It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish Rite... no memorization work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It appears that there is no memorization work that you have to do to advance through the Scottish Rite.

Here is the link to the Utah Scottish Rite site:

www.utahscottishrite.org...

One must be a Master Mason to join, but the good part is that there isn't any memorization work like there is in the first three degrees. It is a very educational and enjoyable event. It is truly a series of lessons which capably round out one's Masonic knowledge.

If you don't have to memorize and recite stuff like in the Blue Lodge, then how to you advance through the degrees of the Scottish Rite? Are there other requirements? Do you just pay the membership fee and regular dues and they go ahead and dump all the rites on you? Do you have to sacrifice virgins or eat babies or something? Maybe you have to beat the Lodge Master at fussball.

How about the York Rite? Is there memorization for it as well?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This is a bit of a controversy in Freemasonry and, as far as I can tell, Lodges are split between those who believe that the ritual work should be memorised and those who are keen to churn candidates through the degrees.

I personally believe that degree work which involves no commitment or mental incorporation from the candidate is wasted.

As far as I know, there are very few lodges in Australia which offer the "32 degrees in a weekend" special.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama

If you don't have to memorize and recite stuff like in the Blue Lodge, then how to you advance through the degrees of the Scottish Rite?

There are no other requirements other than showing up. Master Masons in good standing who want to join the Scottish Rite will apply for the 4° - 32°. Most Scottish Rite Temples confer the degrees twice per year at Reunions, which, in my Temple, last for two weekends. Candidates are admitted in "classes", which are groups of candidates that usually number around 40.

We begin on Friday evening, commencing with the 4°. We confer the degrees back-to-back, picking up again on Saturday morning, going up to the 18°. The next weekend, we begin at the 19° and go up to the 32°.

Only in the Blue Lodge. There is no required memory work for the Chapter, Council, and Commandery.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roark

As far as I know, there are very few lodges in Australia which offer the "32 degrees in a weekend" special.

It is my understanding that Australia follows the British model. The Brits do not confer the 4° - 17° in ritual form, but simply confer them by proclamation, after which the 18° is ritualistically conferred. Since in England the basis of the Rite is the Rose Croix degree (18th), it is the natural stopping place for most members. This is contrast to the US, where the 32° is the natural stopping place.

Both the English and American systems of the Rite confer the degrees quickly up to the "membership" degree (18th and 32nd, respectively).

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

If you don't have to memorize and recite stuff like in the Blue Lodge, then how to you advance through the degrees of the Scottish Rite?

There are no other requirements other than showing up. Master Masons in good standing who want to join the Scottish Rite will apply for the 4° - 32°. Most Scottish Rite Temples confer the degrees twice per year at Reunions, which, in my Temple, last for two weekends. Candidates are admitted in "classes", which are groups of candidates that usually number around 40.

We begin on Friday evening, commencing with the 4°. We confer the degrees back-to-back, picking up again on Saturday morning, going up to the 18°. The next weekend, we begin at the 19° and go up to the 32°.

Only in the Blue Lodge. There is no required memory work for the Chapter, Council, and Commandery.

Note: That is not a universal Fact but might be depending on area.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by African459

Actually, it's pretty universal, inasmuch as the requirements have been determined by the General Grand Royal Arch Chapter International, General Grand Council of Cryotic Masons International, and Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States.

However, if you were referring to the Blue Lodge, then unfortunately, yes, some Grand Lodges have eliminated the memory work, even in the Blue Degrees. I stand in staunch opposition to this practice.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by Masonic Light]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Actually, it's pretty universal, inasmuch as the requirements have been determined by the General Grand Royal Arch Chapter International, General Grand Council of Cryotic Masons International, and Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States.

However, if you were referring to the Blue Lodge, then unfortunately, yes, some Grand Lodges have eliminated the memory work, even in the Blue Degrees. I stand in staunch opposition to this practice.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by Masonic Light]

Remeber I am a Lawful Prince Hall Masons, under such am noted as Lawful By UGLE

And in order to rec'v further light we still must show pro in EACH degree to be considered for advancement.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

And in order to rec'v further light we still must show pro in EACH degree to be considered for advancement.

Is this also the case in the PHA Scottish Rite?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
(Masonic Light would know best about this)

So, EVERY SINGLE degree in the SR has its own ritual? That's really cool. Probably a LOT to absorb in a weekend, but I guess that's why you have your whole life to read Morals and Dogma.

If all you have to do is apply for membership to the rites and not memorize anything, how come more people don't sign up?

When you say "there are no other requirements other than showing up," does this mean that you must attend lodge night on a weekly basis to be held eligible, or do you mean you have to show up on the days they do the degree work?

I ask because I may be moving to a military research facility about 1.5 hours away from any lodge, and I feel that regular attendance would be hampered by that. Of course, the lodge master I spoke with seemed pretty understanding of people who have work/family/religious obligations that supersede lodge night. I have all three to worry about

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   

(Masonic Light would know best about this)

So, EVERY SINGLE degree in the SR has its own ritual? That's really cool. Probably a LOT to absorb in a weekend...

Yes, but usually, some are omitted. The Scottish Rite, S.J., has 5 mandatory degrees that must be conferred in full ceremonial form: the 4°, 14°, 18°, 30°, and 32°. All other degrees are optional, and may be "communicated" by simply administering the obligation and reading the lecture. Then, the candidate may study the ritual in manuscript form at his leisure.

In many instances, the degrees are "rotated". For example, at one Reunion, the 7° and 8° may be ritually conferred, while the 9° and 10° are only communicated. But at the next Reunion, this is reversed. This allows all Initiates to witness all the degrees in full form should he so desire.

If all you have to do is apply for membership to the rites and not memorize anything, how come more people don't sign up?

Some people simply aren't interested. In the USA, roughly half of all Masons are 32° members of the Scottish Rite.

When you say "there are no other requirements other than showing up," does this mean that you must attend lodge night on a weekly basis to be held eligible, or do you mean you have to show up on the days they do the degree work?

On the degree work nights. Scottish Rite business meetinngs are held monthly, like most Blue Lodges. However, although attendance is solicited for business meetings, it is not required.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Thread closed as this is a conspiracy site.

join