were hoaxes?

Thanks a lot

Supay

Easy, most of the Topics started on this website are Hoaxes OR delusions .
web sites like this are magnets for some people who live more in the fantasy instead of reailty..
Its easy enough to read someones story and the words they use to know they are a little coo coo in the head .

terriable to think that this web site is a microcasm of the kind of people in the world .

new topics

top topics

join